Thailand Elite Card Is Abandoned

george

They better make a special card for who can proof a long term good marriage and good care about his Thai-family relationship.

Those are the real VIP-person, who always been chained on rules to make a good standard family-living difficult.

Those people bring more money in Thailand the the 2570 elite cards , only it go to the poor people and not in the pockets of the goverment. Maybe this is why we never gonna be accepted as equal ........

I am another one of those "rich, ignorant" members. Only I am not rich... I spent a large part of my savings on this card. Not because I wanted to be elite or prestige - I have been to the spa twice in two years and haven't played golf even once - but because I wanted the peace of mind of being able to stay here for a prolonged time.

Yes, I may be ignorant. But I bought something from a state enterprise. Just like a government-issued bond. Shouldn't you be able to trust that?

I have all along been aware that the programme could be changed or cancelled, as it was a political idea, but then all I ask for is a fair compensation.

same, im far from rich and this was a big dent in my bank account for sure, but i figured as long as i got 10 years out of it I would be happy, unfortunately 3 months in to my membership they cancel it.. They SHOULD reimburse people the cash minus all services used and maybe a little for admin, but honestly I would be surprised if they did that. Sadly for someone under 50 and not interested in marrying/studying/working this was an ideal option for me. I looked at setting up a business for the point of a visa and it was only cheaper for the first 5 years or so , then it worked out to being more expensive - and it had just as much risk as being shut down as there was no business being conducted and any random spot check would have found that out.

kinda sucks.. waiting to see what the official statement will be...

As such I wouldn't be surprised to see a rebranded, scaled-down version of the current program relaunched at a later date (so long as the government holds long enough).

I dont agree -how can you revive this disaster - it

is like Ford, GM and Chrysler who would ever trust

anything like this ever again ? :o

Abhisit orders feasibility study on ending Thailand Elite Card scheme

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva yesterday ordered the Tourism and Sports Ministry to conduct a feasibility study on ending the money-losing Thailand Elite Card programme. The topic did not originally appear on the Cabinet's agenda.

Deputy Government Spokesman Puttipong Punnakan said Cabinet members were not sure whether it was feasible to terminate the programme at this stage.

Initiated by the government of ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra to promote Thailand to wealthy foreigners, Thailand Privileged Card Co (TPC), which operates the programme, has suffered continuous losses since launching its services for "premium" visitors to Thailand in 2003. Wholly owned by the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT), the firm lost Bt134 million in 2003, Bt384 million in 2004, Bt843 million in 2005 and Bt1.14 billion in 2006.

TPC also recorded losses in 2007 and 2008, but exact figures are not yet available.

Puttipong said Tourism permanent secretary Sasithara Pichaichannarong had been assigned to conduct the study on ending the programme and report her findings to the Cabinet within two weeks.

"The premier and ministers want clarification about the financial losses accumulated over the past five or six years, as well as what to do next. They also want to ensure that any exit plan will not affect the rights of existing members," he said.

Sasithara attended yesterday's Cabinet meeting to discuss the planned waiving of visa fees. The ministry also plans to seek Cabinet approval soon for a Bt5-billion low-interest-loan facility for tourism and related operators hit hard by the economic crisis.

In addition, it will ask for Bt1 billion to revive tourism, with Bt400 million earmarked for domestic activities and the rest for international advertising and marketing.

TAT governor Phornsiri Manoharn, also a TPC director, could not be reached for comment, as she was accompanying TAT chairman Weerasak Kowsurat on a trip to Spain.

The card's goal is to present the finest services that Thailand has to offer in one unique package. It is the world's first country-membership programme, with benefits for immigration, leisure and business. Starting with a membership fee of Bt1 million, TPC has issued 2,570 cards.

TPC has been run without a president for some time now. Chairman Suraphong Triamchanchai is acting president.

Source: The Nation - 29 January 2009

Its one of those many gimmicks that is used to rip off visitors' and foreigners' money. Becareful of how you spend your money in Thailand as its easy to lose it all for gimmicks in the land of unauthentic smiles. This is a land who has an eye for foreigners' money but not providing genuine products which are true for its value.

Too many rip offs.

Foreigner buys elite card, priviledges canceled now.

Foreigner see cute sex coyote girls, later finds out you have to pay THB 500 for a bottle of beer and worse...no sex.

Foreigner invest in a hotel or factory in Thailand, later goes bankrupt because they close airport

Foreigner pays higher for almost everything or at least thats what most Thai people want. Like exorbitant fees for national parks.

Service provided is less than satisfactory but you'll notice they are very punctual at chasing you for payment or cut the services when you are just a day late.

The reaction of most Thai people in the service centers who can't speak English is dispicable and rude. They just avoid you.

Conclusion is that in Thailand, Foreigner PAYS $$$$$, and PAYS $$$$$ and pays $$$$........then its extreme nationalism, what ever you bought belongs to Thailand because government change policy and change policy and change policy....notice how foreigners are not allowed to have more than 50% shares in a company anymore...how they want foreigners to buy their expensive condos but sorry no bank loans and then allocations of units not more than 49%. Its too much !!.....don't get cheated by all the temptations they are trying to lure foreigners into parting with Their (foreigners) money in Thailand.

BEWARE.......

I am another one of those "rich, ignorant" members. Only I am not rich... I spent a large part of my savings on this card. Not because I wanted to be elite or prestige - I have been to the spa twice in two years and haven't played golf even once - but because I wanted the peace of mind of being able to stay here for a prolonged time.

Yes, I may be ignorant. But I bought something from a state enterprise. Just like a government-issued bond. Shouldn't you be able to trust that?

I have all along been aware that the programme could be changed or cancelled, as it was a political idea, but then all I ask for is a fair compensation.

same, im far from rich and this was a big dent in my bank account for sure, but i figured as long as i got 10 years out of it I would be happy, unfortunately 3 months in to my membership they cancel it.. They SHOULD reimburse people the cash minus all services used and maybe a little for admin, but honestly I would be surprised if they did that. Sadly for someone under 50 and not interested in marrying/studying/working this was an ideal option for me. I looked at setting up a business for the point of a visa and it was only cheaper for the first 5 years or so , then it worked out to being more expensive - and it had just as much risk as being shut down as there was no business being conducted and any random spot check would have found that out.

kinda sucks.. waiting to see what the official statement will be...

Yes, let's wait for the statement. Maybe it won't be as bad as expected. After all, Eton and Oxford-educated Aphisit talks about the rule of law and ethics all the time...

And THAT, you are justified requesting. I hope the "Powers that be", realize the basic ETHICS involved. Chok dee mate. Dap

And THAT, you are justified requesting. I hope the "Powers that be", realize the basic ETHICS involved. Chok dee mate. Dap

Thank you! If not, at least I should get the 2,000 baht that the government is handing out to everyone else :o

THAILAND ELITE CARD UPDATE - It MAY NOT BE DEAD YET.... :o

p.s. I am a Thailand Elite member and I think it is fantastic. If you are a moderate user you get your million baht back in benefits in 8 years, plus during that time the money you bring into Thailand does some good for the countries economy. You don't need to be rich to buy this card, you just need to be able to do the maths! I will be disappointed if it does die and of course will hope for compensation as would anyone concerned with a broken contract. Some of you Thai Visa miseries should try getting your cash back from your ex-wives...or is that maybe where the cynisism in your posts comes from. You get what you give out baby :D

Message_From_TPC_President_as_29_Jan_09.pdf

Edited by PaulGary

so, it looks like the visa will be uninterrupted but no more backrubs? I can live with that.. but I guess we will here more in the coming days/weeks.
"grant our members multiple-entry visas every 5 years upon the duration of the membership status"

Exactly what does that mean? :o

so, it looks like the visa will be uninterrupted but no more backrubs? I can live with that.. but I guess we will here more in the coming days/weeks.

Who knows huh! You would have thought that Thailand Elite would have had a Business Plan already...maybe this is an opportunity for a farang company to get in there and show them how to run a business well.

How can you not have a successful business when the product is a whole country! hel_l, Thailand has spas, golf, beaches, coconuts, group functions (red or yellow shirts free), scenery, women, temples (or not), nightclubs (or not), sun, sea, even some fresh air - it's a great place - which is why we are all here afterall. Come on you business folks - this is an opportunity if ever there was one.

Edited by PaulGary

Hmmm...very exciting times for Elite Card holders.

Glad to hear the visa will be sustained for the duration of the membership, mine being a lifetime one.

Happy border running to all the noobs with pure negative feedback. You can calculate out the costs Elite versus Other visa options, but the one I have is for life, post a wee topic in ten years time and let me know how much time and money youve lost.

Hail Hail Elite Card :o

You couldnt really critise these blokes for having a swipe back....especially after all the flack they have attracted.

Amazing how quickly things change.

Before you get too excited, I would wait to see what the govt has to say about it, then the next govt & so on.

Its not nice to see people get ripped off, so I hope it works out for them!

Nasty stuff to laugh at someone else's misfortune!

Yeah my heart bleeds for those <snip>

Come on... we are not <snip>... it was presented with certain value and amenities that we thought was important. Just because some of us worked hard and made money.. does not give you the right to make comments like this.

Get a job :-)

People with such values are indeed <snip>. And those who would need such amenities are also <snip>. Purchasing one of these cards does not in any way indicate whether or not one has worked hard for their money. Most people that I know who work hard do not have that much money. And some people I know with lots of money, such as one who by chance was reported today in the local paper to have lost $7 billion in an investment, didn't work all that hard for it. And as one who has a job, I think anyone who bought these silly cards purchased it only for prestige sake and thus has <snip> for brains.

Amazing attitude you have Johpa. Some of these people that bought into this, did so because they didnt qualify for any other type of visa & that may be their only reason for doing so.

They didnt disadvantage you by doing so, why are some people so critical? It looks like another case of tall poppy syndrome to me.

No I am not a member.....so don't go there. Why are so many people so intollerant to others just becuase they are not the same?

As I understand it then, the programme is to be evaluated and the company must present a business plan [they don't have one to hand] to the cabinet as to why they should continue or the costs of cessation with a fund to manage ongoing responsibilities.

Given that annual fees are required from members, and failure to pay can invalidate the membership or involve financial penalties, I can see a situation where the benefits will reduce, the membership fee will increase over time, and the 'special visa' will become concomitantly more expensive for those who decide to continue membership. I see Conrad Black [if he was one] would lose his membership, [no member may remain after a 6 month prison sentence, irrespective of jurisdiction], and frankly the oddity of the programme has been, from inception, that there were/are workable solutions for those who want to remain within the kingdom, even if they are under 50, for this level of 'investment', now at 1.5 million THB remember. If the project closes then the membership will, in all probability become non-transferable, thereby defining an end date.

Property, if any is held in the holding company could be transferred to a suitable Thai majority entity for the existing members, with tax privileges maintained for the member at time of sale.

Have to say I can see a graceful exit strategy here, which is unlikely to really have the members banging their, presumably real Nancy Gonzalez bags on the company's door.

Regards

Edited by A_Traveller

If they keep renewing the 5-year visas for Elite members who want them, that will be a nice benefit and cost the company and government nothing. That's probably why most of the people who actually paid for a membership wanted in the first place. They will also likely keep their airport fast-track immigration procedures too, which is nice.

Now, when the government itself (the Royal Thai Police Immigration Bureau) initiates a 5-year multi-entry visa for a reasonable price (and not some separate private or government controlled private entity) I will be one of the first in line. :o

ingjong you never EVER told me anything, get yourself of your high horse and go and pester someone in the venereal disease forum

I can't help it if you weren't paying attention. Not a bad idea for a new forum though, keep the brilliant ideas coming.

THAILAND ELITE CARD UPDATE - It MAY NOT BE DEAD YET.... :o

p.s. I am a Thailand Elite member and I think it is fantastic. If you are a moderate user you get your million baht back in benefits in 8 years, plus during that time the money you bring into Thailand does some good for the countries economy. You don't need to be rich to buy this card, you just need to be able to do the maths! I will be disappointed if it does die and of course will hope for compensation as would anyone concerned with a broken contract. Some of you Thai Visa miseries should try getting your cash back from your ex-wives...or is that maybe where the cynisism in your posts comes from. You get what you give out baby :D

Wow, that's great news. I have my cheque in hand. Where can I buy one?

Glad to hear the visa will be sustained for the duration of the membership, mine being a lifetime one.

Happy border running to all the noobs with pure negative feedback. You can calculate out the costs Elite versus Other visa options, but the one I have is for life, post a wee topic in ten years time and let me know how much time and money youve lost.

still, 1 million baht is a lot of money just to get a lfetimes worth of visas.....

....or is it?

(someone please do the maths on this for the rest of us poor, lazy, common people)

Edited by Oldfield

still, 1 million baht is a lot of money just to get a lfetimes worth of visas.....

....or is it?

(someone please do the maths on this for the rest of us poor, lazy, common people)

that would depend on how old you are, wouldnt it?

You would think given the importance of this new alert they would really proof read it properly and run it past the legal team no ??

"the Cabinet has authorised TPC to grant our members multiple entry visas" etc.. Odd that as I thought granting visas was the job on the Interior ministry.

Mr Toad

was he describing marriage here

I agree, but it really was a risk paying for a service, that really came with no guarantees, and was always at the mercy of the changing political landscape.

Well tough on those whowere shafted

A warning to us all to mangle the Cuban description

"Never give a Thai a reason to let you down'

Perhaps theyll pay off in those tiny glossy 7/11 litter tokens collect 9 million and get an AIS big lucky Lotto phone

fre calls to Cheetalotta Toxin or Podgymum!

Edited by RubbaJohnny