Is There A Lot Of Racism Toward Children Of Mixed Ethnicities?

Cerriowen

With regards to the American minority social groups of color underacheiving, I lay the blame at the current trendy Hip Hop "gangster culture"... Nobody wants to step up to the plate and do a hard days work anymore. they would rather "pimp some hoes" or perform a "drive-by".

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have a look at Thai TV, gossip magazines etc.

Certainly an advantage to be "half-blood" if that means your skin is whiter, you are taller and your nose more pointy.

We have two luk krung kids (both below 5 years) at school here and they fit in at school with no problems whatsoever.

I think it is a social advantage to be half thai / half caucasian in Thailand.

Many of the models in advertisements etc are luk krung, they have a good life ahead :o

But they have to have model quality, not all luk kruengs have it. What happens to the rest of them? I suspect they are treated as farangs and are discriminated against.

Depends what you mean by "The rest of them" ??

... The way I see it is that if you were born in Thailand or Farangland with one parent Farang, one Thai. Both parents from respectable backgounds. Have social skills. Have Thai passport. Grow up speaking Thai , but can also speak a foreign language / English to an advanced level. Have good qualifications. Why would you be discriminated against?

Because Thai Rak Thai - not Thai Rak half-Thai!

• 3 months later...
You'll find racism anywhere . A lot depends on how sensitive you are also. I had a good friend back in the UK who was from afro-carribean desent but was more English than me in my opinion. He also had a wife of Anglo-Saxon desent. He would get very touchy and wouldn't let his guard down and has on several occasions accused me of being racist. Which I believe I'm certainly not. I do have a few issues with some ideologies but thats not a race thing in my book. I would always play my trump card by stating I was in a mixed race relationship Just like him. There's obviously more than a bit of racism towards Farangs here but I don't see a lot of it because I'm not too sensitive about the Issue, not very PC myself and I like diversity in everything including race.

I am however very sensitive when it comes to my children and I can honestly tell you I've seen nothing here to be alarmed about.

If my wife was to hear a conversation like Guesthouse described in the restaurant , she would definately let me know , thats after she had ripped them apart verbally and the dust had settled.

Korea sounds like a nightmare though if what you say is true , a bit like the states or UK a few generations back.

I'm optimistic race will become less and less of an Issue in future generations.

Now whats the topic about again ? ;-)

It depends on whether your wife is genuinely from the top echelons of Thai society. Thais are v sensitive to their position in society and would say nothing to somebody they considered to be 'above' them. SHE would 'lose face', not them.

The conversation Guesthouse overheard doesn't suprise me in the slightest. Top class Thai women don't need to marry farang - and, with the odd exception, don't!

Yes, they don't need to. The exception comes from:

1. Getting intimidated in school/university abroad or here (ie. Some Thai girl Prof marry Farang Prof)

2. Being fed up with the Thai men in their vincinity for they have too many lovers, go prostitution etc.

3. Being fed up with the Thai men who being too much traditional in the aspect of domestic care trying to be master of the house, although they may have 5 maids, the husbands who don't take charge but complain a lot is annoying.

- A Thai man.

• 2 weeks later...

It depends on whether your wife is genuinely from the top echelons of Thai society. Thais are v sensitive to their position in society and would say nothing to somebody they considered to be 'above' them. SHE would 'lose face', not them.

The conversation Guesthouse overheard doesn't suprise me in the slightest. Top class Thai women don't need to marry farang - and, with the odd exception, don't!

So for a start you believe that the rude Thai female actually thought she was of a superior class than the other diners who were the subject of her rudeness and tactless comments, which in my book makes her less so, and as for top class Thai women having no need to marry a falang I must be naive about the subject, I always thought people married for love, and I certainly do not subscribe to feeling inferior to anyone let alone some snobbish female that probably married for the wrong reasons.

My children have always been looked on favourably at school and have suffered no discrimination whatsoever. :)

If anything children here of mixed race are likely to be favoured, I know that my daughter seems to attract alot of positive attention from Thai's.

Your child should be fine here.

Mixed race is the wave of the future, and lessens racism. People are attracted to other races. One school I worked at in a Vancouver suburb had over 65 languages other than English spoken at home. There were virtually no fights or problems of a racial nature there, because almost everyone was different looking...BUT there were many problems at another school where there was a large white group and a large brown group.There were lots of fights and things of that nature there. Viva la difference..

Discrimination regarding mixed-race children is alive and well in Thailand. Check out the June issue of Rak Luk magazine ( the largest selling baby mag in Thailand) with my daughter Lena on the cover and with a 3 page spread inside.