How Possible Is It?

NewtoBKK

Hi,

When a few of my friends heard that I'm thinking of getting a used BMW, they advised me to wait a couple more months because prices of used cars are likely to drop considerably in this economic climate, especially mid-priced cars.

They reckon that I should be able to find the car I want (a 2004 BMW 323, 330, 523 or 530) for no more than 800,000 baht, depending on the exact model and condition. They also commented that the (used car) price differences between these models are not substantial even though the prices when bought new are quite different.

Anybody with any experience or thoughts to share? How valid are their thoughts on this? Thanks!

Hi,

When a few of my friends heard that I'm thinking of getting a used BMW, they advised me to wait a couple more months because prices of used cars are likely to drop considerably in this economic climate, especially mid-priced cars.

They reckon that I should be able to find the car I want (a 2004 BMW 323, 330, 523 or 530) for no more than 800,000 baht, depending on the exact model and condition. They also commented that the (used car) price differences between these models are not substantial even though the prices when bought new are quite different.

Anybody with any experience or thoughts to share? How valid are their thoughts on this? Thanks!

please let me know when your friends find such a car for sale at this price, i will be more than happy to buy.

who are your friends and what do they know about the used car trade in thailand, i refer to the statement above, i would love a bmw 5 series for 800k baht, please tell your friends to send me a pm, cash buyer awaits.

Hi,

Dream on!

Looks like you can just about

2004 E39 5 Series 800 -950k

2004 E 60 5 Series is more like 2 million

From the odd one I looked at last September the E35 2004 3 Series was the same price as the sane engined 5 series......

The E46 was a lot cheaper for the same engined/year 5 series

http://www.taladrod.com/w/Search/CarDet.aspx?cib=243897

The E39 was only produced until 2003, but you can find 2003 models that were registred in 2004. The digital odometer can be reset and service books fabricated, so do a good test drive and get a feeling for the car.

You usually get what you pay for.

I was thinking about the same thing myself. Have seen current shape 320's on that car site for about 1.6m, they all seem to be autos though, would have thought you would get a lot more out of that engine with a manual. Would really like to find the new diesel at a good price. The previous shape 5 series is also showing up at some interesting prices.

Years ago I had a 325 manual(two shapes back) in Thailand, without doubt the best car I have ever owned, that thing really moved.

Will probably start looking seriously in about 3 - 6 months, if can get a bargain on a BMW then will will, otherwise I will buy one of the generic and largely boring Japanese pop-outs new, probably a Triton 4WD (I know it is a bit different to a BMW :o but like it the best from the other options) and use the savings to buy another condo.

Ahh... sorry that I didn't clarify - I meant the E39 5 series, the E60s definitely cost a lot more.

When I first heard the prices, they did seem pretty low but if we consider the combination of a drop in demand and an increased need for cashflow by current owners for whatever reason or an inability to repay the car loan, it could very well be possible. It was apparently similar during the last Asian financial crisis...

Anyway, will have to see what happens in the next few months :-)

Gravelrash - hope we don't end up trying to outbid each other some time down the road!