Tor Bor Tor Ha - Do Thais Trade This Kind If Land

Some one asked me recently if they should buy 20 rai of land (Tor Bor Tor Ha) Which is basically -as far as i can find out - squatters rights with a form of aknowledgement in writing from the local land office.

The price was 200k for 20 rai.

Since the land - according to the law - cant be leased or sold, is it common practice for Thais to sell this kind of land to each othere. And if so how?

Some one asked me recently if they should buy 20 rai of land (Tor Bor Tor Ha) Which is basically -as far as i can find out - squatters rights with a form of aknowledgement in writing from the local land office.

Since the land - according to the law - cant be leased or sold, is it common practice for Thais to sell this kind of land to each othere. And if so how?

Very common; in fact, MUCH easier than with Sor Por Kor land. Land sale/purchase contracts are readily available in local shops - these are signed by both parties and witnessed by the PooYaiBan (village head). The price mentioned would be normal in my area.

Very common; in fact, MUCH easier than with Sor Por Kor land. Land sale/purchase contracts are readily available in local shops - these are signed by both parties and witnessed by the PooYaiBan (village head). The price mentioned would be normal in my area.

Thanks, so what rights does the squatter have? I understand that the document is simply exchanged and witnessed by the Pooyaiban. So I assume the money transfer is purely personal - between seller and buyer. Can anyone recalim this land in the future? and can one build a house?

The 20k per rai was put across as discount due to hard times! It is in Korat

Hey Mister Khonwan,

Are Tor Bor Tor and Por Bor Tor two different things? Also, if the land is undocumented, can anyone just squat on the land and re-claim it?

How can you get teh PooYaiBaan to sign a document to allow you to use the land? Does a new PooYaiBaan signature supercede one that was signed by a previous PooYaiBaan?

Jeff

There is plenty of info on the different types of title and squatters rights within the web sites of many thai firms (and probably a lot already in this sub-forum if you search for it). The form of occupancy you are talking about here is essentially to allow people to grow fruit trees or rice etc while the government decides what the land should be ultimately used for. You cannot legally register the sale or lease of such land, banks will not accept it as collateral, and you cannot legally build upon it. It may or may not eventually be converted to a more secure form of title.

In short most people would say it's taking quite a gamble for a farang to buy such land (depending on purchase price and intended use I guess). Yes, Thais do "sell" the land, and yes they do build on it. And yes, they may have grown up with the pooyai baan and gone to the same school together. And if someone likes the look of your land (and house?) in a year or two where do you think you will stand in the 'pecking order'? :o

near where I live its very expensive too like ko chang - with bars , hotels, villas and shops. a while back the land office told everybody if they were operating a buss. they would have to leave on one particular beach, but houses could stay- but nothing happened. the fee they have been charging is 200k per rai change the title from bt5 to ns3. most of the land i speak of is ocean front- we guess about half of the island is bt5 land.