Looking To Buy A Bar In Pattaya

pitstopmark

I am looking to buy/rent a bar in Pattaya area, doesnt have to be huge. Anyone actual sellers on here would like to hear from you. Thanks, Mark

:o Hi Pitstopmark,

It seems that you're not very familiar with Thailand, or let's say Pattaya. Otherwise you would never post that here. Why don't you listen to those who lost all? Are you dreaming,or were you drunk when you posted this? Good luck !!! Chuck. ( It's easy to figure that out that you've worked for Pit Stop....lol

Hi, well firstly I'm pleased to have given everyone a laugh, after all that's what I do for a living. Secondly, thanks for the 5 no's, I have been talking to many people over the past few months getting peoples points of view, Estate agents (surprise surprise) have been telling me it's a smart move (not all of them I must say) but I wanted to get a varied opinion across the spectrum and I have decided that a bar in Afganistan would be a better prospect. If anyone has any idea of a better country than there please feel free to abuse me on this message board again :o I have ben living in Estonia running bars here for 8 years and it doesn't get any tougher than here. Thanks for your help guys and girls

I have lost count of the mates/friends I have lost following a failed 'bar-beer' in Pattaya.

Most went back to the U.K. skint and clinically depressed after anything between six and eighteen months.

I hear they are all either on the dole or long term sick back in the U.K. Others have managed to pull themselves together and gone back to work for a new Pattaya 'nest egg'. And they won't be buying a bar upon return!

Then there is the sad case of 'Ron' who managed a bar-beer on Soi 7 for eight months. lost everything and then jumped.

It is madness to buy a bar-beer. The only ones that survive are those ex-pats who actually don't mind losing 15-20K per year (GBP that is) just to have the fun of keeping the bar.

But really, the whole ex-pat bar-beer scene is really sad, by that I mean pathetic.

Mr pitstop,

What I originally said to you is TAKE A WALK around the beer bars in Pattaya & you will see whats on offer down there.

Sadly, the advice your getting here is fairly spot on, but naturally the people trying to sell the bars are going to tell you differently.

Have you been to Thailand before or did you pull this one out of a hat?

pitstopmark...

Like those before me have said, keep your money in your pocket.

Of course you could just take the money and throw a legendary bash for the members of this forum. You will be guaranteed to have a life time of Pattaya Bar owners' experience in one night. Rowdy customers, somebody passing out on the bar :D , modest fisty-cuffs (people of TV are well mannered you know), somebody arguing over soccer :o , broken glasses and at the end of the night, your cash will be gone. But what a night and your contribution will be appreciated by all.

Seriously, walk around Pattaya and you will see tons of places empty or closed. However, there are some places that seem to do well.

TheWalkingMan

OK guys, thanks very much for your advice. I was in Pattaya 18 years ago but of course things have changed, I think I will give buying a bar in Thailand a miss. What are the chances of finding work in someone elses bar here, I have an idea of a concept for the expats (a story you heard a 1000 times before also I guess. Well is it still worth a visit as a tourist or not? What line of business are you guys in?

...but I wanted to get a varied opinion across the spectrum and I have decided that a bar in Afganistan would be a better prospect.
Well is it still worth a visit as a tourist or not? What line of business are you guys in?

:o

I've been working in Afghanistan for the better part of the last 5 years now, and what the guys are saying is pretty much true. You probably would be better off opening a bar here than in Pattaya !

Last time I saw a number, it was around 3,000 registered beer bars in Pattaya (plus go-gos, discos, etc and unlicensed places). It's always been a bit of a cut-throat business, and with the drop in tourists this year, possibly even worse now.

As with most businesses, location is the key. Even a bad bar in a good location can make money, but it is harder for a good bar in a bad location. There are plenty of bars up for sale around the city, and come the spring (end of high season) there'll likely be a lot more. Tread carefully, and if you are trying to make a serious decision, ask to see the books for the WHOLE year, not just the last 3-4 months.

And if you should happen to see the books for a small bar, that's not well located or busy, and the books show great income for the whole year, be wary. Very Wary.

But you'll have to look for yourself. Asking anonymous people about a place thousands of miles away is a risky venture. Buying something sight unseen is even worse of course.

Is it worth a trip ? Hard to say, because I don't know what your looking for, or why, or what would be suitable for you, etc. The only thing I know is that the weather doesn't get any where near as cold in Pattaya as it does in Estonia !

Hi, well firstly I'm pleased to have given everyone a laugh, after all that's what I do for a living. Secondly, thanks for the 5 no's, I have been talking to many people over the past few months getting peoples points of view, Estate agents (surprise surprise) have been telling me it's a smart move (not all of them I must say) but I wanted to get a varied opinion across the spectrum and I have decided that a bar in Afganistan would be a better prospect. If anyone has any idea of a better country than there please feel free to abuse me on this message board again :o I have ben living in Estonia running bars here for 8 years and it doesn't get any tougher than here. Thanks for your help guys and girls

you sound like a very switched on guy,buying a bar in patters is a sound move.if you would like to invest in something very profitable and rare though,as a one off oppertunityy,i have some elephants eggs ,please e mail me for details.

Buying a bar bar in pattay is very very easy..........making money is not.

If you are in the trade and know how to run a bar I suggest you come here first, talk to the bar owners and look around, maybe try just manager of a bar for 1 year and then see if you can cut it.

I say 1 year because like the seismic industry the bar industry is cyclic, what you see in November is not what you will see in july. take your time, and look around, profit can be made in the bar business in pattaya but it will require a large initial investment, if you are prepared to lose 50,000 (and I am not talking baht) for a good startup them maybe you can make a go of it.

Personally after 28 years here and lots of friends who have died from drinking too much/lead poisoning I would not recommend it.

regards

Freddie

Hi I have a question, I asked the other day about advice on buying a bar in Pattaya and was bombarded with comments about how everyone had lost money in bars there. Can I just ask if anyone that asnwered has actually owned a bar in Pattaya and if so was it their first bar or did they have expereince from running bars in other countries before, I appreciate your comments, regards