Thailand Elite Card Is Abandoned

george

ingjong you never EVER told me anything, get yourself of your high horse and go and pester someone in the venereal disease forum

I can't help it if you weren't paying attention. Not a bad idea for a new forum though, keep the brilliant ideas coming.

Would not the riding of high horses fall more-naturally within the Sport Forum ? :o

Would not the riding of high horses fall more-naturally within the Sport Forum ? cool.gif

Touche. Isn't that fencing? Somebody had to say it, We told you so, so I was just getting it out there as a public soivice so the grief and eventual healing can begin. RIP: Thailand Elite Cards.

Edited by Jingthing

Abhisit orders feasibility study on ending Thailand Elite Card scheme

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva yesterday ordered the Tourism and Sports Ministry to conduct a feasibility study on ending the money-losing Thailand Elite Card programme.

Initiated by the government of ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra to promote Thailand to wealthy foreigners, Thailand Privileged Card Co (TPC), which operates the programme, has suffered continuous losses since launching its services for "premium" visitors to Thailand in 2003. Wholly owned by the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT), the firm lost Bt134 million in 2003, Bt384 million in 2004, Bt843 million in 2005 and Bt1.14 billion in 2006.

TPC also recorded losses in 2007 and 2008, but exact figures are not yet available.

"The premier and ministers want clarification about the financial losses accumulated over the past five or six years, as well as what to do next.

A doubling of the debt every year from 2003 to 2004 to 2005 to 2006. If the doubling continued for 2007 and 2008, they are looking at being in excess of 5 Billion Baht in debt.

What the feasibility study will show is to cut their losses ASAP.

Funny they don't have ready figures for even 2007. SO very, very guarded for a government-sponsored program. They've never released concrete figures on so many aspects, eg. exactly the number sold versus free cards, either. They play their cards very close to their chest... a lot easier to siphon off the kitty if nobody knows what's what.

Edited by sriracha john

I have to agree, a lot of money went missing and it seems a business plan is not in place. <deleted>?

I thing this service would have been excellent value over the long term, even if just from a no hassle standpoint.

Perhaps there is an opportunity here!

Thanks, God! Before more gullible got sucked. I knew from day one that this is fishy. Those who have become members deserve it.

Permit me to add you to the WE in the We Told You So post ...

Update to the famous quote:

There's an ELITE sucker born every minute.

Edited by Jingthing

…and so is the founder.

It was unbelievable that time in 2001 how a Nation of more than 60 million could vote in “Elite himself” at a time where both lower, middle and upper class of the society clearly gave the impression that they was tired of corruption in their country. At the same time media was for nearly a year filled with accusations of corruption against him and most news was about the court and he, still they elect the man!

How anyone with knowledge/experience about that eventually can go and buy a privilege card founded by the same man is beyond me.

If there are smoke……

Nasty stuff to laugh at someone else's misfortune!

Yeah my heart bleeds for those <snip>

Come on... we are not <snip>... it was presented with certain value and amenities that we thought was important. Just because some of us worked hard and made money.. does not give you the right to make comments like this.

Get a job :-)

People with such values are indeed <snip>. And those who would need such amenities are also <snip>. Purchasing one of these cards does not in any way indicate whether or not one has worked hard for their money. Most people that I know who work hard do not have that much money. And some people I know with lots of money, such as one who by chance was reported today in the local paper to have lost $7 billion in an investment, didn't work all that hard for it. And as one who has a job, I think anyone who bought these silly cards purchased it only for prestige sake and thus has <snip> for brains.

You are very general in your evaluation of people and how they make their money. The term "rich" is often used in this forum and is also confusing... Any foreigner that has an international salary is considered to be rich in Thailand in my eyes.

I'm by no means in the league of investing billions or even millions of dollars but the average Thai people would probably consider me as rich. As many has tried to explain before; unless you fall under any of the non-imm visa categories available, Thai Elite membership is a worth while solution.

You have all the rights to call us naive etc if it shows that the company goes under and all privileges are suspended with no refund. But until this has been proven to be the case I suggest that those posting are a bit moderate in their "celebration" of the end for TPC.

I wouldn't cry if I lost the spa and golf benefits... however if they take my visa away I would feel cheated and would probably raise some hel_l to get my money back. I do actually work hard for my money and I don't like other people to throw them away for me.

Perfectly understand that this is not everyone's cup of tea, but it's about time you learn to accept that it is beneficial for some of us and not a complete rip off unless what some of you predict actually happens.

As for TPC loosing money I can only assume that they have made some bad investments and I'm sure this has something to do with the fact that they are looking for a new man in the lead. Don't know why all the fuss about paying into a Singaporean account. Every government has money invested abroad... My fee was however paid to a Thai bank account...

These are interesting times and I must admit that all the uncertainties these days are exactly what I looking to avoid by becoming a member. But then again it could all be forgotten about in a couple of weeks if things goes the right way.

I'm not one that thinks everything Thaksin did as PM was bad however I do believe that the current PM is a man of more moral and understands what image he would create by ending this program without satisfying the current members.

Naive - no. Positive - yes.

Mr. H.

I came close to buying this card as I am in the target market. However after spending a few months in Thailand I quickly realized nothing here is as it seems and never believe what exists today will be there tomorrow. I realized this through my interaction with all manner of Thai people from fruit sellers to doctors who simply lack clarity and competence to deal with anything that isn't written down for them to recite. I have met some very bright and compassionate Thai people but this is not the norm so I just can't take this country seriously nor invest any money whatsoever here. Some troubling aspects of this was the fact it was not really government supported and the payments went to Singapore. Also the lack of critical mass indicated the program would not see a long life. I definitely am not laughing at anyone who chose to buy the card. Had I not spent time in Thailand I would have had my preexisting faith in contracts and the government's word and maybe been out of 1.5 million Baht. I hope they get some type of compensation but unfortunately the one with cash is king and as soon as that cash is out of your hands in this country you can't expect to ever see it again. It will be interesting to watch the posturing and excuses as to why the money can't be returned. It also is shocking they managed to lose so much money, those kind of loses almost takes skill. You can't expect 1st world results in a 3rd world country.

I could have bought one of these years ago. But, as I was working and could get by on the 30 day stamps, there wasn't any pressing need for it. The (initial) promise of land ownership would have been cherry on the cake, but that got moldy pretty quick.

So instead I took the money and bought a Harley. Still got the Harley. Runs great and unlike the Elite card, the Harley will still be there tomorrow !

I'm comfortable with my decision. :o

Sorry, someone has to get this out of the way. It must be said:

WE TOLD YOU SO!

jingjong you never EVER told me anything, get yourself of your high horse and go and pester someone in the venereal disease forum

One might be able to track down some of the original threads on this subject from years ago when the Elite card was first proposed, and note that some of us with a tad more experience in Thai ways than others did indeed note the scam aspects of the Elite Card. That some of us guffawed at the proposal at that time, warned others, and that we were correct does not mean we are riding a high horse. I, and others, ride a very modest mount and it is only those who invested in the card and who now seem have have temporarily fallen into the dust who have the misconception that our steads ride high. So you all just need to stand up, twist your panties back on straight, go clean up at your nearest spa, and get back up in your saddle and ride over to the nearest golf course and take out your frustration on some little white golf ball.

I came close to buying this card as I am in the target market. However after spending a few months in Thailand I quickly realized nothing here is as it seems and never believe what exists today will be there tomorrow. I realized this through my interaction with all manner of Thai people from fruit sellers to doctors who simply lack clarity and competence to deal with anything that isn't written down for them to recite. I have met some very bright and compassionate Thai people but this is not the norm so I just can't take this country seriously nor invest any money whatsoever here. Some troubling aspects of this was the fact it was not really government supported and the payments went to Singapore. Also the lack of critical mass indicated the program would not see a long life. I definitely am not laughing at anyone who chose to buy the card. Had I not spent time in Thailand I would have had my preexisting faith in contracts and the government's word and maybe been out of 1.5 million Baht. I hope they get some type of compensation but unfortunately the one with cash is king and as soon as that cash is out of your hands in this country you can't expect to ever see it again. It will be interesting to watch the posturing and excuses as to why the money can't be returned. It also is shocking they managed to lose so much money, those kind of loses almost takes skill. You can't expect 1st world results in a 3rd world country.

I couldn't agree more, I wish every newcomer to Thailand was aware of this. I was offered one of these cards for a million baht in Jan 2007 and even though this was a considerable amount of money for me, if I'd have believed that I would receive what was promised to me then I would have parted with the money.

Unfortunately for the seller, I'd been here long enough to see through this type of scam. In Thailand you pay for things when they are in your hand and not before - to part with hard cash based on the promise that you will receive benefits in the future is way too risky here. I love to gamble but not at those odds :o

I hope the guys that bought these cards get the compensation they deserve.

ouch... and such a short news report, no mention of refund or if people with existing 5 year visas will still get their 90 days extensions at suan plu..

Somebody once told me: Never invest more than you are willing or able to loose. So... If those who bought the card had the money to buy it, it probably won't hurt them that much to loose it.

the Ponzi scheme is collapsing...

Government will have to foot Elite card refund

Thailand Privilege Card, the issuer of the Thailand Elite Card, would need to spend 3 Billion Baht on refunds to all members of the privilege card if the company were shut down.

"Certainly, the amount would have to come from the government, as the company does not have the financial ability to manage the refunds," said Suraphong Triumchanchai, Chairman and acting President of TPC.

Minister of Tourism and Sports Chumpol Silapa-archa said he was studying whether TPC should continue the business. He said if the company was closed, it would need to refund the membership fees at their left-over value.

TPC has informed its 2,500 members worldwide about the government's plan to end the privilege programme extended to wealthy foreigners.

"All members have been informed of the company's status as well as the future of the operation, which is being studied," Suraphong said.

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva on Wednesday ordered the Tourism and Sports Ministry to study the possibility of shutting down operations due to losses of more than 1 Billion Baht.

The study is to be completed in two weeks.

Suraphong said that members' benefits would continue until the programme was terminated.

A Japanese member who is working in Bangkok said he would accept a refund if TPC decided to close the operation. However, he was not sure how other members would react to the issue.

The member said the TPC was promoted by the government, offering a lot of benefits. Many millionaires decided to join the programme, as they were encouraged to do so by Thai ambassadors all over the world.

"If the government ended the programme without any compensation, I think many members would file a lawsuit against the Thai government," the member said.

The member also said that unlimited use of spa and services was the reason for the losses. Some members are allowed to bring along their spouses for the services while many take advantage of the high-value annual medical check-ups.

Moreover, the members also enjoy free golfing, with TPC subsidising up to 1 Million Baht per member per year.

Two weeks ago, Thailand Elite members across the world received an e-mail informing them of the cancellation of the privileges. The move led to suspicion that the company would soon close its business.

The members were also informed that they would also lose their privileged status and they would be required to apply for visas as normal individuals as well as follow general regulations.

However, TPC denied sending that mail.

Last year, TPC started offering a lower membership fee of 2 Million Baht to boost sales, down from the original 3 Million. TPC hoped to increase its membership this year from 2,500 to 2,900.

The company was set up five years ago by former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra. However, it was criticised for a lack of transparency in its internal management since opening.

- The Nation / 30 minutes ago

Edited by sriracha john

...Some of you Thai Visa miseries should try getting your cash back from your ex-wives...

Ouch! :D

...Happy border running to all the noobs with pure negative feedback...

:D

Amazing attitude you have Johpa. Some of these people that bought into this, did so because they didnt qualify for any other type of visa & that may be their only reason for doing so...

No it wasn't! They're all wannabe elitists, I am so jealous of them, blah, blah, [/sarcasm]

...RIP: Thailand Elite Cards.

Are you completely up to speed with the latest developments, JT? :o

...kinda sucks.. waiting to see what the official statement will be...

What a good idea! :D

2,570 members

x 1,000,000 baht per head membership....

2.57 Billion baht

why should any of these services cost more than that.

2 and half BILLION baht... and then a loss of 1.4 billion baht on TOP.. hello.

Who was getting paid for what?

Total scam from SOMEBODY on the Thaksin team...

who started this up in the first place.

And i will never understand, Sir, why you're still moaning about Thaksin while there were different other people engaged with gouverning Thailand. Hello, wake up. PAD de tout.

:o

As Promised earlier (Page 4/5)... The TE Announcement..

Make of it what you will...

Message from the President

29"' January, 2009

Dear Our Valued Members,

Greetings from the Thailand Elite Card,

Amidst the news that appeared on the media today, the Cabinet has now reviewed and

audited the Thailand Elite Program. Please find the information below concerning the

agreement as follows.

The Cabinet has now concluded its decision regarding the multiple-entry visa issue. It

has now been confirmed that the Cabinet has authorized TPC to grant our members

multiple-entry visas every 5 years upon the duration of the membership status. Please

find the attached announcement of the agreement on this matter.

As for the concerns regarding the cancellation of the program, we would like to

inform our members that the Cabinet has requested TPC to propose a strategic

business plan. Hence we are currently formulating it in order to show the Cabinet how

the management intends to sustain the organization and how we would compensate

our members if the given circumstance prevails.

Hence, on behalf of the TPC, we will try our hardest to ensure that the outcome will

be most suitable for our members. Please note that we perceive our members in the

utmost regards and providing the most convenient and suitable solutions to our

members is the priority. If any changes occur, we will immediately inform you.

Nonetheless, we are confident that the cabinet will share the same view that the

Thailand Elite members are valuable assets to the Kingdom of Thailand.

Sincerely Yours,

Director and President (Acting)

looks most of peoples speaking here is trolls or backpackers who very sad because not was able to purchase this card before. if you not have elite card - not say anything bad except your feels about it in _special_topic. This elite card is still exists and from lastest news :

1. visa most likely will exists

2. if program will be canceled there will some refund mechanism.

3. elite card have own benefits, which may be unvisible for trolls here. it about goverment consierge (feature which can become gold in correct hands), visa for peoples (like gay peoples) who cannot get visa by other ways (not opening business here).

PS : If goverment will cancel program it will kill Thailand reputation in the eyes of superstars (who get this card at start), many wealthy peoples, and in eyes of other countries which will look suspicious for any future Thailand clubs or offers, etc. Also lot of court notices. So I not think what goverment will cancel program (or at least will compensate it). Or will grandfathering or something else, but it will not so easy as most NON_MEMBERS speak here.

Edited by leoalex

Breaking News:

Thailand Elite Card is abandoned

BANGKOK: -- The loss-making Thailand Elite Card, launched in 2003 to lure wealthy tourists and business people to Thailand, will be scrapped, a government spokesman said. Only 2,570 were members in 2008.

-- Reuters/Bangkok Post 2009-01-29

Not at all surprised.

What a load of nonsense this was.

If any twit ever thought this was a good idea, I have no sympathy!

I dont agree -how can you revive this disaster - it

is like Ford, GM and Chrysler who would ever trust

anything like this ever again ? :o

I can think of a lot of scenarios.

To get past the trust issue, make the benefits more immediate. If I were drawing up a business plan I'd take a look at the cost of alternatives including border runs, dodgy companies, etc that people use to be able to stay in Thailand. What is the total cost and what is also the value of legitimacy. Tier the pricing with a minimum of, for example, 100k for a renewable 3yr visa with a 5k/mo membership fee getting one fast-track at the airport and the 3yr visa. Over a 5yr timeframe (comparable to the elite card visa) that's approaching 500k baht- a pretty good income for the government considering that the cost of implementing this would be minimal. And if the government changes during the meantime and the program gets shut down then, well, one has a 3yr visa.

For golfers, airport shuttlers, and spa-ers there can be gold and platinum levels- but of course there you're really getting into a travel service more than anything else and you're competing against outside resources. I'd can it until the member base grows to a substantial enough number that good group discounts can be had.

So instead I took the money and bought a Harley. Still got the Harley. Runs great and unlike the Elite card, the Harley will still be there tomorrow !

I'm comfortable with my decision. :D

I also was looking at an Elite card. Instead I took my money and bought equities.

dam_n... shoulda bought the elite card! :o

It has now been confirmed that the Cabinet has authorized TPC to grant our members multiple-entry visas every 5 years upon the duration of the membership status.

Sounds like the visas are only good so long as TPC is still around, which doesn't seem to be a huge reassurance to members as a big part of the current debate is whether or not TPC is financially capable of continuing. Let's hope that TPC presents a reasonable business plan and doesn't regurgitate Thaksin's one million member target.

No wonder they kept their inner-workings more private than a clandestine CIA operation:

The state-owned Thailand Privilege Card, which issues the cards and runs the scheme, posted accumulated losses of up to 1.14 Billion Baht as of 2006.

Jesus H Christ

They had to have been robbing it blind!

Are there any Thai Elite Members out there out are regretting their purchase?

I’ve read a lot of clever posts from clever people who were clever enough not to purchase Thai Elite Membership because they are clever.

C’mon… we all know the risks. Don’t insult me for buying the card and equally so don’t hate me for getting a privilege that I paid for but don’t deserve.

Don’t be judgmental because I made my choices. Don’t tear my decisions apart with your opinion without knowing me.

I could write cutting responses to many of the posts in this thread. However, points will be missed, and I'm sure egos will not fall. We each read what we wish into any of the posts.

I would like to say this… opinions are great, but so many people lack the intelligence to enjoy the concept of someone else’s…

I suspect that if the word ‘Elite’ was missing from the name of this card then the current ‘up the Bourgeois’, I’m cool ‘cos I eat 20 baht noodles all da time an’ save a packet critics ….(SORRRY, I apologise… that was a cheap shot at those who inadequately post…hmmm).. wouldn’t have such a negative opinion….

Respect to all...

Are there any Thai Elite Members out there out are regretting their purchase?

I've read a lot of clever posts from clever people who were clever enough not to purchase Thai Elite Membership because they are clever.

C'mon… we all know the risks. Don't insult me for buying the card and equally so don't hate me for getting a privilege that I paid for but don't deserve.

Don't be judgmental because I made my choices. Don't tear my decisions apart with your opinion without knowing me.

I could write cutting responses to many of the posts in this thread. However, points will be missed, and I'm sure egos will not fall. We each read what we wish into any of the posts.

I would like to say this… opinions are great, but so many people lack the intelligence to enjoy the concept of someone else's…

I suspect that if the word 'Elite' was missing from the name of this card then the current 'up the Bourgeois', I'm cool 'cos I eat 20 baht noodles all da time an' save a packet critics ….(SORRRY, I apologise… that was a cheap shot at those who inadequately post…hmmm).. wouldn't have such a negative opinion….

Respect to all...

Thank you!