Car Import Update

tuktukmike

In THEORY you're right, but in actuality this isn't happening.  If it was happening, you'd be seeing a lot more cars imported here and then sold at a huge profit. Take your boxster.  In theory you pay a total of 35K USD to get the car here, then sell at 5-6 million baht.  Don't you think this has been tried over and over and people end up getting the car stuck in customs, then later sold at auction.

A 2008 striped boxer is about $39,000 out the door a loaded version is about $45,000 (including shipping). Times 328% is $147,600 PLUS the initial price of the car you are looking at about $190,000 + or about 5.4 million baht . Take a look at what they are selling here for, there are about 6 or 7 dealers in Bangkok. They are asking around 5.6 million.

http://www.one2car.com/CarInfor/fromcarbrand.aspx

It is only money and there are many rich Thais willing to pay the price for an exotic.

Edited by Rdrokit

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You lost me.  In the post prior to mine you were talking about bringing over a 10-15K used car and saving yourself a lot of money.  Your next post you are talking about a new boxster and not a used one.  I don't disagree with you about the price of new cars here for "exotics" ( although I would debate that an entry level porsche is an exotic), but I was merely pointing out that you think you can bring a car over, pay the taxes on it, then being able to have a car at far below market value here is simply not reality.  If it was that easy, I would have done it years ago.

Steelepulse, I agree on the base Porsche not being an exotic. That was not my post about the 10-15K used cars. It was post #102 by Dave 101 and I was only replying to it. Sorry for the confusion.

rokit

Sounds good.  Sorry I missed that post 102. There's another thread running where one BM says he managed to import an old triumph beater in bad shape, but it looks like he had to pay a serious amount of tea money in the attempt and still doesn't have a complete vehicle.

Rd rockt?  996? 430? 

Rd rockt?  996? 430? 

Would love a 996 but I would probably kill myself. I need 4 wheels not 2. Stands for Red Rocket, 69 Ferrari Daytona Spyder. Use to be my chick magnet in the States.

BPFerrari1JPG.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Its been very enlightening reading about importing a car into Thailand. I was considering importing my beamer x5 when (or should I say if) we move to Thailand. Looking at these threads there is no way I would even consider it now!!!

Do the same rules apply to importing anything into Thailand? ie, your going to get screwed by customs.

Rd rockt? 996? 430?

Would love a 996 but I would probably kill myself. I need 4 wheels not 2. Stands for Red Rocket, 69 Ferrari Daytona Spyder. Use to be my chick magnet in the States.

BPFerrari1JPG.jpg

I'm surprised girls would know what it is, looks like a TR7 to me.

I sold the 850 :) !! Took a pittance for it (10k EUR) but someone went and collected it from storage with flat batterys etc and just wired the money so cut my losses, should have sold it really before I letf but I loved it so much I always kinda hoped not to part with it..

Oddly enough I just found some old pics of it today.. Hadnt given it a thought in years.

I spent about 18k NLG on the alpine in dash navi / CD / DVD etc way back when it was all brand new tech, so 5k plus EUR on internals !! fark I gave that away !!

Not a bad motor for a gypsy kid in his 20's !!

Jesus... 10EUR for a CSI.... a steal... I had to pull up this thread again (sorry LivinLOS I was calling you LaoPo for some reason... he hasn't been around for awhile) because I found a ridiculous (read awesome) CSI in NY:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-8-Serie...08#ht_500wt_958

Good god... Alpine White... mmm... so hard to find, the CSIs... I've only seen one or two (real ones) in person and only ever driven one... plenty of 850i, Ci, blah blah around but the CSI is a real jewel. I'm thinking about moving back to the US just for the cheap cars...

I still can't believe you let it go for 10K EUR, I would have paid more :D

(girlx you suck for making me all car-crazy again, I was off it for all of what, 4 weeks...)

The US ones were very rare and always got more money.. I was suggested to attempt to sell it there for double a euro value but there were all kinds of questions about emissions registration.. They are a lot less rare in Germany, rare but not unheard of rare..

I knew it was worth more.. But in storage, with flat batts and tyres.. Whats the cost of getting on a plane to sort everything out...

I just let it go and chose to move on.

You lost me.  In the post prior to mine you were talking about bringing over a 10-15K used car and saving yourself a lot of money.  Your next post you are talking about a new boxster and not a used one.  I don't disagree with you about the price of new cars here for "exotics" ( although I would debate that an entry level porsche is an exotic), but I was merely pointing out that you think you can bring a car over, pay the taxes on it, then being able to have a car at far below market value here is simply not reality.  If it was that easy, I would have done it years ago.

There is a easy way to getting your exotic incountry cheaply.. Only makes sense on the mega money cars but..

Go to Malaysia.. Sign up to the malaysia my second home program.. Bring 50k USD into Malaysia (its still yours) get the malaysian 10 year visa, right to buy 2 homes, right to land ownership etc.. And the right to import one luxury car tax free..

Then import your Lambo.. Pay no tax.. Drive it into Thailand and out again once every 6 months..

The 50k USD in Malaysia is still yours.. and would save 20mil or so baht in the cost of the car.

You lost me. In the post prior to mine you were talking about bringing over a 10-15K used car and saving yourself a lot of money. Your next post you are talking about a new boxster and not a used one. I don't disagree with you about the price of new cars here for "exotics" ( although I would debate that an entry level porsche is an exotic), but I was merely pointing out that you think you can bring a car over, pay the taxes on it, then being able to have a car at far below market value here is simply not reality. If it was that easy, I would have done it years ago.

There is a easy way to getting your exotic incountry cheaply.. Only makes sense on the mega money cars but..

Go to Malaysia.. Sign up to the malaysia my second home program.. Bring 50k USD into Malaysia (its still yours) get the malaysian 10 year visa, right to buy 2 homes, right to land ownership etc.. And the right to import one luxury car tax free..

Then import your Lambo.. Pay no tax.. Drive it into Thailand and out again once every 6 months..

The 50k USD in Malaysia is still yours.. and would save 20mil or so baht in the cost of the car.

great post, how long would you have to have the $50,00 on deposit, could you withdraw it soon as you had the 10 year visa i wonder? silly point its not restrited just to US citizens is it ? would you have to buy a house there also ? cheers ,micky

You lost me. In the post prior to mine you were talking about bringing over a 10-15K used car and saving yourself a lot of money. Your next post you are talking about a new boxster and not a used one. I don't disagree with you about the price of new cars here for "exotics" ( although I would debate that an entry level porsche is an exotic), but I was merely pointing out that you think you can bring a car over, pay the taxes on it, then being able to have a car at far below market value here is simply not reality. If it was that easy, I would have done it years ago.

I think it would be a bit more complicated than that, Insurance for example, Road Tax - I can just imagine getting stopped constantly in a ferrari or similar with malaysian number plates and no Thai stickers in the windscreen. Probably add up very quickly in 'fines' etc...

Correct me if I'm wrong but are cars not left hand drive in the states.

I think it would turn the rose in to a dandilion converting to a right hander

Why ? there plenty of left hand drive car on the roads here with Thai plates

Plenty? Where???

Driving around on the roads, mostly all are on Thai plates, but have seen at least 2 still on GB plates, 3 still on German plates.

Most are USA cars, but there are lots of European cars LHD.....

From the Village were I live to the main road = 7 km, have seen 8 LHD cars many times, 2x USA, 1x I kow and belongs to a Thai Policeman, 2x Ford Capri, 1 is black Mk 2 the other is green Mk3 280 'Brooklands' 1x W126 cream lady driver Benz, 1x Opal Corsa, 1x Renault 25, 1x VW Bus belongs to a Thai garage owner, ALL these are on Thai plates.... Then on the main road there are 2 side of the road stall sellers with LHD cars from the USA and a LHD Astra Estate.. These are cars I see often while driving to the local Supermarket... Noticed a few different ones driving to Nonbaburi often + a good few while driving to other places

Looking for another car last September found there were a number of LHD in Tents for sale

LHD 280 BROOKLANDS CAPRI?

We need pics to back that up please....

Edited by hansgti

Rd rockt? 996? 430?

BPFerrari1JPG.jpg

I'm surprised girls would know what it is, looks like a TR7 to me.

Benjie,

Nobody asked you to show your ignorance.

The Malaysiamysecondhomeprogram has changed. You used to have to tie up your money for 365 days. Now its loooong. Read up.

I think it would be a bit more complicated than that, Insurance for example, Road Tax - I can just imagine getting stopped constantly in a ferrari or similar with malaysian number plates and no Thai stickers in the windscreen. Probably add up very quickly in 'fines' etc...

No problem with insurance. No need for thai road tax for malay vehicle. It all works fine, as long you are in LOS temp, non imm. And no yellow book with your name and adress.

They cant fine a malay car, only the driver for traffic offense.

last year i saw a Harley with rider on it pulled up out side Wat chai market pattaya, by the boys in brown.after the BIB had finished talking to the Harley rider i went over to chat to him , cos i did not recognize the reg plate, i asked him were he was from, he was an English guy, but he said he had rode from Malaysia the BIB had pulled him cos they said it was toooooo noisy, he told me he never had the book on him, the BIB were pissed, but let him go with a 200bht fine, never clamped his bike, wish i had spent more time chatting to him, seems the BIB could not do any think, may be wrong ????????????

Correct me if I'm wrong but are cars not left hand drive in the states.

I think it would turn the rose in to a dandilion converting to a right hander

Why ? there plenty of left hand drive car on the roads here with Thai plates

Plenty? Where???

Driving around on the roads, mostly all are on Thai plates, but have seen at least 2 still on GB plates, 3 still on German plates.

From the Village were I live to the main road = 7 km, have seen 8 LHD cars many times, 2x USA, 1x I kow and belongs to a Thai Policeman, 2x Ford Capri, 1 is black Mk 2 the other is green Mk3 280 'Brooklands' 1x W126 cream lady driver Benz, 1x Opal Corsa, 1x Renault 25, 1x VW Bus belongs to a Thai garage owner, ALL these are on Thai plates.... Then on the main road there are 2 side of the road stall sellers with LHD cars from the USA and a LHD Astra Estate.. These are cars I see often while driving to the local Supermarket... Noticed a few different ones driving to Nonbaburi often + a good few while driving to other places

Looking for another car last September found there were a number of LHD in Tents for sale

BULLSHIT ford never made a left hand drive brooklands 280. your credibility has all but gone my friend, pictures to prove me wrong please------ i dont think so, whats that smell ???????????????

BULLSHIT ford never made a left hand drive brooklands 280. your credibility has all but gone my friend, pictures to prove me wrong please------ i dont think so, whats that smell ???????????????

I have been wondering for long time since reading Ignis' posts if nonthaburi was somewhere in california. :)

Rd rockt? 996? 430?

BPFerrari1JPG.jpg

with a haircut and dress sense like that i can see why you would need a ferrari to get a girl.

Rd rockt? 996? 430?

BPFerrari1JPG.jpg

with a haircut and dress sense like that i can see why you would need a ferrari to get a girl.

Taxexile and Benjie, just go home. Youv said enough

Its a lovely car, and Ferrari has just picked up this theme again 30 years later with the California. None of them look like bloody english TR7 crap :):D:D

I can only say what was written on the back of the Capri. 'Brookland 2.8 Injection'

Saying that a friend in Austria had a LHD one !! no idea if he still has it, he had 4 Capri's as lost touch with him, he would now be in his 70's.

So on another note, did Mustang make RHD ? Yesterday going shopping overtook a black early model with a single Thai male sitting on the right hand side he was doing 40km........... It looked like my Cousin's Mustang hers was a 1965 model, I drove it often when visiting, she lives in Toronto

As there is/was many places that converted LHD to RHD, guess people could also convert RHD to LHD ???

Also Guess would not be difficult to buy the badge and put in on a LHD Capri Mk 3 ??? + a respray in the brooklands green ??

Its been very enlightening reading about importing a car into Thailand. I was considering importing my beamer x5 when (or should I say if) we move to Thailand. Looking at these threads there is no way I would even consider it now!!!

Do the same rules apply to importing anything into Thailand? ie, your going to get screwed by customs.

Yes, I think so. I brought our pet cat in (and he's no show-stopper) and they gave him an inflated value based on the circumference of the moon & then loaded on some special fees and taxes :)

If anyone has any interest there is a Factory here that converts LHD to RHD or RHD to LHD

Factory Location: 9/2 Moo 11 Talingchan-Suphunburi Rd, Bangrakpattana. Nonthaburi 11110

S. P. BANGYAI TRADING CO. , LTD

Tel: 66 2 9262530

Mobile: 66 85 0488499

Fax: 66 2 926 2533

I can only say what was written on the back of the Capri. 'Brookland 2.8 Injection'

Saying that a friend in Austria had a LHD one !! no idea if he still has it, he had 4 Capri's as lost touch with him, he would now be in his 70's.

So on another note, did Mustang make RHD ? Yesterday going shopping overtook a black early model with a single Thai male sitting on the right hand side he was doing 40km........... It looked like my Cousin's Mustang hers was a 1965 model, I drove it often when visiting, she lives in Toronto

The Capri 2,8 injection 160 hp was a great fun drifter :) . Leafspring and 4 speed. Only drifted it LHD in black

Now thay make Mustang with old fashion rear suspension cause its easier to drift :D:D

Rd rockt? 996? 430?

BPFerrari1JPG.jpg

Taxexile and Benjie, just go home. Youv said enough

Its a lovely car, and Ferrari has just picked up this theme again 30 years later with the California. None of them look like bloody english TR7 crap :):D:D

How somebody can compare a "Daytona" with a TR 7? TR7 is twice shorter than the "Daytona" and in they built them with mosthly with lousy 1500 engine. Just another wannabee soprt car. A Daytona Replica has at least a V8. I think it's a lovely car, even a Replica. I would be proud as well if it was mine.

It would appear that in Germany it was called 'Brookland 2.8 Injection' this is LHD and has 150 hp, top speed of 130mph and 0-60 of 7.8sec and was made untill 1986

1986 to 1987 the 'Brookland 280' was made in the Uk and had 160 hp........

The above info I got from the German Capri Club.

The only Fords I have owned was a Zodiac and later 2x Granada in Germany a V4 and a V6.....

I have put my camera in the car so if I see that green Capri again will try to take a photo of it for you.