Police Clearance Certificate & Letter From Embassy

Hello all,

I just filed an I-130 petition for my wife at the CIS office in Bangkok and was told that it would take 4-6 weeks to process it. In the mean time I'd like to get a head start on the paperwork for the visa. My wife called the police in Bangkok and asked what was required for the police clearance certificate. They indicated that among other things, they would need a letter from the embassy (United States in my case).

The Bangkok police clearance service center website also indicates a letter is required. The website states that a "Requesting letter from the embassy of the country that the applicant plans to travel if available)" is required. The use of the phrase "if available" sounds like this may be a discretionary requirement. So, I'm curious if anyone out there has obtained a police clearance certificate without the embassy letter, and if so, what they had to do.

Thanks for your responses.

RS

Hello all,

I just filed an I-130 petition for my wife at the CIS office in Bangkok and was told that it would take 4-6 weeks to process it. In the mean time I'd like to get a head start on the paperwork for the visa. My wife called the police in Bangkok and asked what was required for the police clearance certificate. They indicated that among other things, they would need a letter from the embassy (United States in my case).

The Bangkok police clearance service center website also indicates a letter is required. The website states that a "Requesting letter from the embassy of the country that the applicant plans to travel if available)" is required. The use of the phrase "if available" sounds like this may be a discretionary requirement. So, I'm curious if anyone out there has obtained a police clearance certificate without the embassy letter, and if so, what they had to do.

Thanks for your responses.

RS

The information needed for the police certificate comes in the mail with package 3. My wife was instructed to bring the following.

1. copy of her passport

2. copy of her Thai ID

3. copy of house register

4. name change certificate (if any)

5. copy of marriage certificate

6. copy of divorce certificate (if any)

7. "Notice of Approval For Relative Immigrant Visa Petition" (Form I-171)

8. copy of petitioner's passport

It is also recommended that you bring original documents with you just in case.

Google "Police Clearence Service Center Thailand". The website fails to mention that the petitioner's passport is needed... but it is. Perhaps the website is rarely updated so I wouldn't rely 100% on it.

It seems will need to wait until your petition is approved and you receive the approval letter from USCIS before you can get the police clearance.