Thailand Elite Card Is Abandoned

george

Breaking News:

Thailand Elite Card is abandoned

BANGKOK: -- The loss-making Thailand Elite Card, launched in 2003 to lure wealthy tourists and business people to Thailand, will be scrapped, a government spokesman said. Only 2,570 were members in 2008.

-- Reuters/Bangkok Post 2009-01-29

WELL WELL WELL (3 Wells),

Looks like that should put an end of all the speculation.

What a bargin card to own. I guess the only thing we need to wait and see is how much compensation the members are going to get? Hope no-one holds their breath.

Edited by neverdie

This has been coming for a number of weeks, although a number of "Elite" card holders have been burying their head in the sand, and even the "noted" Sunbelt jumped to it's defence. :o

No surprise, only that it's lasted this long. 2,800 members, not exactly a success. The next question though, is where have the membership fees gone?

WELL WELL WELL (3 Wells),

Looks like that should put an end of all the speculation.

What a bargin card to own. I guess the only thing we need to wait and see is how much compensation the members are going to get? Hope no-one holds their breath.

I think we all know the answer to that.

Ah, well at least I have my TOPS SPOT card, probably more value than the Elite card these days. :o

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva had instructed his ministry to work out compensation for the small number of members or find other ways to take care of them.

Perhaps as a show of their good nature, Thaksin's formerly-owned AIS's competitor DTAC will be offering complimentary 600 baht pre-paid mobile phone service cards to compensate for the 1.5 Million baht spend on the Elite Card. That's a fair "way to take care of them."

thailand_elite.jpg = phone_cards.gif

Edited by sriracha john

No wonder they kept their inner-workings more private than a clandestine CIA operation:

The state-owned Thailand Privilege Card, which issues the cards and runs the scheme, posted accumulated losses of up to 1.14 Billion Baht as of 2006.

Its pretty special to loose that kind a money on such a scheme

Nasty stuff to laugh at someone else's misfortune!

I agree, but it really was a risk paying for a service, that really came with no guarantees, and was always at the mercy of the changing political landscape.

I'd guess that there are some pretty pissed off folk out there, although this has been quietly happening for the past few weeks, what with the cancellation of the Visa privilages and reduction in services. I also know that a number of companies had been refusing to work with Elite, becasuse of unpaid bills, which was one of the reasons for the cut in services.

As anyone knows, never invest more............. :o

No wonder they kept their inner-workings more private than a clandestine CIA operation:

The state-owned Thailand Privilege Card, which issues the cards and runs the scheme, posted accumulated losses of up to 1.14 Billion Baht as of 2006.

That loss after the scheme had been running 3 years, so probably double that now and equivalent to 1 million Bt per member. Another case where these losses should be investigated. Did some cash get diverted somewhere along the way?

This has been coming for a number of weeks, although a number of "Elite" card holders have been burying their head in the sand, and even the "noted" Sunbelt jumped to it's defence. :o

No surprise, only that it's lasted this long. 2,800 members, not exactly a success. The next question though, is where have the membership fees gone?

Could it be spelled t-h-a-k-s-i-n or crony? Just a thought.........

Just reinforces the fact that you can't trust the Thai government. I'll be amazed if the members get any more than a token compensation (I can see the 'certificate of appreciation' and welcome drink vouchers now :o

The annoying thing is that the programme could have worked - give members small concessions such as the ability to buy a block of land for a house, a decent shot at residency or a *real* long term visa, aka a bit of security, and they'd be lining up. Unfortunately Thai governments of all persuasions just want to take and give nothing back.

Anyone takers for the government's next big foreign investment scheme?

No one should be surprised. I just hope there is some compensation for the Elite Card holders. The lesson: This is Thailand. If you have low expectations you will never be disappointed. If you are the recipient of competent or excellent service from time to time it is an unexpected pleasure.

2,570 members

x 1,000,000 baht per head membership....

2.57 Billion baht

why should any of these services cost more than that.

2 and half BILLION baht... and then a loss of 1.4 billion baht on TOP.. hello.

Who was getting paid for what?

Total scam from SOMEBODY on the Thaksin team...

who started this up in the first place.

A sop for the egos of the overly rich, who don't like to wait,

but typically these are the worst people to screw over,

because they ARE investors one and all...

These people paid for long term visas,

why should they be charged 1,900 baht for a visa now...

It's all rotten to the Nth degree

Edited by animatic