Mike Riley

mrtoad

Is this guy the worst referee in the Premier league? I really can't see how this guy continues to get the big games, maybe he is a botty boy with someone in the FA, because quite frankly I'm getting more and more pissed off with this ref. He has constantly called bad decsions, but unike other refs he very rarely admits that he makes mistakes.

Just looking at Riley, one wonders why he has chosen to be a football re?. One can only imagine a young Riley at school being the last pick along with the fat kid when picking football teams, maybe it is this expereince that has made him determined to make it big in football by taking back some power and ruining people's enjoyment of games. Some of his decisions yesterday were totally scandalous. Lampard sent off for a fair tackle, Bosingwa not even carded for sticking his foot into the back of Benayoun, and a number of other indifferent calls.

This is certainly not the first time he has made ludicrous decisions, there are so many of them. Anyway thats's my rant out of the way.

What do you guys think of him? And any other bad refs out there. I haven't mention Urriah Rennie yet :o

he's been consistently bad for years, and was undoubtedly bullied to fuc_k at school. there's something very vermin-like about his features, so much so that you could imagine him being an underhand nazi collaborator in the second world war. it's bad that you go into a match with him as referee expecting him to make at least one major whopper of a howler during the match, you just pray that it isn't against your team.

that said i still don't think he's as bad as graham poll, uriah rennie and jeff winter were. they were showbiz refs who believed that they should be the centre of attention in a match, ignoring the time-honoured maxim that a ref's had a good game if you don't remember who the ref was.

if Mike Riley lived in Pattaya he looks the sort to be a Police Volunteer; they accept any old t*at for that.

Graham Poll:

What an ego and often incompetent.

Whatever happened to Uriah Heep, whoops, I mean Rennie?

Refs can't win can they & certainly can't keep everyone happy..

Yeah he mistakes, but he's a Human Being, we all do..

Do you know the problem with the Refs now ??

It's because all of these " experts ", including us, who get 6 or so different angles after a decision that has to be made at real time by a Man who may not have the best view & may have his view blocked, trying to be influenced by thousands of people in teh Stadium & 22 big Kids on the Pitch..

Not a job i'd envy to be honest but they try their best & that's all you can ask..

There is a problem in my opinion with Refs at home, not helped by the fact that the people they're officiating sometimes earn more in a week than what they do in a year, how on that basis is respect possible , with respect being the number 1 Rule that should be abided by to have a sucessful Refereing display ??

he's been consistently bad for years, and was undoubtedly bullied to fuc_k at school. there's something very vermin-like about his features, so much so that you could imagine him being an underhand nazi collaborator in the second world war. it's bad that you go into a match with him as referee expecting him to make at least one major whopper of a howler during the match, you just pray that it isn't against your team.

that said i still don't think he's as bad as graham poll, uriah rennie and jeff winter were. they were showbiz refs who believed that they should be the centre of attention in a match, ignoring the time-honoured maxim that a ref's had a good game if you don't remember who the ref was.

Yeah, his appearance is somewhat disturbing. As you mentioned Poll, Winter and Rennie they certainly did believe that people came to watch them, although I'm getting the feeling that Riley is getting a bit that way. I liked the comment attributed to Levaski president after Riley had fuc_ked up in a European tie, he branded him a "British homosexual". :o

It's because all of these " experts ", including us, who get 6 or so different angles after a decision that has to be made at real time by a Man who may not have the best view & may have his view blocked, trying to be influenced by thousands of people in teh Stadium & 22 big Kids on the Pitch..

Not a job i'd envy to be honest but they try their best & that's all you can ask..

There is a problem in my opinion with Refs at home, not helped by the fact that the people they're officiating sometimes earn more in a week than what they do in a year, how on that basis is respect possible , with respect being the number 1 Rule that should be abided by to have a sucessful Refereing display ??

if Mike Riley lived in Pattaya he looks the sort to be a Police Volunteer; they accept any old t*at for that.

Graham Poll:

:o He'd be lurking around in Boystown as well.

Graham Poll:

think rennie got busted down, sacked to championship level, then retired a couple of seasons back having exceeded the 45 age limit. he was the only referee to ever have a sponsored boot deal.

there's a lot of truth in that, particularly that their decisions get pored over by tv analysts to the nth degree.

pierluigi collina never seemed to have the same problems though. uefa should've cloned him.

there's a lot of truth in that, particularly that their decisions get pored over by tv analysts to the nth degree.

pierluigi collina never seemed to have the same problems though. uefa should've cloned him.

& us, don't forget us Stevie, sitting at home making our own decisions after watching the same 6 replays that the analysts get, telling our Pals how our Dog's could referee but thatn the Idiot we're watching on the TV... :o

& us, don't forget us Stevie, sitting at home making our own decisions after watching the same 6 replays that the analysts get, telling our Pals how our Dog's could referee but thatn the Idiot we're watching on the TV... :o

oh i agree, i get as irate as anyone when refs make such an obvious blunder. i can let them off with the majority of mistakes as that's all they are, mistakes made in split-second judgement territory. riley's sending off of lampard and missing of bosingwa's assault on benayoun last night were just shocking though.

In the end they still earn decent money, and when certain refs are constantly making fundamental mistakes, ti's easy to loose patience with them. Riley's performance last night was shocking.

I know it's a tough job, but these Ref's have chosen that as a career, so the sympathy from me isn't there.

In the end they still earn decent money, and when certain refs are constantly making fundamental mistakes, ti's easy to loose patience with them. Riley's performance last night was shocking.

I know it's a tough job, but these Ref's have chosen that as a career, so the sympathy from me isn't there.

Fair enough Toady but how often do you come to the conclusion that Refs make these fundamental mistakes, the first time you see the challenge & not after watching it say, from 4 angles, & slowed down ??

you're absolutely right,but dont spoil our slagging posts :o

i don't think i can think of any other job where the decisions you have to make in a split-second are so dissected and agonised over by so-called experts and the population at large though. i think the best referees are a bit mental, like the best goalkeepers. when they have a good game it barely gets talked about, if they have a bad game though then they're fuc_ked for ages.

i don't think i can think of any other job where the decisions you have to make in a split-second are so dissected and agonised over by so-called experts and the population at large though. i think the best referees are a bit mental, like the best goalkeepers. when they have a good game it barely gets talked about, if they have a bad game though then they're fuc_ked for ages.

so what you are saying then is reina is perfectly sain?

Fair enough Toady but how often do you come to the conclusion that Refs make these fundamental mistakes, the first time you see the challenge & not after watching it say, from 4 angles, & slowed down ??

Mr Singh :o , I agree, even I make mistakes when I see things on TV. Of course, it's to be expected that refs make mistakes, it's part of the game and I don't think it is easy. It just seems that certain ref's constantly make high profile mistakes. Riley is one of the biggest culprits for that, and I just don't understand why he continues to get the high profile games, when he is clearly not up to it. As for Harold Webb, I am becoming more impressed with him, and I thought he did a good job last night in reffing the Sunderland v Newcastle match, other than the penalty decision which was a poor decision.

Mr Singh :o , I agree, even I make mistakes when I see things on TV. Of course, it's to be expected that refs make mistakes, it's part of the game and I don't think it is easy. It just seems that certain ref's constantly make high profile mistakes. Riley is one of the biggest culprits for that, and I just don't understand why he continues to get the high profile games, when he is clearly not up to it. As for Harold Webb, I am becoming more impressed with him, and I thought he did a good job last night in reffing the Sunderland v Newcastle match, other than the penalty decision which was a poor decision.

Exactly Mate but how costly could that " wrong " decision be at the end of the Season ( cos it got them a Point ) to one of the Teams that get relegated ??

Webb has impressed me too but he made ONE decision yesterday that was awful & ultimately affected the result of the Game & possibly a Relegation place..

Tough Job & Stevie's right about how it gets scrutinised so much, & i think it's wrong..

If we want an exact Science to Football decisions on teh Pitch, we will have to implement modern Technology ( which even then has to be judged by a Human ) which will ruin the Game imo, let's got on with it as there is an old saying that is very, very true. Over the course of a Season it does even itself out.. :D

If we want an exact Science to Football decisions on teh Pitch, we will have to implement modern Technology ( which even then has to be judged by a Human ) which will ruin the Game imo, let's got on with it as there is an old saying that is very, very true. Over the course of a Season it does even itself out.. :o

never a truer word than that m. the game is the game because of the random elements inherent in it. mistakes are as significant as moments of genius.

that latter bit is crap though, as evidenced by rafa's recent detailed dossier and everyone outside of salford agreeing with him. :D

If we want an exact Science to Football decisions on teh Pitch, we will have to implement modern Technology ( which even then has to be judged by a Human ) which will ruin the Game imo, let's got on with it as there is an old saying that is very, very true. Over the course of a Season it does even itself out.. :o

never a truer word than that m. the game is the game because of the random elements inherent in it. mistakes are as significant as moments of genius.

that latter bit is crap though, as evidenced by rafa's recent detailed dossier and everyone outside of salford agreeing with him. :D

:D

Although Riley is undoubtedley a huge trosser :o until the use of technology is brought in, errors by all refs and linesmen will continue.

Very true, just like Delaps sending off on Saturday which was deserved, but SWP should have joined him as well for the kick out, which went toally unnoticed.

Edited by mrtoad

Riley is totaly out of his depth and didnt even give a yellow card to Gerrard for kicking the ball at a player,and Rory Delap did the same for Stoke and got a straight red.

He is brilliant compared to Rob Styles though,that gut needs to pack up before someone does him real damage.

Must admit though,the powers of football want a non contact sport and protect the top teams far too much,and allow the crazy diving antiques far too much.Just look at what Ronaldo gets away with because he is fergies bum boy.

Although Riley is undoubtedley a huge trosser :o until the use of technology is brought in, errors by all refs and linesmen will continue.

Very tru, just like Delaps sending off on Saturday which was deserved, but SWP should have joined him as well for the kick out, which went toally unoticed.

If you think Delap should have walked,what about the kick by the man c coloured midget,and 2 man city players running in and pushing and shoving,i though was far worde than kicking a ball at a body on the floor.If it was so bad why didnt Gerrard get sent off??????

Delaps was not a sending off,it was a booking,swp should have been sent of for a wild kick at Delap and about 4 manc players should have been at least booked for the attacks after,especialy rubber lips Richards.This shows how biased refs are to england players and top clubs and how much they deterst smaller clubs,stinks to high heaven to me.

Riley is totaly out of his depth and didnt even give a yellow card to Gerrard for kicking the ball at a player,and Rory Delap did the same for Stoke and got a straight red.

He is brilliant compared to Rob Styles though,that gut needs to pack up before someone does him real damage.

Must admit though,the powers of football want a non contact sport and protect the top teams far too much,and allow the crazy diving antiques far too much.Just look at what Ronaldo gets away with because he is fergies bum boy.

good desription of the porky styles is that.

good desription of the porky styles is that.

SHOULD HAVE BEEN GUY NOT GUT,BUT IF THE CAP FITS WEAR IT LOL

If you think Delap should have walked,what about the kick by the man c coloured midget,and 2 man city players running in and pushing and shoving,i though was far worde than kicking a ball at a body on the floor.If it was so bad why didnt Gerrard get sent off??????

Delaps was not a sending off,it was a booking,swp should have been sent of for a wild kick at Delap and about 4 manc players should have been at least booked for the attacks after,especialy rubber lips Richards.This shows how biased refs are to england players and top clubs and how much they deterst smaller clubs,stinks to high heaven to me.

easy with the nomenclature there eh tiger?

Edited by StevieH

Very true, just like Delaps sending off on Saturday which was deserved, but SWP should have joined him as well for the kick out, which went toally unnoticed.

Your absolutely right Toady. SWP was a very lucky lad.