Macaw Breeder In / Near Bangkok?

i would like to add that u might want to reconsider a smaller and friendlier type of parrot; macaws are one owner only types and often they only like someoen arbitrarily and not neccessarily the owner. and the people they dislike can suffer much physical damage from them. i have scars on a finger from one 7 year old. we had two , as they get older they get a bit nastier (testier)...

also amazons are problematic. dont know why people who have never raised or owned or worked with parrots buy the big difficult ones.

smaller types like conures and rosellas and are fun nicer and smaller, therefore easier to deal with and keep and feed...

macaws need a lot of psychological space (they dont fly much but move around alot), make a big mess, have a beak that has the strenght of a pit bull and a bit of that type of personality... and if u go away on vacation it is hard to find someone who can bird sit as the bird may hate the babysitter...

just some food for thought...

bina

israel

If I may add my 2 pennorth, leave macaws alone!!, if it has to be a large bird, try a Sulphur crested or Moluccan Cockatoo, but what ever bird you decide on, pick a juvenile , preferably hand raised,other reccomendable birds especially if you have children are Major Mitchells, Galah, or King Parrot, what ever you do do not !! buy an Eclectus Parrot,they are spectacular looking birds lovely to handle until they reach mating age and then they turn very aggressive, please dont let anyone try and tell you different, another good guideline is ask to see the parents of the bird you are buying, good luck with your choice , if I can be of assistance let me know :o

• 1 month later...
buy an Eclectus Parrot,they are spectacular looking birds lovely to handle until they reach mating age and then they turn very aggressive, please dont let anyone try and tell you different

Sorry but I must disagree, I owed both a male and female Eclectus well in to their mating ages. They were a pleasure to have and were part of the family. Sadly they had to remain in the USA because of an import bird ban here in Thailand. It is true they can get a little moody from time to time during mating season but I still handled them each and everyday.

OP if you want a great parrot and you have some experience with birds get a hand raised baby Electus you'll we be rewarded with a life long friend.

I have a blue and gold macaw aged 7, if this is your first bird, i would advise something smaller as macaws can be nasty and a one man bird, mine is not so bad, he does have his bad days and sometimes does give a bite. and remember these live to 60+.

Here is Harry

post-9688-1238499311_thumb.jpg

Also you must keep parrots ocupied, otherwise they will start feather plucking.

One question, can you bring a parrot from the UK into Thailand, some people tell me it is ok if i have vets papers etc, and others say, ban on importation of Birds, as when i move full time i would like to bring this bird with me.

Edited by Thaicoon

One question, can you bring a parrot from the UK into Thailand, some people tell me it is ok if i have vets papers etc, and others say, ban on importation of Birds, as when i move full time i would like to bring this bird with me.

If you do find a way to import our feathered friends please post your "how to" directions. I miss my Eclectus parrot everyday :o

• 3 months later...

If you do find a way to import our feathered friends please post your "how to" directions. I miss my Eclectus parrot everyday :)

It is indeed possible to bring your parrot into Thailand. After a three year wait my African Grey came over last June.

The Ministry of Agriculture's website has clear instructions. The only caveat is the "window of opportunity" concerning the bird flu ban can be very small. It takes months to get CITES approval from your home country and often by then the window is closed. Call them and see if the window is open (it tends to open/close with every bird flu case scare in the region) and go from there.

CITES Thailand can actually push their end of the paperwork through in mere days if you go about it right.. and its even possible to get their approval and allow the parrot in.. while they process the paperwork afterwards.

It's the longest string of hoops you've ever had to jump through.. but doable if you have the patience.

smaller types like conures and rosellas and are fun nicer and smaller, therefore easier to deal with and keep and feed...

bina

israel

Easy to say...but I am sure having trouble finding many conures...and especially not a crimson bellied conure.

i would like to add that u might want to reconsider a smaller and friendlier type of parrot; macaws are one owner only types and often they only like someoen arbitrarily and not neccessarily the owner. and the people they dislike can suffer much physical damage from them. i have scars on a finger from one 7 year old. we had two , as they get older they get a bit nastier (testier)... (the same advice goes for Cockatoos)

also amazons are problematic. dont know why people who have never raised or owned or worked with parrots buy the big difficult ones.

macaws need a lot of psychological space (they dont fly much but move around alot), make a big mess, have a beak that has the strength of a pit bull and a bit of that type of personality... and if u go away on vacation it is hard to find someone who can bird sit as the bird may hate the babysitter...

just some food for thought...

bina

israel

Good advice Bina!

Unless you have had experience looking after large birds, forget it.

Take a look at My toos and turn your sound right up.

I would go for a quiet, "Green" conure, nowhere near as noisy as a Sun Conure and they can be fun for the whole family. Conures are regarded as mini macaws.... without dander.

The only 'large' bird I would consider is an African Grey, or an Eclectus, but do I have time to devote an hour's playtime in the morning and the same in the evening???

(& dander could be a problem)

Do NOT buy an unweaned bird, make sure it has been hand raised or parent raised.

Have a look at the birds at the Or Tor Kor Talad near JJ Market & at Sanam Luang 2.

Buy the biggest cage you can find, regardless of the type of bird.

Good luck. :)

Please do not buy from JJ.. not good.

There is a breeder in Bangkok - Mr Somchai. Here's his site

you can also see his set up in this youtube clip.

I like the fact that he has a very large aviary for the adults to fly around in..

Thanks for those links. :)

Looks like a very professional breeder.

Any more good Thai websites?

I would go for a quiet, "Green" conure, nowhere near as noisy as a Sun Conure and they can be fun for the whole family. Conures are regarded as mini macaws.... without dander.

I assume you are suggesting a green cheek conure or a maroon-bellied conure. I have had both, and indeed they are nice and relativey quiet (except when something sets off their conure nuclear alert mode!). My maroon belly was, however, quite jealous of other birds. Another excellent suggestion are the peach front conures. The one I had was (at least in terms of non-humans) the love of my life. And yes, no really noticeable dander.

The only 'large' bird I would consider is an African Grey, or an Eclectus, but do I have time to devote an hour's playtime in the morning and the same in the evening???

(& dander could be a problem)

I had a very happy African grey (timneh variety) who got no play time in the morning, but gots at least 2-4 hours of time out of the cage each evening. A very gentle bird. Dander was noticeable, but not to the extend of a cockatoo. If you want a shoulder bird, you should go witht he timneh variety...they are slightly smaller...but still not something I liked walking around with much. They also tend to pluck a little less. I have seen a few here in Thailand, although the other species is much more common. Timnehs have the dull maroon tail feathers, while the other species have the bright red tail feathers.

Do NOT buy an unweaned bird, make sure it has been hand raised or parent raised.

Agreed, unless you have real experience with this. I made that mistake with an African grey, luckily realized I was in over my head, and got the breeder to agree to take the bird back before any real damage was done.

Have a look at the birds at the Or Tor Kor Talad near JJ Market & at Sanam Luang 2.

Buy the biggest cage you can find, regardless of the type of bird.

Don't agree with this, although the cage should be big enough to be truly comfortable for the bird. You have to keep in mind bar spacing. The cage I had for my African grey wouldn't have worked at all for my conures...they could have easily squeezed out through the bars in the big cage.

Good luck. :)

Looks like a very professional breeder.

Any more good Thai websites?

Very frustrating (at least so far) to be searching for companion birds here in Thailand. I wish there were some "pet bird" clubs.

By biggest, I meant the overall size of the cage, not the bar spacing.

What happened about the dealer / breeder I gave you at Sanam Luang2 for crimson bellied conures?

By biggest, I meant the overall size of the cage, not the bar spacing.

Okay, but in general -- at least in the States -- the bar spacing is in relation to the overall size of the cage.

What happened about the dealer / breeder I gave you at Sanam Luang2 for crimson bellied conures?

Just haven't gotten out there yet...but it is definitely on the agenda. We won't move into a condo for at least 2 more weeks, so after that will get more serious about the hunt. I deeply appreciate the advice, BTW!

Okay, but in general -- at least in the States -- the bar spacing is in relation to the overall size of the cage.

You are going to have to pinch yourself every day to remember the rest of the world does not revolve around what happens in Americaaaa's pet shops.

The 4 cages I brought from Aus (made in China) measure 36"x 36" x 18" with .5" bar spacing and large swing-up entry, big enough for a Cocky or a Budgie. :) Bloody heavy, too.

• 2 weeks later...

Egg - on - face time! :D

I've suggested a couple of times to go to "Or Tor Kor" market for parrots & bird cages.

I went there today, forget it!

All the bird dealers have gone, the area looks shoddy & run-down.

Lots of animal cage dealers but only 2 bird cages on sale, they were v.v. large but White...... a color that is as useless for birds as an ashtray on a motorbike....... unless you have black birds! :D 7000 & 8000bt each. :)

Best bet now would be JJ PLAZA, across the road.

Egg - on - face time! :D

I've suggested a couple of times to go to "Or Tor Kor" market for parrots & bird cages.

I went there today, forget it!

All the bird dealers have gone, the area looks shoddy & run-down.

Lots of animal cage dealers but only 2 bird cages on sale, they were v.v. large but White...... a color that is as useless for birds as an ashtray on a motorbike....... unless you have black birds! :D 7000 & 8000bt each. :)

Best bet now would be JJ PLAZA, across the road.

Are you sure? There were several bird dealers -- although none in which I was interested -- just two weeks ago.

• 14 years later...
On 3/29/2009 at 10:11 PM, IssanDM said:

Sorry but I must disagree, I owed both a male and female Eclectus well in to their mating ages. They were a pleasure to have and were part of the family. Sadly they had to remain in the USA because of an import bird ban here in Thailand. It is true they can get a little moody from time to time during mating season but I still handled them each and everyday.

OP if you want a great parrot and you have some experience with birds get a hand raised baby Electus you'll we be rewarded with a life long friend.

Hello, do you know any breeder in Thailand for eclectus parrot?

32 minutes ago, Joelariaman said:

Hello, do you know any breeder in Thailand for eclectus parrot?

Asking about a post from 2009, to a poster who was last here January 2016. You may be waiting some time!

Macaws at Tha Mai airstrip, Chanthaburi, have seen up to 16 at a time out for free flight 

spacer.png