Drug test at apartment block

SimonInBkk

Tomorrow Bangkok's finest are coming to my apartment block to administer drug tests.... a notice went up yesterday. Has anyone else heard of this? Has this happened at anyone else’s apartment / condo block?

The people in reception don't speak much English and the notice is in Thai so it is hard to get all the details, but they did say something about a new government policy and that they will be there between 10am and 6pm, which is when I will be out at work but #### I am worried about a knock on the door late at night now!

Is this legal? Can they come into my apartment?

As for an effective policy on drugs is seems a bit of a joke, for a start there is a warning that they are coming, and are they really going to catch anyone out???

If anyone has heard anything on this any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance

Simon

ps

As for the fact of the drug test that doesn’t worry me as I don't take any drugs at all, I don't even drink.... it is just well strange that they are doing this.

Simon, this sort of thing is exactly why I posted the original question. For the police to arrive at a private apartment block and test all tenants for drugs is just unbelivable to me. It is hardly behaviour you would expect from a free country.

Apparently other members disagree with me and say that because this is a representative government, if the people don't like what is being done, they can just elect someone else in 8 years. I think this is ridiculous. The term 'abuse of power' comes to mind. And also, it is naive to think that these politicians won't have a grip on power for decades to come.

And under Thai law, is this legal? Is everyone assumed guilty until they prove themselves innocent?

the only thing that frightens me about such ridiculous actions is the frightening ease and ability it would be too set someone up. in a survey done by the justice ministry over 75 percent of people in a random survey thought that over 80 percent of people in prison in thailand were in fact innocent and just scapegoats.

obviously you have nothing to worry about if you consider the police in thailand to be upstanding members of the community painstakingly applying the laws impartially and without predjudice too those that break them. but if you think that the majority are nothing more than pathetically fearful paid lackeys who will do just about anything to save their own necks then worry.

I think it's a bunch of BS! If an individual has done something to warrant such actions, that's one thing. But to blanket an area and submit everyone to this procedure, that a bunch of crap.

I agree with you completley. i think this goes for the clubs too. If you are a patron at a club, why must you prove yourself innocent to Bangkok's finest? What have you done wrong? So what if some people at the club might have taken drugs. What does that have to do with you? Is this guilt by association acceptable under Thai law or do the police and politicians just do what they want to do because they have the power?

In the Bangkok Post today it was mentioned that there are new allegations against the police. Apparently when they booked the massage girls for prostitution by posing as clients, they first had sex with the girls. What a joke. And of course, after a few decades they just realized that sex was taking place at these establishments and decided it must be stopped immediately. the message is clear. If you cross the police in Thailand, you will pay.

Well I mangaged to avoid them as I was out a work all day and me and my girlfriend decided to go and check out a movie after work.

I got my girlfriend to translate the notice for me and it appears they were doing spot checks on the whole area (Ratchawitti). I think the apartment managers weren't meant to show the notice, my girlfriend said they had added the times on it etc. and by the tone of the letter it was meant to be a surprise spot check. So it was cool that they warned everyone in advance.

Also it said that this is now offical government policy that 'no drugs are to be taken in condos and apartments'. Hey maybe if you live in a house it is different!  :laugh:

Oh and it also said that random checks will happen all over bkk.