UK Embassy In Emergency Mode

george

UK Embassy in emergency mode

Because of the December 26 tsunami disaster, the British Embassy in Bangkok remains closed until further notice for all normal business (except for limited emergency visa and consular cases).

The British Embassy is dealing exclusively with the December 26 tsunami disaster and is open on an emergency 24-hour basis for those requiring assistance as a result.

British citizens in Thailand who need consular assistance as a result of the tsunami disaster should contact the embassy on (02) 305 8333. Alternatively, if they are in the areas directly affected, they should contact the embassy's emergency office in Phuket on (07) 626 4473-4 and (07) 6264484

Anyone who has information they have not already passed on about the whereabouts of British citizens involved in the disaster should also contact the British Embassy on (02) 305 8333.

I saw on a TV interview at UK Airport, that British Tourists returning home were complaining that whilst thay had lost all their money an possesions, they were given no financial aid by the British Embassy. They also pointed out that other Governments had paid all the expenses and Air fares to get their Countrymen home.

The standing orders for the Consulate Section are that only a B500 discretionary payment can be made [read the small print], and after that you are on your own.

In normal times this would be the case if you were robbed, fell down a hole, lost your Airticket, spent all your money, nothing to do with them.

However, this is a traumatic disaster on a scale never seen in Thailand previously.

As I understand that funds are supposed to have been put aside by the Thai Government and the British Government to assist Tourist who are left without access to funds so why is this happening? As it is they do not seem to be getting even their B500 discretionary payment.

Geoff Carter

In emergencies and otherwise, the US government offers repatriation loans. The US doesn't give the money, it loans the money. No interest for 120 days. With the US being the stingiest country, it seems like the UK would do a lot better.

Anyone with any ideas when this may be back to normal?

I bet the backlog will be immense!

A very good question

My yearly retirement extension expires this month and I must get a supporting letter from the Embassy to present with my application.

If the Embassy does not return to 'normal" in one week then I am up the creek without a paddle and must leave Thailand.

As this is a result of the Tsunami will I be eligible for a free flight ?

I saw on a TV interview at UK Airport, that British Tourists returning home were complaining that whilst thay had lost all their money an possesions, they were given no financial aid by the British Embassy. They also pointed out that other Governments had paid all the expenses and Air fares to get their Countrymen home.

The standing orders for the Consulate Section are that only a B500 discretionary payment can be made [read the small print], and after that you are on your own.

In normal times this would be the case if you were robbed, fell down a hole, lost your Airticket, spent all your money, nothing to do with them.

However, this is a traumatic disaster on a scale never seen in Thailand previously.

As I understand that funds are supposed to have been put aside by the Thai Government and the British Government to assist Tourist who are left without access to funds so why is this happening? As it is they do not seem to be getting even their B500 discretionary payment.

Geoff Carter

I saw the interview as well but only one complainer of a type(whining self-pitying Pom) that was all too recognisable.I doubt whether this is the general reaction of Brits affected by the disaster.What is more it is very unfair on Ambassador David Fall and his team that I hear have been doing an excellent job round the clock.Making allowances for shock it is a strange attitude when the first attitude on Heathrow arrival is to start lambasting one's own government.The vast majority were just thankful to be alive and to see the joyful reunion with loved ones was genuinely moving.

"A very good question

My yearly retirement extension expires this month and I must get a supporting letter from the Embassy to present with my application.

If the Embassy does not return to 'normal" in one week then I am up the creek without a paddle and must leave Thailand."

Why do you need a letter from your embassy? I am on my third yearly retirement visa and have never had to have a letter from the us embassy.

bank/med certificate only. Come to Phuket and renew it with no problems.

In reply to Boris

My point is to bring to attention the apparent problem brought up by an injured rather then winging Pom, who had lost everything and was obviously in a state of shock. I know Ambassador David Fall, his wife and several of his staff on a personal basis. Indeed we have even been into the bowels of the earth together. This is not meant in any way to disparage their work in Phuket, but it is obvious that the UK is not helping him enough in sending extra Consular officials to deal with the crisis. The British Embassy has had to close its Consular services in Bangkok as there are not enough staff to cope with the situation in Phuket, and the normal Consular needs of the British Subjects whose Passports are running out, or have been lost elsewhere in Thailand. Clearly, as this is the case, they are overstretched.

The point is that if it is true that British Subjects that have been injured, lost everything and are traumatised by the disaster should be assisted by the British Government.

Edited by Estrada

EMBASSY STATUS UPDATE 2005-01-03:

British embassy

SERVICES:The British embassy in Bangkok will remain closed until further notice for all normal business except limited emergency visa and consular cases, in an effort to deal exclusively with the Dec 26 tsunami disaster.

Any British citizens in Thailand needing consular assistance as a result of the disaster should contact the British embassy at 02-305-8333. If they are in the areas directly affected, they should contact the embassy's emergency office in Phuket at 07-626-4473-5.

Any British citizens who have information they have not already passed on about the whereabouts of British citizens involved in the disaster are requested to contact the embassy.

Australian embassy

ASSISTANCE:The Australian embassy in Bangkok is open 24 hours for emergency consular assistance to Australian citizens and residents. The visa section will reopen for normal business tomorrow. Other embassy operations remain suspended till further notice.

The embassy's telephone number is 02-287-2680. Those seeking help as a result of the tsunami disaster should call this number. The embassy website is .

Counselling assistance for those affected is available through the embassy. For help in Phuket, contact the temporary Australian embassy office there, at 07-6370-652-4.

Those with information on the whereabouts of other Australians, please advise the embassy via the above phone numbers, or via email at .

American embassy

REOPENING:The US embassy section for American citizen services will reopen today. Officials recommend you contact them only for urgent business.

Other US embassy services remain open but the American citizen services section closed temporarily as staff were sent south to help US victims of the tsunami.

--Bangkok Post 2005-01-03

In reply to Boris

My point is to bring to attention the apparent problem brought up by an injured rather then winging Pom, who had lost everything and was obviously in a state of shock. I know Ambassador David Fall, his wife and several of his staff on a personal basis. Indeed we have even been into the bowels of the earth together. This is not meant in any way to disparage their work in Phuket, but it is obvious that the UK is not helping him enough in sending extra Consular officials to deal with the crisis. The British Embassy has had to close its Consular services in Bangkok as there are not enough staff to cope with the situation in Phuket, and the normal Consular needs of the British Subjects whose Passports are running out, or have been lost elsewhere in Thailand. Clearly, as this is the case, they are overstretched.

The point is that if it is true that British Subjects that have been injured, lost everything and are traumatised by the disaster should be assisted by the British Government.

I am reluctant to dispute much of this since I suspect you are closer to the situation than I.Neverthess there remain some dubious elements in the story and, since I too know David, it will be interesting to have a chat with the Ambassador on these points in a few months time.Of course consular officials of all countries are overstretched but the point in the original post was that the British government was being criticised specifically for not paying victims costs including travel expenses.For victims who lost everything there is a responsibility of the Government to get them home and this was done including laying on a charter from Bangkok.It remains my view that it is entirely inappropriate for tourists from a rich country to be subsidised when there are so many other obvious demands, not least the local Thai community.My information is that British and Thai officials have done an excellent job in providing support, and the complaints come from a very small minority.Having said that I don't think we should be too hard on them.Who knows how we as individuals would act in this terrible situation.

Why do you need a letter from your embassy?  I am on my third yearly retirement visa and have never had to have a letter from the us embassy.

The letter from the UK Embassy, at least in my case, was to verify my address in Thailand and confirm that I was in receipt of a pension. However, the letter is dated 2000 and copies suffice for all subsequent extension applications. There is no need to obtain a new letter every year (or that is my understanding).

Why do you need a letter from your embassy?  I am on my third yearly retirement visa and have never had to have a letter from the us embassy.

The letter from the UK Embassy, at least in my case, was to verify my address in Thailand and confirm that I was in receipt of a pension. However, the letter is dated 2000 and copies suffice for all subsequent extension applications. There is no need to obtain a new letter every year (or that is my understanding).

Actually you do have to, but then again there is T.I.T.

I love Thais

Geoff Carter