Looking To Buy A Bar In Pattaya

pitstopmark

If you have the experience and/or business savvy you can make money at anything.

The problem is that most who want to open a "bar" in Thailand have neighter. ( Mostly the just have a fetish for drinking and/or Thai girls :o )

So if you do truly have the experience and savvy you can probably make a successful go at it aslong as you look at any prospect objectively.

Edited by Fun2Fun

How much money do you have? I'll sell if the price is right. :D

Are you the owner of a bar Dave? what bar do you have, I have a friend in Thailand viewing places at the moment

:D

Dave owns the Blues Factory and I think it would take a whole lot of Som Tam to get him to give up that place !

(But I do have this shiny new 50 Billion Note bill burning a hole in my pocket...........) :o

I'm not going there to meet women or drink myelf stupid, thats what ive done in Estonia for the last 8 years, now I want warm weather and happy polite people and an expat community to serve like only the English/British can. Lead poisoning? I believe you can get that anywhere in the world, but many things only Thailand can offer. I am actually very big into playing snooker and pool and actually taught it to schools back in the UK, so there are many reasons for coming to Thailand, inluding some friend already there.

I haven't read all the posts here, but I'll put in my six penn'orth anyway!

It is possible to make a reasonable living out of a bar in a tourist resort in Thailand. I know, I have done it.

BUT - you must have experience and know all the scams the staff will pull on you.

You must have a trustworthy Thai partner who will listen to you (this is the difficult bit)

You must decide on your market and adjust your stock, your prices and your hours to that market. Thius is now very difficult because the authorities are deciding your hours for you.

You must have capital to invest, to carry you over the first 6 months or more.

You must get all the right licences and so on, and have a cashier who is good in English, will represent you at all conferences called by the police or other authorities.

You should not be sen to be 'working bar' unless you have a work permit. That means investing 2 mill in the business (or another business related to the bar, such as hygienist)(checking the girls for STDs)

It is difficult, it is fun - but a fortune maker it is not. Ask Fun Fun.

The first consideration is that you're NOT going to make money from a small beer bar. That means that you will likely need a minimum of three million baht just to get started. The next thing is to try to find good help. That won't be easy either. It also helps to have a few rental rooms above the bar. Just four or five decent rooms can make the difference between making a go of it and continuously dumping money in it. Good food draws customers. I don't mean a full blown menu. French fries, good hamburgers and hot dogs with the right toppings are usually enough. Maybe make up a pot of chili once in a while.

Buy a good electronic cash register so you can easily keep tract of your inventory. Pour your shots a little heavy (measured) but keep close track of how many you get per bottle. The hardest part is to keep from drinking too much. Customers LIKE to drink with the boss. It's not good business to refuse to allow a customer to buy you a drink.

And yes, I've been there and done that. You'll work more hours for less money than any other job you have had in your life.

Sure you can make money in a small beer bar. 60,000 baht initial investment will generate 4,000 baht a day volume if done right. You should net about 600 baht profit a day.

If you go up to 200,000 baht initial investment it gets tricky. You should live here for a while to do it right.

In about 6 months there will be a lot of bars for sale. Buy one and close it for a couple of years and live there. Open again after the depression and run it or sell it.

How much money do you have? I'll sell if the price is right. :D

Are you the owner of a bar Dave? what bar do you have, I have a friend in Thailand viewing places at the moment

:D

Dave owns the Blues Factory and I think it would take a whole lot of Som Tam to get him to give up that place !

(But I do have this shiny new 50 Billion Note bill burning a hole in my pocket...........) :o

Everything has its price. :D

I actually have two recommendations.

1. Insde the Tops grocery market there is an internet cafe owned by AUM. A nice lady. Steady income, low overhead, and always busy because of all the people that pass through the market. I almost bought it but I am not ready to spend that much time over there yet.

2. A fairly large bar right on Central road across the street from the market and a bit towards the water was for sale. Does a very good business. It is on a corner of a little side street that also leads down to Soi 8. It is a good sized bar that does a steady and big business. Looking at the numbers quickly, I think it could be a go. This is not one of those little bars with jujst four girls that limps along.

Chok Dee.

OK guys, thanks very much for your advice. I was in Pattaya 18 years ago but of course things have changed, I think I will give buying a bar in Thailand a miss. What are the chances of finding work in someone elses bar here, I have an idea of a concept for the expats (a story you heard a 1000 times before also I guess. Well is it still worth a visit as a tourist or not? What line of business are you guys in?

MARK,

Are you the Estonian that had a bar in Jomtien and had westham glen running it???

Hi Patklang, no not me sorry mate. whats the snooker scene like over there? is there a decent karaoke bar, i mean quality soundsystem, quality wireless mics and also vast song selection?

Mark,

Plenty of snooker halls,but the pool scene is very good with many leagues monday/wed/thurs and friday Dont know much about karaoke bars as i dont frequent.

Happy hunting

Hi Patklang, no not me sorry mate. whats the snooker scene like over there? is there a decent karaoke bar, i mean quality soundsystem, quality wireless mics and also vast song selection?

Nooooo - now you're going down the wrong street.

Snooker - yes, in the snooker halls, which, as everywhere, are a hang-out for the less law-abiding and are Thai enclaves. Virtually no foreigners.

Many expat bars have pool tables - but snooker takes up too much room. Ex-girl-friend of mine tried it a few years back in Soi Yamoto, but lost a lot of customer space.

Karaoke is another Thai thing over here. Not expat / tourist.

You really need to come out and see for yourself. There are a limited number of options in providing a good place to relax, maybe you have ideas that will bring in the customers and keep them.

If you are serious - approach the whole idea seriously and judge it all for yourself. It will take a while, but a good operator knows that.

Yes i will come out and look myself, i do have ideas that im sure will work, it has in the past, im serious about business not there for the women and alcohol, look forward to meeting the expats there. i actually played the shark in the thai snooker hallsback when i could play giving them 21 start, i think they will give me 21 these days