Thailand Elite Card Is Abandoned

george

I bought a card 5 years ago… because it was cheap (I apologize to those who think otherwise).

I have been enjoying 5 years of trouble free stay in Thailand because of Thailand Elite and the Special Entry visa… Priceless.

I never used any privilege, apart from the great airport service and the Special Entry visa.

Already more than enough for me… I am very grateful to Thailand Elite.

Yes, I have money… I am very happy about it and I am certainly not going to apologize for being who I am to those who are less fortunate.

Yes, I bought the card, even I graduated from Harvard Business School and INSEAD.

Yes, I am convinced that I am more educated and come from a far better background than most of the Thai Visa members who criticize the TE program.

Yes, I (happily) injected lots of millions in the Thai economy knowing very well the instability of this country.

Yes I bought a few (very) expensive cars, built a wonderful property, fly First Class, …, and bought an Elite Card. But (believe it or not) I still can make friends with everyone, of any origin and from any level of the society (avoiding like the pest all jealous foreigners though...)

Yes, I evolve in the (Thai) high society but have most of my real friends (most of them Thais) coming from the lower end of the society.

Yes, I did learn and do speak fluently Thai, which makes me understand Thailand and its people (and politics) better than many Thai Visa members (who are “oldies” who came here since many more years than me and seem to think they are so smart :o ).

Yes, I do believe that what made me stay in Thailand is not destiny but Thailand Elite.

Yes, I can say that without Thailand Elite I would never have set up a foundation that sends students to university (here and abroad) or made artistic and society events which appeared many times in the press or on TV.

Yes, I can say that thanks to Thailand Elite it has been easy for me to help many disadvantaged people around me.

Yes, I think that TE could be successful if well managed… and (Ouch!) should probably be more expensive. One million is a too low price for rich people to consider it as a “serious offer”. But at only one million I thought it would be stupid of me not to buy a card…

Everyone who knows me personally will certainly see me as an easy going, approachable and generous (rich) person.

Jealous and sorrow Thai Visa members will only see me as a brainless Thailand Elite member... up to them.

In any case, reading all the negative posts here, I am sooooooo happy that I am on my side of the society, able to enjoy my life happily, make people happy around me, spend money, … and buy memberships such as Thailand Elite.

I wish all the best for Thailand Elite and hope that it stays afloat for a long time.

PS: No, I don’t understand why I still read the silly posts on here. I must be addicted… :D

Just because the name is "ELITE" many people link elite members with politicians or the elites of thai society.

ELITE is something money cannot buy.

You earn it by dressing in Yellow, and help to shut down airports to become a Bangkok ELITE.

Sometime PAD may also upgrade your status to become a FM member.

emmm no i do not support the bankers bailout - they blew our money by their recklessness and we should not have to pay for these 'banksters' mistakes (unless you are of the school of thought that this is organised seizure of assets)....but that is kinda off topic - i don't see what this has to do with that. These are people who spent their own cash on an investment to live here, i would think in most cases the card was bought purely for the visa. What does it matter if they are wealthy or not....are you saying anyone with a bit of cash deserves to lose their consumer rights and be ripped off? :D As i said some of us who have been here a while were wisely suspicious, but that still does not make it right for these people to get scammed, whether they could afford the to lose the money or not. These are individuals personal wealth, not a banks fraudulent misuse of our wealth.

Do you use the word " investment " loosely ?

" are you saying anyone with a bit of cash deserves to lose their consumer rights and be ripped off? "

Come on this is Thailand :o People get ripped off every day

Like I said in an earlier post, why would anyone

in their right mind pay for a lifetime subscription

in this day and age when nothing last forever…!

And didn’t these people ask why a company like this needed

to charge up front? They had almost no overheads and

wasn’t it also fishy the bank account was in Singapore ? :D

I'm a owner of the Elite card...already have a permanent residents

The Thailand Elite applications forms I have seen state one cannot become a member if they are a permanent resident and if they become a permanent resident later, they must forfeit Elite membership. In light of this, your post seems to lack credibility so would you mind clearing this up?

I'm not 100% sure with the permanent residence stuff since my dad got it all sorted out when I was younger. But i have a white book which is a permanent residence book, also have a yellow travel book which i use to travel in and out of the country, this I need to renew the visa every year. Therefore I would not need my original passport to go in and out of the country. I guess I have temporary permanent residence, I can stay in thailand for as long as I want till my visa expires and I have to renew it again which is every year. If the business closes down or for other reasons, my permanent residence would be revoked, so its not really permanent in a way. Hope that clears some things up for you. But my case is 100% legal with the policies of Thai Elite, not cutting through any red tape here. :D

... and as if a Thai official is going to refuse 1,000,000 baht over this minor PR technicality... :o

Do you use the word " investment " loosely ?

" are you saying anyone with a bit of cash deserves to lose their consumer rights and be ripped off? "

Come on this is Thailand :o People get ripped off every day

Like I said in an earlier post, why would anyone

in their right mind pay for a lifetime subscription

in this day and age when nothing last forever…!

And didn’t these people ask why a company like this needed

to charge up front? They had almost no overheads and

wasn’t it also fishy the bank account was in Singapore ? :D

Yes it was fishy, probably why so many people did not take it. I STILL say it isn't right to laugh at these people losing their money on this. It was a government supported and endorsed card - that should count for something and it doesn't matter that it was a previous government, the current one should maintain face for Thailand and find a solution for those who took it in good faith. So far it seems that they are making an attempt to do this by extending the visa rights for cardholders.

People getting ripped off every day in Thailand is not an excuse either, it is more reason for us to make noise about it rather that shrug it off and blame fellow ex pats for being stupid or naieve with their cash.

I'm a owner of the Elite card...already have a permanent residents

The Thailand Elite applications forms I have seen state one cannot become a member if they are a permanent resident and if they become a permanent resident later, they must forfeit Elite membership. In light of this, your post seems to lack credibility so would you mind clearing this up?

I'm not 100% sure with the permanent residence stuff since my dad got it all sorted out when I was younger. But i have a white book which is a permanent residence book, also have a yellow travel book which i use to travel in and out of the country, this I need to renew the visa every year. Therefore I would not need my original passport to go in and out of the country. I guess I have temporary permanent residence, I can stay in thailand for as long as I want till my visa expires and I have to renew it again which is every year. If the business closes down or for other reasons, my permanent residence would be revoked, so its not really permanent in a way. Hope that clears some things up for you. But my case is 100% legal with the policies of Thai Elite, not cutting through any red tape here. :D

... and as if a Thai official is going to refuse 1,000,000 baht over this minor PR technicality... :o

what is a yellow travel book

please

I STILL say it isn't right to laugh at these people losing their money on this.

Some people like to sit on the sidelines and laugh at those who failed and curse those who succeed.

Personally I am not laughing at anyone as I was almost one of the buyers and even if not I would not be kicking a man when he's down. I am laughing at Thailand in a good natured way and how even good ideas seem to end in smoking ruins. I think they should take out the word Elite and whole concept of Eliteness and just offer a long term visa option for people under retirement age. Thailand prancing around like they are Elite in anyway is what makes me laugh. Just like I laugh at hiso's who are so proud of being the highest rung on the lowest ladder.

The 5 year rolling visa is a decent idea they should figure out some price one can pay every 5 years with smaller 3 month renewal fees.

Its one of those many gimmicks that is used to rip off visitors' and foreigners' money. Becareful of how you spend your money in Thailand as its easy to lose it all for gimmicks in the land of unauthentic smiles. This is a land who has an eye for foreigners' money but not providing genuine products which are true for its value.

Too many rip offs.

Foreigner buys elite card, priviledges canceled now.

Foreigner see cute sex coyote girls, later finds out you have to pay THB 500 for a bottle of beer and worse...no sex.

Foreigner invest in a hotel or factory in Thailand, later goes bankrupt because they close airport

Foreigner pays higher for almost everything or at least thats what most Thai people want. Like exorbitant fees for national parks.

Service provided is less than satisfactory but you'll notice they are very punctual at chasing you for payment or cut the services when you are just a day late.

The reaction of most Thai people in the service centers who can't speak English is dispicable and rude. They just avoid you.

Conclusion is that in Thailand, Foreigner PAYS $$$$$, and PAYS $$$$$ and pays $$$$........then its extreme nationalism, what ever you bought belongs to Thailand because government change policy and change policy and change policy....notice how foreigners are not allowed to have more than 50% shares in a company anymore...how they want foreigners to buy their expensive condos but sorry no bank loans and then allocations of units not more than 49%. Its too much !!.....don't get cheated by all the temptations they are trying to lure foreigners into parting with Their (foreigners) money in Thailand.

BEWARE.......

Just to see Thailand as a merchandise, each merchandise has it own characteristics; specifications; and a price tag. Thailand has its own economic and political model; and it unique culture; there is no right or wrong. If you like it here, great! If not, you can go shop somewhere else.

By the way, I am en Elite cardholder; like the others fellow members who posted here; I bought the membership for convenient and investment; status was not in the consideration whatsoever when I decide to buy this membership.

The Elite Card wasn't for cheap spas or golf of fast tracking thru immigration.

I submit it was an avenue for wealthy businessmen to buy contacts in the government. Elite card holders have access to politicians, generals.

Try to run a business here without any inside contacts. The card was a way to buy friends in high places, put them on your board.

I have to disagree with you, just because the name is "ELITE" many people link elite members with politicians or the elites of thai society. The government tries to make the member look like elites of the thai society, but they are just ordinary business owners in thailand who wants a little more convenience whether its for visas or have the priviledge to golf at numerous golf courses around thailand and use the various spa services. Elite members don't get to know any politicians or the real elite members of thai society when they join the program. You can run a business here without knowing any inside contacts, it will just take you longer to accomplish what you want. As everyone knows a little money in thailand can save you lots of time and trouble, no need to know any politicians or people with any influence. The card is not a way to buy friends in high places and put them on your board, that you have to find on your own. I just want to get the record straight, since everyone seems to be portraying elite members in a negative way when they don't have any first hand experience and just making things up!

Pay the membership and become a member of the boys club. You thought it was cheap spa treatments, golf and good seats in restaurants?

Elite Card members had an opportunity to meet and greet with the Prime Minister and a bunch of his cronies.

Get a few of them on your side and cut thru allot of crap doing business is the message I got.

I STILL say it isn't right to laugh at these people losing their money on this.

Some people like to sit on the sidelines and laugh at those who failed and curse those who succeed.

Ok I'll bite!

To those of you that don't understand why most people are laughing or even glee at your misfortune of trying to buy yourself a visa you weren't entitled to. Try to look at it this way, you're standing in line to check in your luggage for a flight to somewhere, and the line is going extremely slow, then you have this guy that walks by the line and try to check in at the first class counter, he has the same ticket as you, but he slips the check in guy some money to omit the two hour line that he should have been in. Then he get told to sod off and go to the back of the line and wait like everybody else. that's what just happened to the TPC holders.

Some of these TPC holders probably start to see that they have actually been the laughing stock of the expat community and Thai establishment as well, by trying to buy themselves into a society they don't know anything about. what concerns other foreigners here is that this paints us all with the same brush, i.e. that we are also stupid, spineless people with more money then wits.

To me the TPC saga is nothing more than a million baht bribe that went wrong, and as we all know, bribes don't come with a money back warranty, and seldom turns out be everything they promised to be.

I think that's why a lot of the "old hands" here on thaivisa warned against this scheme, trying to get around the phi/nong system in this country has proven to be very difficult, even for thai people, so the chances of foreigners succeeding in getting privileges they where not entitled to, was very slim.

It's not always about money, sometimes it's about who holds their hand over you.

Just ask Thaksin

I recall the buzz and bally-ho on this 'elite' card way back.

There were some real 'heavy-weights' proclaiming that the card was going to be there ticket to a 'new' Thailand.

Don't forget this came just as the visa clampdowns occured and I think Thaksin was gambling on this factor playing into their hands on card sales.

I have to admit I felt a little bit tempted, until I saw the clunkin' chunk o' change they were after!

To me the TPC saga is nothing more than a million baht bribe that went wrong, and as we all know, bribes don't come with a money back warranty, and seldom turns out be everything they promised to be.

On the contrary, the card was seen as a way to get a legal visa instead of skirting the law with visa runs, phony companies, and so forth. If it were a 'bribe' then why even bother? Go an alternate route and then go for permanent residency (which itself isn't exactly a transparent and clean process).

I didn't get one, mostly because I wasn't spending enough time in country and I had better things to do with my money... like investing in equities-ha!

The Elite program might be abandoned, but its promotional department is still at work. The ThaiElite folks had a commercial filmed at BKK airport today, and I was portraying the wealthy farang investor. I insisted on being paid in cash.

I have been enjoying 5 years of trouble free stay in Thailand because of Thailand Elite and the Special Entry visa… Priceless.

I've enjoyed 15 without the Elite Card. :o

I enjoy first class air travel and VIP treatment at the airport including fast track through Immigration.

So I've enjoyed all the privileges you have but paid nothing.

You still convinced you are brainier than those that criticise this scheme or were you just trolling? :D

I bought a card 5 years ago… because it was cheap (I apologize to those who think otherwise).

I never used any privilege, apart from the great airport service and the Special Entry visa.

Already more than enough for me… I am very grateful to Thailand Elite.

Yes, I have money… I am very happy about it and I am certainly not going to apologize for being who I am to those who are less fortunate.

Yes, I bought the card, even I graduated from Harvard Business School and INSEAD.

Yes, I am convinced that I am more educated and come from a far better background than most of the Thai Visa members who criticize the TE program.

Yes, I (happily) injected lots of millions in the Thai economy knowing very well the instability of this country.

Yes I bought a few (very) expensive cars, built a wonderful property, fly First Class, …, and bought an Elite Card. But (believe it or not) I still can make friends with everyone, of any origin and from any level of the society (avoiding like the pest all jealous foreigners though...)

Yes, I evolve in the (Thai) high society but have most of my real friends (most of them Thais) coming from the lower end of the society.

Yes, I did learn and do speak fluently Thai, which makes me understand Thailand and its people (and politics) better than many Thai Visa members (who are “oldies” who came here since many more years than me and seem to think they are so smart :o ).

Yes, I do believe that what made me stay in Thailand is not destiny but Thailand Elite.

Yes, I can say that without Thailand Elite I would never have set up a foundation that sends students to university (here and abroad) or made artistic and society events which appeared many times in the press or on TV.

Yes, I can say that thanks to Thailand Elite it has been easy for me to help many disadvantaged people around me.

Yes, I think that TE could be successful if well managed… and (Ouch!) should probably be more expensive. One million is a too low price for rich people to consider it as a “serious offer”. But at only one million I thought it would be stupid of me not to buy a card…

Everyone who knows me personally will certainly see me as an easy going, approachable and generous (rich) person.

Jealous and sorrow Thai Visa members will only see me as a brainless Thailand Elite member... up to them.

In any case, reading all the negative posts here, I am sooooooo happy that I am on my side of the society, able to enjoy my life happily, make people happy around me, spend money, … and buy memberships such as Thailand Elite.

I wish all the best for Thailand Elite and hope that it stays afloat for a long time.

PS: No, I don’t understand why I still read the silly posts on here. I must be addicted… :D

Its spelled H..U..B..R..I..S.

And didn't your mother ever teach you that you can do it under your sheets but you should not to paint your ceiling in public.

looks like next topic name will "non-immigrant B visa is abandoned". And lots of peoples will talking like "i say you before - never invest more than you can lost" and simular things. Fantastic? But who knows...

By the way Thailand Elite company still exists and working on business plan for next cabinet review. So this topic name is incorrect for current moment.

Also it was already confirmed what TE visa will exist and will renewable every 5 years.

as an early member of the program, i can confirm that it was worth my investment. it is funny who all those the could not afford the entry fee are so critical of a good program. As we all know, anything in Thailand is 'unsure' but that does not mean you cannot take advantage of opportunities while they last.

"invest in Thailand" i still my motto. There are certains places that will always survive. Paris being another.

T

Breaking News:

Thailand Elite Card is abandoned

BANGKOK: -- The loss-making Thailand Elite Card, launched in 2003 to lure wealthy tourists and business people to Thailand, will be scrapped, a government spokesman said. Only 2,570 were members in 2008.

-- Reuters/Bangkok Post 2009-01-29

as an early member of the program, i can confirm that it was worth my investment. it is funny who all those the could not afford the entry fee are so critical of a good program. As we all know, anything in Thailand is 'unsure' but that does not mean you cannot take advantage of opportunities while they last.

"invest in Thailand" i still my motto. There are certains places that will always survive. Paris being another.

T

Breaking News:

Thailand Elite Card is abandoned

BANGKOK: -- The loss-making Thailand Elite Card, launched in 2003 to lure wealthy tourists and business people to Thailand, will be scrapped, a government spokesman said. Only 2,570 were members in 2008.

-- Reuters/Bangkok Post 2009-01-29

Anybody else find it kind of odd that just as the govt are about to scrap this crazy, deluded, corrupt and failure of a Toxic scheme, a bunch of people pop up on TV defending it and telling all of us who decided to keep that million baht in our own pockets that we're really just jealous of their wealth and generosity. Some of them even seem to be proud of the fact that they can afford to throw away a million baht on a piece of plastic which called them "Elite" and bought them a few taxi rides and rub downs. It's a strange, strange virtual world we live in...................... :D

2,570 members of which about half were given away for free.............wonder if it's the freebie holders (failed B movie stars?) or the plonkers who parted with a cool million who are popping up to defend their failed attempt at eliteness? :D:o

" enjoy first class air travel and VIP treatment at the airport including fast track through Immigration...I've enjoyed all the privileges you have but paid nothing..."

That's not true, you had to fly first class, and that's substantially more expensive than either Business or Economy. So, you did pay "something" for the privilege of going through the Immigration Fast Track.

On the contrary, the card was seen as a way to get a legal visa instead of skirting the law with visa runs..

Yes, but it contradicted several laws and was guaranteed only by Thaksin. It was ok so long as he was in charge of the government but after run ins with the rest of Thai state and bureaucracy his word is wrothless, and so is the card.

To be fair, Elite card lasted a long longer than several of his other "laws" and brainfarts.

I can recomend reading the comment Sunbelt made yesterday at the visa section:

The law covering the five year special visa expired 16 October, 2008. On Jan 28th the Cabinet approved a proposal that foreigners who were eligible for the five-year special visa, to have unlimited five year renewals for the members lifetime, with no additional fees charged for the special five year renewal.

This also applies to the original multiple-entry special five-year visa which will remain valid if the Thai Elite card is discontinued.

One last hurdle remains for members who are looking to renew the special five year visa, as it will still require a ministry regulation before the Immigration Bureau can issue it. Before the ministry regulation is announced in the Royal Gazette, members will be granted a 90-day visa.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Anybody else find it kind of odd that just as the govt are about to scrap this crazy, deluded, corrupt and failure of a Toxic scheme, a bunch of people pop up on TV defending it and telling all of us who decided to keep that million baht in our own pockets that we're really just jealous of their wealth and generosity. Some of them even seem to be proud of the fact that they can afford to throw away a million baht on a piece of plastic which called them "Elite" and bought them a few taxi rides and rub downs. It's a strange, strange virtual world we live in...................... :D

2,570 members of which about half were given away for free.............wonder if it's the freebie holders (failed B movie stars?) or the plonkers who parted with a cool million who are popping up to defend their failed attempt at eliteness? :D:o

I agree with you plachon, this attitude is laughable :D

Well in the global economy that we are heading into I am sure that give it another

12 months or so and there will more than one Elite Card Holder that

will find themselves regretting they " threw away " 1 million

on a piece of plastic :D

" enjoy first class air travel and VIP treatment at the airport including fast track through Immigration...I've enjoyed all the privileges you have but paid nothing..."

That's not true, you had to fly first class, and that's substantially more expensive than either Business or Economy. So, you did pay "something" for the privilege of going through the Immigration Fast Track.

I should clarify: I get Immigration fast tracked even if I fly Air Asia as I have an APEC business card.

You can get fast tracked for 1,400thb each way with this site and they also provide a limo service.

http://fasttrack.in.th/index.php

Thanks, God! Before more gullible got sucked. I knew from day one that this is fishy. Those who have become members deserve it.

Permit me to add you to the WE in the We Told You So post ...

Update to the famous quote:

There's an ELITE sucker born every minute.

Maybe suckers but ill tell you what shuggy approx. 8500 posts divided by the number of days youve been a member = 11.64 posts per day, how sad are you.

You may as well be in Siberia with an 100Mb broadband service. :o GET A LIFE

I can recomend reading the comment Sunbelt made yesterday at the visa section:

The law covering the five year special visa expired 16 October, 2008. On Jan 28th the Cabinet approved a proposal that foreigners who were eligible for the five-year special visa, to have unlimited five year renewals for the members lifetime, with no additional fees charged for the special five year renewal.

This also applies to the original multiple-entry special five-year visa which will remain valid if the Thai Elite card is discontinued.

One last hurdle remains for members who are looking to renew the special five year visa, as it will still require a ministry regulation before the Immigration Bureau can issue it. Before the ministry regulation is announced in the Royal Gazette, members will be granted a 90-day visa.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Ouch !!! That news must reaaaaally hurt ! (not the ones with a TE card, of course).

Nothing is certain in Thailand, indeed... Not even the fetid joy of those who were already celebrating the end of TE :o

Edited by gerry1011