Thailand Elite Card Is Abandoned

george

for gods sake get a life and stop thrashing on about something that doesnt concern you.

This subject concerns anyone with an interest in Thailand, especially so as it highlights the pitfalls of investment here and the folly of taking Thais, even government officials on their word when it comes to money.

Oh well, you'll know better next time.

SMUG these guys dont have an interest in anything other than celebrating the misfortune of others

Elite member or not I still can't get the reason why anyone should be happy about the misfortune of others (especially because most of us do not know to whom we are talking).

It would be like rejoycing oneself from the accident of guy driving a sport car: Oooops that was to expect from that rich prick. If he hadn't had the mean to buy such an expensive car he would still be in a good shape :D

Well if you are en Elite member don't get involved in these silly exchanges (maybe should you get a proper room where only such members would be allowed) as you do not have to justify your choices

If you are not I do sincerely wish no harm comes to your status as some might laugh at you, the way you did

:D Don't see

:D Don't hear

:D Don't speak

PS: to live by this standard it is obvious I will not post again on that subject (whatever one might have to answer) :o

I can only agree that it's amazing (as everything else here) that so many people enjoy the misfortune of others (even the final outcome is still unclear...).

It's about time a moderator starts deleting some of the nonsense posted as it has no value what so ever. I was hoping to use this forum to get some useful information on various subjects. However find my self scrolling thru a pile of junk before anything of interest comes up.

Get a job and get a life. Wasting your time spreading bad karma on a Thai forum will not get you anywhere... If you really think your opinion on my Elite membership matters you are wrong. Sure, I'm also evaluating if my decition was correct and these times are a bit confusing. Give me some facts on the subject and I will listen. "Half of the members got it for free". Show me your research!!!

Keep you sarcasm and shit throwing to your self. Or start a new Topic; "Do you cry yourself to sleep?"

Not all Elite members are naive newcomers either. Bragging about how long you have been here doesn't give you any credit. I know people that has been here for 15 years pluss and still can not order a glass of water in Thai... Tell me that you can read the local newspaper and I'll admit that you know a thing or two about what is going on... spending 15 years in Nana and Cowboy doesn;t make you an expert on Thailand.

Fact is that this is a developing country. Something that brings with it oportunities and also challenges. Some win and some loose but in the total it can only get better, however slowly and bumpy.

Sorry, couldn't keep it inside any longer, you piss me off.

The 5 year rolling visa is a decent idea.....

That's the gist of what's needed. If any Thai person in a power position can understand, it would be PM Abhisit. A 5 year hassle-free visa would a an excellent idea - with or without an overpriced plastic card behind it. It's win win on many levels. If it were somewhat costly, let's say Bt.50,000 for each five year increment, then it would weed out some of those that Thailand deems undesirables (dems dat don't smell of money).

The average farang long-term resident spends big money - them plus tourists are arguably the lion's share of Thailand's incoming outside revenue. Much, if not most of that lucre is under-the-table in the form of dowries and support for Thai g.f's/wives families.

Granting hassle free 5 or 10 year visas wouldn't cost Thailand a satang, and would yield benefits for Thailand and its people.

As for massages, golf fees, airport rides, discounts, etc. Why not have one or more entrepreneur outfits offer those services, sort of like a coupon booklet or some sort of 'privilege card', and see which one(s) prosper - by being reliable and offering good value and services.

Edited by brahmburgers

Lordy Gordy this subject hasnt half brought out the fuds of the universe, Johpa, Midas and Srirachajohn amongst others you sincerely are (I wish I could speak freely) degenerate jealous bottom scouring scrotum molelscules. Im being nice, for gods sake get a life and stop thrashing on about something that doesnt concern you. Going by the amount of posts you guys rack up, have you nothing better to do than slag people off, get off yer erse and get jiggy, its sunny outside, its Thailand after all, put yer 90 day visa to some good use and stop waiting until yer next renewal.

Come on guys it not all doom and gloom, even us Elite card holders see the funny side of things, get a grip of yerself lads geeeeez........peace :D

:o Nice! :D

...Sorry, couldn't keep it inside any longer, you piss me off.

And that is precisely why they post their jealous crap - they want to make you feel bad as there is no other way they can get to you. Sad isn't it! :D

That's the gist of what's needed. If any Thai person in a power position can understand, it would be PM Abhisit. A 5 year hassle-free visa would a an excellent idea - with or without an overpriced plastic card behind it. It's win win on many levels. If it were somewhat costly, let's say Bt.50,000 for each five year increment, then it would weed out some of those that Thailand deems undesirables (dems dat don't smell of money).

The average farang long-term resident spends big money - them plus tourists are arguably the lion's share of Thailand's incoming outside revenue. Much, if not most of that lucre is under-the-table in the form of dowries and support for Thai g.f's/wives families.

Granting hassle free 5 or 10 year visas wouldn't cost Thailand a satang, and would yield benefits for Thailand and its people.

As for massages, golf fees, airport rides, discounts, etc. Why not have one or more entrepreneur outfits offer those services, sort of like a coupon booklet or some sort of 'privilege card', and see which one(s) prosper - by being reliable and offering good value and services.

You are dreaming. That ain't going to happen. Look at the retirement visa financial requirements. They are much more than just paying a 10K baht per year fee. The majority of people from the west could afford to pay 10K baht per year but that does not mean the majority would be financially capable of living in Thailand.

Get real. If you are going to lobby, lobby for a retirement visa for those under 50 with GREATER financial requirements than for those over 50. Other countries do exactly that. The reason you need more money to retire under 50 than over 50 is that you will generally live longer. Also under 50s are a greater risk to work illegally. Again, get real. Thailand won't be selling 5 year visas for 10K baht per year. Ever.

Edited by Jingthing

You are dreaming. That ain't going to happen. Look at the retirement visa financial requirements. They are much more than just paying a 10K baht per year fee. The majority of people from the west could afford to pay 10K baht per year but that does not mean the majority would be financially capable of living in Thailand.

Get real. If you are going to lobby, lobby for a retirement visa for those under 50 with GREATER financial requirements than for those over 50. Other countries do exactly that. The reason you need more money to retire under 50 than over 50 is that you will generally live longer. Also under 50s are a greater risk to work illegally. Again, get real. Thailand won't be selling 5 year visas for 10K baht per year. Ever.

Now easy to understand where from this TE haters goes from. Reason easy : this dads just not liked to show financial requirements for retirement visas. That guys trying to say the world what TE visa is bad because hassle-free and not requiring to reconfirm 400/800k bahts yearly on your bank account. So TE members from West not have money to stay at Thailand except paying membership fee for TE card.

So funny point of view. Simular funny view : who show 400/800k bahts per year on own bank accounts can just borrow this money on west for small commission and live in the Thailand without money.

Edited by leoalex

So funny point of view. Simular funny view : who show 400/800k bahts per year on own bank accounts can just borrow this money on west for small commission and live in the Thailand without money.

The only thing funny about this exchange is your English language usage. I personally have no resentment to the idea of the elite card 5 year visa or any new pay for it visa. (In fact I strongly considered buying it myself when I was under 50, the reason I decided against it was that I did not trust that the benefits were really going to granted for life in a country like Thailand.) Its just that is not how things work in the real world in any desirable country I know of. You don't buy the right to live in a country by paying a tiny fee except in places like Cambodia. When Cambodia advances further, they will tighter their visa restrictions just like every other country does. Regarding the retirement extension financial requirements, Thai immigration has instituted measures to try to prevent people from playing the trick you mention and for the most part they are probably effective (newish rules about seasoning bank accounts). Nothings perfect. When I say this idea was a dream, I was speaking from the point of view of the pattern of behavior of THAILAND IMMIGRATION. Nothing to do with me whatsover. It is obvious to anyone who thinks about it.

To expand more, desirable countries don't admit people who cannot take care of themselves. The elite card was targeted at people who didn't have a high regard for the risk of losing 1 or 2 million baht for a plastic card with dubious benefits, so the Thai "logic" of this was that such people by definition are financially solvent. I am sure some people bought this card who couldn't really afford it, so they "fooled" immigration that they were fat cats when they really weren't. Again, nothing is perfect. Being able to cough up 10K per year shows no such evidence of solvency. Got it now? Understand now why this dream is impossible?

Again, what may eventually be possible is an expansion of retirement extensions to people under 50. As I said, other countries do this so there is an international precedent. Also, Thailand immigration has shown a previous PATTERN of lowering the retirement extension age. Not so long ago, it was lowered from 55 to 50. Put the idea out there and push it. Immigration reads this site.

Edited by Jingthing

..To expand more, desirable countries don't admit people who cannot take care of themselves. The elite card was targeted at people who didn't have a high regard for the risk of losing 1 or 2 million baht for a plastic card with dubious benefits, so the Thai "logic" of this was that such people by definition are financially solvent. I am sure some people bought this card who couldn't really afford it, so they "fooled" immigration that they were fat cats when they really weren't. Again, nothing is perfect. Being able to cough up 10K per year shows no such evidence of solvency. Got it now? Understand now why this dream is impossible?...

Maybe you shouldn't have expanded more. :o

'they "fooled" immigration that they were fat cats when they really weren't.' - what on earth are you on about? They paid for a card that gave them the ability to stay in Thailand with few hassles, plus some real benefits. The benefits were not "dubious" - only the longevity of the scheme was.

Whatever happened to "live and let live"?

Oh, and pick on the guy's English ability? That's nice. Really good post, JT.

..To expand more, desirable countries don't admit people who cannot take care of themselves. The elite card was targeted at people who didn't have a high regard for the risk of losing 1 or 2 million baht for a plastic card with dubious benefits, so the Thai "logic" of this was that such people by definition are financially solvent. I am sure some people bought this card who couldn't really afford it, so they "fooled" immigration that they were fat cats when they really weren't. Again, nothing is perfect. Being able to cough up 10K per year shows no such evidence of solvency. Got it now? Understand now why this dream is impossible?...

Maybe you shouldn't have expanded more. :o

'they "fooled" immigration that they were fat cats when they really weren't.' - what on earth are you on about? They paid for a card that gave them the ability to stay in Thailand with few hassles, plus some real benefits. The benefits were not "dubious" - only the longevity of the scheme was.

Whatever happened to "live and let live"?

Oh, and pick on the guy's English ability? That's nice. Really good post, JT.

In this Topic they are talking down at us for buying the membership... in other Topic's they are complaining about how difficult it is to get a one year visa... hmmm... see the connection?

If I was over 50, living here for 15 (?) years and still depending on the annual renewal, making several thousand posts on a visa forum, I'd most likelig feel the same... or, go back home and live on welfare in the country I came from... Maybe start a forum there and complain about the weather and all the other important things in life.

Think I'll rather ride this one off and hope for the continuing of my membership visa priviledge. At least I'm good for an other 4-5 years so will worry about it when that time comes... By that time many things could have changed. Maybe Thaksin is back in the driver seat, who knows...

Until then, hope you have some nice trips to Penang every year... It's a nice train ride if you are into taking the scenic route (oh, just heared they don't issue multiple enties any more..???)

OK, I'm in a bad mood today... working on a Saturday...

I stand by my contention. The Thailand Elite card was marketed at ELITE people. Rich people. It was definitely not marketed primarily for its visa feature. But savvy people saw that the biggest value for people who weren't qualified for other visas was indeed the VISA feature. So if you bought an elite card and you weren't truly wealthy, yes, in a sense you fooled them, because they weren't targeting you as a customer. As far as dubious benefits, in my case I meant the lifetime value of the visa. I didn't trust this to be honored. So the benefits to my estimation were dubious. If you have a card and are using the visa, you will know on your deathbed if they kept the promise to you, or not. Some of you pissed off card holders are not being rational and it is not attractive. Take out your frustration on me and insult me if you gives you some kind of therapy. If I were you I would be looking in the mirror. You bought the card and I am sure you were smart enough at the time to know there was at least some risk that the promises would not be fully honored. Goodbye.

I will stop reading and posting to this topic. Insult away!

Edited by Jingthing

Nasty stuff to laugh at someone else's misfortune!

Yeah my heart bleeds for those <snip>

Just because their "rich" its ok to screw them out of 1.5 million baht? I am not rich, but really looked into the card when I was first looking to move to Thailand, after allot of looking around and calculating I figured it was not for me, but came very close to getting the card... And I am not rich, and had I bought the card as my means to stay in the country, to only have it revoked a few years later would have effected me in a very negitave way... I would bet that most members that have the card are not rich, and have purchased it as a means to gain access to the country (under retirement age, but not "working")...

I can't believe they did not grandfather in the card, a responsible government would do one of two things:

1. grandfather in the card (if they can't afford to keep all the perks, it costs them nothing to grandfather in the 5 year visa stamps)

or

2. say the international life expetancy of an adult is X you are X years old, You used the card for X year... simple math we see that you would have used the card for X more years.... here is your X% returned fees for the years we cheated you out of.

Anything other than those two options just show Thailand in a negitave light....

It just goes to show that Thailand only thinks of westeners as walking bank notes, all they do is take take take, and think it is perfectely ok to do so, and whats even worse we let them keep doing it. The westeners keep on going for these thai schemes that we all know will go tits up sooner or later with millions of baht lost but no one ever learns.

:o

I`m so dissapointed, I have been saving all my spare cash for four years to join this scheme, dam_n-blast...anyone any ideas what I should do with my 200baht now..????