Ice Cream

bonobo

Since going to Cold Stone Creamery five or so years ago, I re-awakened a small taste for ice cream. Once a week or so, I like to have chocolate ice cream with frozen rasberries mixed in.

I have tried a number of brands at the local stores.  The cheap locally-made tubs in the 75 baht price-range are really pretty bad. I am not a huge fan of the Hagen-Daz or Ben and Jerry-types, and at 350 baht for a small tub, well, I don't think they are worth it. That left Bud's and Swensons in the 160 baht range for a tub. The Swensons' chocolate, what they call "Chewy Chocolate" or such is more like soft candy. The Bud's however, is actaully not bad.

The problem is that for the last two months, I really can't find it anymore.  The last tub I bought had been thawed and re-frozen, and since then, I have not been able to find chocolate.  Last night, at the Mall Bang Khae, there were about 30 of the tiny single serving tubs left and two normal-sized tubs of strawberry. Carrfoure on Phetkasem had only four or five of the single serving sizes left.

Does anyone know if Bud's is still a going concern?  (It is a San Francisco-based  ice cream made here in Thailand.)  Or if it is out of business, does anyone have suggestions for a decent ice cream which does not cost 350 baht for a small tub?

Easily available in Pattaya. They even have a dedicated shop at Mike's Shopping Mall. As an ex-San Franciscan I think they over-hype the product. It is only middle level quality ice cream and certainly not considered exceptional ice cream by San Franciscans. Its not bad for the price though.

The cachet of San Francisco is ridiculously exploited here. I noticed the low brow Sizzler restaurants in Thailand are using big San Francisco photos to connect themselves with San Francisco quality and sophistication. But the thing is, there is NO Sizzler in San Francisco and it is the kind of bland boring place even San Francisco street people wouldn't be caught dead in.

Edited by Jingthing

Easily available in Pattaya. They even have a dedicated shop at Mike's Shopping Mall. As an ex-San Franciscan I think they over-hype the product. It is only middle level quality ice cream and certainly not considered exceptional ice cream by San Franciscans. Its not bad for the price though.

The cachet of San Francisco is ridiculously exploited here. I noticed the low brow Sizzler restaurants in Thailand are using big San Francisco photos to connect themselves with San Francisco quality and sophistication. But the thing is, there is NO Sizzler in San Francisco and it is the kind of bland boring place even San Francisco street people wouldn't be caught dead in.

I certainly won't go to a Sizzler in the US or here in Thailand!

Bud's for me, is merely adequate. The problem is the local recipes are pretty bad, and I don't feel like paying 350 baht for a small tub of Hagen Daz.  And I really don't like the taste of the Swenson's chocolate, the only other ice cream I have found here in the Bud's range.

I was in San Francisco last week, but my ice cream fix there was satisfied at a local Cold Stone Creamery, not a native SF shop.

I agree Buds is at a good quality/price point for Thailand and better than Swensons (though to my taste Baskin Robbins isn't bad either for a middle level ice cream). I won't pay 300 baht for HD or B&J either. What's really good in SF are the gelato joints.

I agree Buds is at a good quality/price point for Thailand and better than Swensons (though to my taste Baskin Robbins isn't bad either for a middle level ice cream). I won't pay 300 baht for HD or B&J either. What's really good in SF are the gelato joints.

Baskin Robbins might do the trick, but I haven't seen any for sale at the stores I frequent.  Who carries it?

Baskin Robbins might do the trick, but I haven't seen any for sale at the stores I frequent.  Who carries it?

I am not sure, I think Central Food Hall might have it in pints. Not common outside the stores.

As an ex-San Franciscan I think they over-hype the product. It is only middle level quality ice cream and certainly not considered exceptional ice cream by San Franciscans. Its not bad for the price though.
Now, if they sold Mitchell's (website) here in Thailand, that would be a different story. Mitchell's provides ice cream to many Asian restaurants in San Francisco, with flavors like mango, green tea and lychee. They also make some Filipino ice cream drink concoctions which are pretty good.
Sizzler is terrible in the U.S. I wouldn't dream of eating at one of their Thailand stores. Maybe they should be using Colma/Daly City cachet? Edited by zaphodbeeblebrox

Sizzler's salad bar in Thailand is a good deal. They have parmesan, balsamic vinegar, blue cheese dressing and croutons to name but a few of the nice things available. Slag it off if you will, but if you're in the mood for a good salad, you can construct one there and it's only 149 baht for the salad bar only.

Sizzler's salad bar in Thailand is a good deal. They have parmesan, balsamic vinegar, blue cheese dressing and croutons to name but a few of the nice things available. Slag it off if you will, but if you're in the mood for a good salad, you can construct one there and it's only 149 baht for the salad bar only.

OK, 149 baht is not bad for a salad bar.  But I can go into any local grocer and put together a rather nice salad from the salad bar for 30 or 40 baht.  And since I have rather high quality olive oil and balsamico at home, I do much better taking it back there.

But if I was dragged to a Thai Sizzler with friends, maybe the salad bar would be the way to go. I have been there three times previously, and aside from them being out of my choice two of the three times, the beef I did get was rather pathetic.

Sizzler is terrible in the U.S. I wouldn't dream of eating at one of their Thailand stores. Maybe they should be using Colma/Daly City cachet?

As a former resident of Daly City, I resemble that remark!!  :o