Multiple-entry Needed On Original 90-day Visa?

I am a 49-year-old USA citizen preparing to move to Thailand to work with the Christian Prison Ministry in Thailand (CPMT) for the long term (many years). They will be sending me an invitation letter for my non-immigrant visa application.

My wife and I plan to arrive in Thailand in early March, and will probably take three trips out of Thailand in the following year: one to Luxembourg in the July/August timeframe and two to the USA in December and February, respectively.

I understand from the thaivisa web site (which is full of good information, by the way - thanks!) that the initial non-immigrant visa is for only 90 days, and that every time I get an extension I must also get a multiple-entry permit for the extension. Here is my question: Since we do not anticipate leaving the country during the first 90 days, do we need to get multiple-entry on the original visas in order to get multiple-entry on the extensions? We could just go ahead and get them to be on the safe side, but the cost is $125 (x2) instead of $50 (x2). I would just as soon not spend the extra $150 if it is not needed.

Also, does my wife need to be mentioned in the CPMT invitation letter, or do I just send in both our visa applications along with the single letter inviting me to work with the CPMT?

Thanks in advance for your insight.

You only require a single entry visa. After you obtain the one year extension of stay you only require a re-entry permit when you wish to travel, at a cost of 1,000 baht each but you may obtain a multi re-entry permit at a cost of 3,800 baht good for any number of trips during the extension period.

A multi entry visa is issued outside of Thailand for business travellers, who visit Thailand frequently, for the most part. It is not what you should have working here.

You should check requirements for visa direct with the Consulate you will be using as only they can say what is required.

You only require a single entry visa.  After you obtain the one year extension of stay you only require a re-entry permit when you wish to travel, at a cost of 1,000 baht each but you may obtain a multi re-entry permit at a cost of 3,800 baht good for any number of trips during the extension period. 

A multi entry visa is issued outside of Thailand for business travellers, who visit Thailand frequently, for the most part.  It is not what you should have working here.

You should check requirements for visa direct with the Consulate you will be using as only they can say what is required.

Thanks, lopburi. That makes a lot of sense. It looks like we can get by with individual re-entry permits each time we travel.

Put in more general terms, my second question has to do with visas for family members. If someone gets a non-B visa for their job, what kind of visa do their accompanying family members get? Does my wife need a non-B visa based on my job, or is there some other category of visa she needs to apply for?

Concerning a work permit, the CPMT will pursue one for me through the Department of Corrections. I plan to do some engineering consulting work for a couple of USA companies on the side as well, by phone, email, and the internet. My contract income from these sources will go directly into my USA bank account. Do I need to concern myself with a work permit for this kind of consulting?

-PastorMark

I believe it will be an O (other) visa for the wife but you should talk that over with the Consulate. Do not know if you will be under R class (missionary) or B class (business/job) but your employer should have told you what type of visa to obtain.

The sideline work should not currently be a problem if it remains outside Thailand.

Thanks again, Lopburi. A dependent visa makes sense for family members. I have not gotten a clear word yet from CPMT about visa matters, but I will clarify with them about B vs. R or other kind of visa. It really helps to have some knowledge about these matters already when talking with them.

Thanks again, Lopburi.  A dependent visa makes sense for family members.  I have not gotten a clear word yet from CPMT about visa matters, but I will clarify with them about B vs. R or other kind of visa.  It really helps to have some knowledge about these matters already when talking with them.

Mark

unless your organization in Thailand is in a position of influence politically, it is going to be extremely difficult to obtain a visa approval from the Department of Religious Affairs ( that is the Non-Immigrant R visa ) Most Missionaries and their families make do with multiple entry Non-Immigrant O class visa's, and they cross borders each 90 days. Good luck.

Good observation, Dr, and thanks for the response. My understanding is that the CPMT has a good relationship with the Department of Corrections, and that the government office will actually apply for the work permit. It will be interesting to see how it all works out.

-Mark

Good observation, Dr, and thanks for the response. My understanding is that the CPMT has a good relationship with the Department of Corrections, and that the government office will actually apply for the work permit.  It will be interesting to see how it all works out.

-Mark

Keep on the back of the CPMT to clarify the required visa category Mark. Your wife and minor children will be fine on O category visa's, and can get them extended each year once your work permit is issued. Good luck.