Looking For Thai Grocery Store Near Texarkana

Padkapow Guy

The wife and I had to relocate to Texarkana, not a oriental grocery store in sight. Just about everyone down here thinks all oriental food is chinese food. Not a Thai resturant in the city.

I went to Dallas last weekend and found a very nice Vietnamese grocery store (Saigon Mall) that has evrything we need except Holy Basil (GRAPAO). We checked 3 other store and haven't had any luck.

So if there is anyone in the Dallas , Texarkana or Little Rock areas that know where I can get some fresh Grapao or even order it on line I would truely appreciate the info.

Also if there are any Thai's living in Texarkana area who would like to meet one of the best Thai cooks in the states send me a PM.

Padkapow Guy is not happy without grapao so any help is appreciated

thanks

PKG

You are in luck. About 180 miles north of Texarkana on Highway 71 is Fort Smith, Arkansas that has one of the largest Thai and Lao communities (per capita) in the US. There are several Thai-Lao-Vietnamese grocery stores in town and also fresh green markets are held in the summertime where you can buy fresh items unavailable in most of the rest of the country. (mostly Lao and Issan items) such as Khai Mot Dang (red ant eggs) and Het Hoo Noo (Mouse ear mushrooms) and many other imported and locally grown Thai-Lao items. Bai Grapao (regular basil) and Bai Horapa (holy basil) are common.

If you are wondering why Fort Smith of all places would have such a large Southeast Asian population it is because it is directly adjacent to Fort Chaffee which was a processing point for the thousands of refugees that came to the US after the Vietnam War. ( Many Thais who worked at airbases in Ubon, Udorn, Nakorn Sawan and Utapao passed themselves off as refugees and also tagged along.) Many of these people found the mountains and rivers of the Ozarks similar to the areas around their former homes so they just stayed in the area rather than move. In recent years many Thais from the LA area weary of the crime and high cost of living have chose to relocate there too. It's an interesting place to visit. Here is a link to the local Thai Wat: wat Buddhasamakeedham and here is the address:

Wat Buddhasamakeedham

4625 Amour Street

Fort Smith, AR 72904

Tel: (501) 782-0126

There is a total of 7 Buddhist temples in Fort Smith including Thai, Lao, Cambodian, Vietnamese and even Zen temples. There are also 4 Thai restaurants I know of, 3 are your common run-of-the-mill made for farang tastes places but one called simply "Thai Food" caters almost exclusively to the local Thai and Lao population, (which numbers in the thousands) and prepares probably the most authentic Thai and Issan food I have ever had in the US. They even have gang bpaa gob ( jungle curry with frog) on the menu. You won't find that on many West Coast Thai restaraunt menus.

I suggest that you and the wife go to the Wat, introduce yourselves and Wai Phra. I'm sure if you do, you will be warmly welcomed and someone will gladly show you where the Thai-Lao grocery stores are located.

Good luck on the move.

Edited by Groongthep