Five 'rogue' Radio Stations Face Closure

Jai Dee

Five 'rogue' radio stations face closure

PM's Office Minister Satit Wongnongtaey yesterday instructed officials to consider taking legal action against five community radio stations allegedly violating laws, human rights' principles and being used as political tools to instigate unrest.

Satit said he received many complaints so he decided to meet with the Public Relations Department's broadcasting sub-committee to consider action against at least five community radio stations in Chiang Mai, Lamphun, Udon Thani, plus the Taxi Lovers Club station in Bangkok.

"If we let them continue to instigate unrest, the country will not be in peace. We must draw up moves to take action. There will not be discrimination [against rivals]," he said.

Asked if the stations would be closed down, Satit said the sub-committee would decide what action to take within the rele-vant laws and rules.

"Some stations use very aggressive language. The sub-committee must take quick action against them," he said.

Satit dismissed fear that supporters of the radio stations would oppose such action. He said no one was above the law.

He said local radio stations across the country would be restructured in April. But the plan to crack down on "rogue" community stations had nothing to do with a planned major rally by red-shirt protesters on Saturday.

He said the government would under-take the restructuring without discrimina-tion or political bias.

Source: The Nation - 29 January 2009

Five 'rogue' radio stations face closure

"Some stations use very aggressive language. The sub-committee must take quick action against them," he said.

Source: The Nation - 29 January 2009

Wow. However, that's nothing compare to the language used by the master Sondhi.

Some stations use very aggressive language

I don't know whether it's true or not, but those who use local radio stations to instigate beatings and murder need to be put in jail, forget the petty stuff like licenses.

Agreed. And those media mogals who use their magazines ( The Manager ) to disclose the home addresses of two students choosing not to stand in cinemas and encourage violent attacks on them also need to be put in jail don't you agree Plus ?

As there is rules in place to regulate radio frequency licenses these stations clearly must be shut down. There is no way around it.

I'm all ears for the 'democracy-law-and-order-and-love-Thaksin'-fans defend why illegal radio-stations should be allowed, under the presumption that the majority closed down are supportive of their cause...

..those media mogals who use their magazines ( The Manager ) to disclose the home addresses of two students choosing not to stand in cinemas and encourage violent attacks on them also need to be put in jail don't you agree Plus ?

I'm not sure The Manager encouraged violent attacks on two students. I also think there was only one, but I might be wrong.

The guy was attacked by fellow movie goers, afaik. You just don't mess with this kind of things in Thailand and there's no need to bring this into radio stations case.

Both Udon and Chiang Mai mobs are led by radio stations hosts and they did some despicable things. I'm pretty sure they used their radios to mobilise hundreds if not thousands of people to violently attack peaceful rallies and meetings.

I don't know how one can argue in their defence.

I don't know whether it's true or not, but those who use local radio stations to instigate beatings and murder need to be put in jail, forget the petty stuff like licenses.

Agreed. And those media mogals who use their magazines ( The Manager ) to disclose the home addresses of two students choosing not to stand in cinemas and encourage violent attacks on them also need to be put in jail don't you agree Plus ?

Any encouragement of violence through a governmentally sanctionable transmission medium

should be subject to closure for inciting violence. The radio stations have been inciting public violence.

While I found the Manager article on the lady not standing in movies being a poor use of the law

for pro monarchist sentiment, and CERTAINLY printing her address was poor form or worse.

I don't remember anything about encouraging actual violence against her.

It certainly was not a good use of the press.

But these rogue radio stations are clear and present danger to the public safety.

They are being used as a focusing agent for violent attacks in public places of dissenting voices.

The radio stations basically operate because there is an opposition to the present govt situation. They have only risen in importance as the channels of dissent have been squeezed.

There is obviously the willpower to squeeze further in order to try and achieve a national consensus that probably doesn't exist. In doing so national interest may become more polarised from the interests of certain groups. The govt is playing a game of squashing the opposing voice. They are gambling on whether the genie can be forced into the bottle again, except they maybe creating more internal pressure within the bottle. Presumably one day something triggers the lid to come off.

They are trying to close the stations for inciting violence, not for having "opposing voice".

As for national consensus - it appears that guys from Udon and Chiang Mai are rather radical elements without any broad support. The national consensus is that they should not engage in violent behaviour.

We are being told they incite violence. Who has actually listened to them?

What are they saying?

As for national consensus - it appears that guys from Udon and Chiang Mai are rather radical elements without any broad support. The national consensus is that they should not engage in violent behaviour.

Just because someone is radical, it does not mean you cut out their vocal chords. They should be given freedom of speech. Unfortunately for the Democrats, the PAD set somewhat of a precedent with inciteful speeches and actions and the length of the leash they were on. The present govt et al is now scared that the opposition will try the same.

Of course the the PAD were careful not to actually condone violence in their vitriolic diatribe but you wouldn't need to be Einstein to read between the lines.

As for being the more radical elements, the operators of the radio stations probably are, but those behind them and in support of them probably less so, but their list of grievances certainly doesn't put them in the much desired block of national consensus. But as with all opposition the more you squeeze them the more radical they become. It will create a veritable little hotbed of discontent ready for someone to utilise.

As for the "rogue" element, isn't it the case that these radio stations were outlawed after the 2006 coup. They were outlawed as being anti military and anti coup. Well at least something hasn't changed, here we see the military trying to hide behind the govts trouser legs again.

The govt is playing a game of squashing the opposing voice.

There were post a few month back on youtube clip of ASTV and translation into Thai in this forum. I will search try to search for it when I have time. I remember it is a speach by Sondhi telling the PAD supporters, something like "If the police try to search you for weapons, shoot them; don't worry, PAD will protect you from any legal issue".

Calling violence by ASTV/PAD/Sondhi? That was just one example.

There were post a few month back on youtube clip of ASTV and translation into Thai in this forum. I will search try to search for it when I have time. I remember it is a speach by Sondhi telling the PAD supporters, something like "If the police try to search you for weapons, shoot them; don't worry, PAD will protect you from any legal issue".

please provide that link, I doubt that.....

I'm afraid I don't know exactly what is involved with closing down a radio station. But apparently the task for closing them down in the north rests with the military's 3rd division based in Phitsanuloke .

Serious stuff this, rests in the camp of national security. Govt can't be trusted with such important stuff.

Wonder how this will contribute to the aim of a national consensus and an everlasting "Hello Kitty" moment.

please provide that link, I doubt that.....

h90, here is the link

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/findpost-p2365871.html

FF to min 30. The sound file is still there too

http://www.managerradio.com/Radio/DetailRa...rogram_id=21182

Just because someone is radical, it does not mean you cut out their vocal chords.

They are not closed for being radical but for inciting violence.

Again, I don't listen to them, but judging by their actions I tend to think they do overstep the boundaries in their broadcast.

Any encouragement of violence through a governmentally sanctionable transmission medium

should be subject to closure for inciting violence. The radio stations have been inciting public violence.

While I found the Manager article on the lady not standing in movies being a poor use of the law

for pro monarchist sentiment, and CERTAINLY printing her address was poor form or worse.

I don't remember anything about encouraging actual violence against her.

It certainly was not a good use of the press.

But these rogue radio stations are clear and present danger to the public safety.

They are being used as a focusing agent for violent attacks in public places of dissenting voices.

Hello Animatic, nice to cross swords with you again albeit they are only made of styrofoam. Hope you and your lady had an enjoyable festive season and that your dollar goes a long way this year.

To business. I am posting a couple of links for you and Plus that I hope you will find informative regarding The Manager as you may have missed them the first time around.

Briefly , Mr Chotisak Onsung and his girlfriend Chutima ( lost surname ) attended the cinema and did not stand for the Royal Anthem. As a result , Mr Onsungs picture was printed in The Manager along with home address.

The second target of The Manager was Ms Jitra Kotchadej , Chairwoman of the Triumph workers union , who was singled out for wearing a T shirt expressing the rights to different views in society including not standing up in the cinema.

As well as printing their pictures and home addresses The Manager urged people to attack them and promoted violence against them :

http://www.prachatai.com/english/news.php?id=642

http://www.prachatai.com/english/news.php?id=577

You will know from my previous posts that I always condemn violence regardless of who is commiting it. If the radio stations in question have promoted violence then IMO I concur with Plus that they should be closed. However, clear evidence of this should be provided even though the issue is their legality rather than their content. If however, one believes that they should be closed merely on their content then I think to be fair and unbiased, The Manager should recieve the same treatment.

Edited by Bangyai

Hello Bangyai, yes happy post festive season to you too.

I have not been around because I did a 2 week 2,000km trip south to north

in Myanmar, much of it back country in mini-vans and low level transport.

Ayarrwaddy to Katchin inclusive.

Only 2 air flights, because time was running short.

All our worries and pecadillos in LOS are nothing compared what's to there.

And I seriously doubt the worst potential government here would ever

resemble that one. Nor let things descend that far....

Too much money to be made here for too many, even in bad times.

I even playing in a hotel band, by invitation, two nights.

If you have the opportunity, avoid Mandalay...Worse pollution than Canton China.

Ok into it.

I thought the 'not standing in theater' was quite provocative,

but then also found posting their addresses was worse.

I agree with you on that. I did before too.

But I don't remember it being a call for actual violence against him.

I see second hand reports, and loud outrage,

but never the quoted text of the Manager daily,

with 'the words used' calling for actual physical violence to be used against them.

A word, "attack" second hand, is used, but verbal attacks are valid,

and physical attacks are not.I get attacked here from time to time,

but it's not like, hypothetically, as if PD tried to cold cock me on instigation of Laopo,

at the TVF New Years bash. A world of difference.

This lady was an 'activist'; read in many cases provoquateur, trying to get a reaction.

In this case she got it.More than she expected too. I have little sympathy for ANY side

in this bruhaha. The couple, nor the ass who harassed them in the theater.

I also note Kuhn Giles Upk. was the author and we easily can understand his editorial biases.

So grain of salt for the precisions involved in condeming Manager....

The lady at the factory in question, well I saw her as a victim of the company looking for an

excuse for union busting. Ousting an organizer in their midst for a flimsy pretext.

And it snowballed into the press.

In both cases pretty much S.O.P. B.S. TIT.

And in both cases political capital being made on the backs of

smaller fish looking to get notice and not eaten whole in the trying.

Edited by animatic

Timed out... continued

I see attempts to cow these little fish, and make political capital of events of the day.

But I didn't hear of either of those three actually being physically attacked,

through being instigated by managers actions. I have seen NO reports of them being

more than yelled at. Intimidation it certainly is. And that certainly isn't laudable, but IS political.

On the other hand, these radio stations specifically contributed to the rampage

through Chaing Mai University during Allumni night and the library cheif was physically assaulted.

There are actual instances of actual violence, mirroring the calls for violence from these radio stations.

Again apples and grapes in comparison. Not excusing Managers bad actions.

Edited by animatic

I see the point against the Manager. Since it's a registered, licensed and juristic entity, why don't they just sue them? Is it because there are no actual grounds for the suit? A few fiery words is all there is to it?

Now imagine that Kwanchai used his radio station to mobilise and coordinate the mob that attacked peaceful PAD rally in Udon last year? Told them the time and the place, where and when they are supposed to assemble and so on.

This committee didn't say anything about ASTV telling many lies since 2006. Maybe they only check radio stations and not tv stations.

No one is allowed to do this and that except PAD/elite/Army/Dems and some more.

Yellow/PAD/elite/Army/Dems have mandate from the top. They are the untouchable. Unless you don't want to walk free.

Govt warned on radio station closure threat

A media advocate reminded the government Thursday it had no mandate to shut down community radio stations - that power was vested only in the broadcasting regulator, the National Telecommunications Commission.

Supinya Klangnarong was replying to remarks by PM's Office Minister Sathit Wongnongtaey, who threatened to close rogue stations for airing programmes deemed to sow divisiveness and insult the monarchy.

Supinya said the Constitution and relevant laws banned the government from interfering with broadcasting media outlets.

Source: The Nation - 30 January 2009

:o

Or the reds can stop making it so easy for the 'oppressive regime' to shut them down by actually trying to play by the book, i.e. getting licenses...

I believe it was the military that revoked those licenses after the last coup.