Worst Time Ever In Pattaya

SEAtramp

Always enjoyed Pattaya for what it was. Sadly this trip i cut my trip short to the city & travelled elsewhere.

Never seen the bar scene as bad as this year. No real buzz about the place. I reckon i have been once to often. Definatley looking for somewhere new this year.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Always enjoyed Pattaya for what it was. Sadly this trip i cut my trip short to the city & travelled elsewhere.

Never seen the bar scene as bad as this year. No real buzz about the place. I reckon i have been once to often. Definatley looking for somewhere new this year.

Your obviously drinking in the wrong bars then :o

I don't see pattaya as being much quieter than last year.

Pattaya has got quieter for 3-4 years now. This year was quieter as in DEAD.

How can it be dead? Do you live here?

If it was'nt for 1am closing we would be better than last year. The volume of customers is the same.

In november I was doing better business than the previous year AND closing at 1am.

Last Wednesday was our 3rd busiest night of the year.

Edited by davethailand

I wonder if the clampdowns have dampened everything. Sounds like it!

Dampened is a word i would put on Pattaya. When the bars are not ringing in the Baht its clear to see the Thai smile not in evidence. Which i might add reflects on the punter & his night out.

The 1 o clock closing gave Pattaya a pathetic feel. All dressed up ready for the ball when the lights go out & music turned of. Incidentally the music was being monitored by the police so many bars had it low all night.

Myself and other bars/clubs i know have'nt had any hassle whatsoever regarding the volume laws, Alot of bars are normally open until 2am (not all) and the usual beer bars still operate 24 hrs.

I still think Pattaya is a great place for a night out. :D

The only whinging i've really heard is on another board with blokes worrying that they won't be able to get their ends away whilst still being cheap charlies. :o

If it was'nt for 1am closing we would be better than last year.
And last year was what?
The volume of customers is the same.

The volume "maybe" the same but, spread over how many additional bars since last year?

In november I was doing better business than the previous year AND closing at 1am.

Last wednesday was the 29 Dec! Almost the peak of the festivities. If you were not busy then i fear for your livelyhood.

Do i live there? Does it matter?

Pattaya is evolving - get used to it as it aint going to be reversing anytime soon unless Mr T loses the election. Having said that, its heaps better than Bangkok these days and every time I am in Pattaya (eg last 2 days), it seems to be very busy, although I tend to focus on Walking Street area more than anywhere else. I used to like Pattayaland 2 but have not been there for a year or more as all the bars seem to have big problems in getting attractive women working there.

Alot of bars are normally open until 2am (not all) and the usual beer bars still operate 24 hrs.

A lot of bars ! are normally open until 2am !! not all !!! Is that some code speak for finding a speakeasy? Say it how you will..Its 1 o clock and its end of story.

If it was'nt for 1am closing we would be better than last year.

And last year was what?

The volume of customers is the same.
The volume "maybe" the same but, spread over how many additional bars since last year?

Last wednesday was the 29 Dec! Almost the peak of the festivities. If you were not busy then i fear for your livelyhood.

Do i live there? Does it matter?

Right here we go-

What do you mean last year was what?

Last year i'm referring to means last high season.

I'm not worried additional bars that might have popped up, Walking St is my concern.

Ok then, Certain nights in november we were taking the same money as last wednesday.

I think it does matter if you live here because your not seeing things the same way as a bar owner who lives here.

This idiotic government are screwing things up as it is but it does'nt help when there (IMHO) are ovet the top comments being made about holiday resorts.

First timers could still come here now and be blown away by the place. :o

Edited by davethailand

Pattaya is evolving - get used to it as it aint going to be reversing anytime soon
Pattaya evolved many years ago with bars being open all night. Now if you had said dissolve.. :o And heres the rub..why should anyone need to get used to it? This of course is the problem..people do not want to get used to it.
First timers could still come here now and be blown away by the place. 
But first timers are usally refered to Pattaya by old hands. I myself have introduced many many people to Pattaya with tales of smiling faces, late night bars where the music never stops etc etc. But can you tell me how i can gloss the place to any degree with 1 am closing.

Valid points on all sides here. Pattaya has lost its bite for me personally over the past couple of years but that could be a case of overkill. Early closing has certainly been a big factor though.

I used to like being able to drift out of my hotel at around 10PM, meet up with mates and have a hassle free drift around and see where the night took us. Now you can't do that. Its all rush around before it closes down.

That said I still love Pattaya and I just hope things don't get any worse.

I'm pleased Dave is doing well! I just hope my fave places are doing equally as well!!

Pattaya is evolving - get used to it as it aint going to be reversing anytime soon unless Mr T loses the election

I disagree. Pattaya/Thailand is taking huge backward strides as far as nightlife goes at the moment.

Edited by ProfessorFart

While I chose Chiang Mai over Pattaya to live, I still like to visit Pattaya for a "vacation" and I am really looking forward to the new airport that will reduce the trip from the airport to Pattaya by an hour, the only negative to my trips there.

Imagine the impact of the new airport and the decrease in travel time and expense to Pattaya can only be a big boost to my favorite "in Thailand" destination.

I visited Phuket this year, as it was much touted by afficiados of Thailand. I left after two days. My view it doesn't hold a candle to Pattaya!!!

I was there for Loy Kratong and I thought it was fairly quiet, but that is a trend that I have noticed over the last few years compared to say 10 years ago. I think that 9/11, SARS, Bird Flu and the Muslim trouble in the south have all contributed to a noticable downturn in numbers. I expect the recent events may also add to that.

QUOTE]I visited Phuket this year, as it was much touted by afficiados of Thailand. I left after two days. My view it doesn't hold a candle to Pattaya!!!

The two places are poles apart and you gain nothing from trying to equate the two as comparable. Phuket with its fine beaches & accommadating nightlife suffices for the lovers of Phuket.

Pattaya with its vastly superior nightlife "should" never be in question when arguing the toss between the two resorts, when it comes to the nightlife.

However i have begun to question it for different reasons for which i have already mentioned.

Added to my dissapointment with the place is the state of Pattaya. The beach front is diabolical. The sea is awash with garbage, the long standing bar owners have become complacent with sanitary conditions & the general conditions all round.

And topping the list of a predominant number of bars that have become filthy holes are the ones run by farangs.

I visited Phuket this year, as it was much touted by afficiados of Thailand. I left after two days. My view it doesn't hold a candle to Pattaya!!!

The two places are poles apart and you gain nothing from trying to equate the two as comparable. Phuket with its fine beaches & accommadating nightlife suffices for the lovers of Phuket.

Pattaya with its vastly superior nightlife "should" never be in question when arguing the toss between the two resorts, when it comes to the nightlife.

However i have begun to question it for different reasons for which i have already mentioned.

Added to my dissapointment with the place is the state of Pattaya. The beach front is diabolical. The sea is awash with garbage, the long standing bar owners have become complacent with sanitary conditions & the general conditions all round.

And topping the list of a predominant number of bars that have become filthy holes are the ones run by farangs.

Because unfortunatley they begin not to care as long as the cash is rolling in, I could'nt even think of how many bars I would never use the toilet in.

This of course and the fact that other drunken farangs don't have any respect for property.

This of course and the fact that other drunken farangs don't have any respect for property.

Nonsence..When a toilet doesent flush, when there is no toilet paper or water,when the toilets have not been cleaned for xxdays etc etc is this the fault of a drunken farang?

You put a pig in a stye and it will wallow.

My view is that Pattaya is packed at the moment,I will be glad when a few go home,(can't get a seat in my regular bars)the bars that are doing very well,are the ones offering value for money in the drink prices.

Most of the go-gos are still 2am,and the beer bars are open as long as they have customers,so nothing has changed that way.

Much busier,and more atmosphere than the last couple of years IMHO.

the bars that are doing very well,are the ones offering value for money in the drink prices.
That sounds logical enough :o Care to name a few?
Most of the go-gos are still 2am,

Try getting in one on soi 6 after 1 am.

My view is that Pattaya is packed at the moment,

Packed with Koreans, Russians, chinese, all walking up & down Walking St. or parading around Mikes shopping mall. But in bars!!

Edited by SEAtramp

Because unfortunatley they begin not to care as long as the cash is rolling in, I could'nt even think of how many bars I would never use the toilet in.

On the subject of toilets, seem to recall the ones in the Blues Factory would NOT make the "good bog guide" in my humble opinion unless you have done them up in the last year.

On a plus note, the ones in Electric Blue and Dollhouse are good and always clean as are Mistys in Pattayaland 2, so it can be done. Carousel as a bar smells like a toilet so heaven knows how bad they are inside the actual toilets. The winner though of my "good bog guide" must be Riva's at the Grande Sheraton in Bangkok - the toilets far outshine the rest of the club.

Edited by Digger

Nonsence..When a toilet doesent flush, when there is no toilet paper or water,when the toilets have not been cleaned for xxdays etc etc is this the fault of a drunken farang?

This is a problem where hopefully we're not guilty (apart from a water shortage which is beyond our control) this is why i don't use many bar toilets (not for a sit down anyway).

My view is that Pattaya is packed at the moment,I will be glad when a few go home,(can't get a seat in my regular bars)the bars that are doing very well,are the ones offering value for money in the drink prices.

Most of the go-gos are still 2am,and the beer bars are open as long as they have customers,so nothing has changed that way.

Much busier,and more atmosphere than the last couple of years IMHO.

there you have it from another resident. :o

This is a problem where hopefully we're not guilty

Who is not guilty? You or the user?

This is a problem where hopefully we're not guilty

Who is not guilty? You or the user?

Me not being guilty of having broken toilets,

The mens especially is kept clean all night by the guy in there.

There is ALWAYS paper in the toilets.

I've spent 15000 bht on seperate tanks and pumps to feed my toilets but when the main supply is inadequate there is'nt much i can do apart from dustins full of water in each toilet.

On the subject of toilets, seem to recall the ones in the Blues Factory would NOT make the "good bog guide" in my humble opinion unless you have done them up in the last year.

Yes they have been completely refurbished and will be done again soon thanks to the crap job that was done by the builders. :o