Bikers - Can You Enlighten Me?

lawling

Around Pattaya - but indeed everywhere - I see increasingly guys riding motorbikes with those extreme, raised, Peter Fonda/Easy Rider- type handlebars. There's probably a name for them but I don't know it.

As I'm obviously not a biker, I'm maybe missing something but it seems to me that that raised-arm position must become very tiring, that it must add considerably to the wind drag and that the rider must have less control of his bike than someone in the position I would associate with, say, a Valentio Rossi.

But are there advantages or is it just something that some folk like to do for effect?

saw a cbr150 with them last week.

i was confused...

I've got a pic somewhere of a little scooter that has been modified, and the guy has these monster ape-hangars that he can barely grip when he's sitting down on the seat !

My buddy put a set of medium height ape-hangars on his Softail for a few months, then got rid of them. I used to bug him about having them just so he could air out his pits while he was riding (and the smell helped convince his wife not to ride with him) ! :o

other than looking cool
Which is open to debate. :o

Looking goofy & providing a very tiring & unsafe driving position.

I think I'll stick with stock.

But I do want a WW2 Nazi helmet though.

Very good point Rustic.

DOTCOM is spot on they can be very dangerous & make motorcycle control difficult. OMCG fellows will disagree. Many countries have strict guidelines in relation to these handlebars and the heights they can go to.

Looking goofy & providing a very tiring & unsafe driving position.

I think I'll stick with stock.

You can get the WW2 Nazi helmets on-line, I dont know if they are legal in LOS though?

FF

I know in some countries they have helmet standards that must be met. After viewing whats available here in Thailand (at Lotus etc) I think anything is excepted. I picture an ice-cream bucket with a chin strap as okay!

The old saying $2 head, $2 helmet springs to mind :o

Around Pattaya - but indeed everywhere - I see increasingly guys riding motorbikes with those extreme, raised, Peter Fonda/Easy Rider- type handlebars. There's probably a name for them but I don't know it.

As I'm obviously not a biker, I'm maybe missing something but it seems to me that that raised-arm position must become very tiring, that it must add considerably to the wind drag and that the rider must have less control of his bike than someone in the position I would associate with, say, a Valentio Rossi.

But are there advantages or is it just something that some folk like to do for effect?

Dude, I'm a sports tourer biker and I often think the same thing.

I don't see the appeal with the humongous bars either, but then as my father once said - If you buy a Harley, you like to pose. I think the hard-ship goes with the image, if nothing else it'll toughen up your arms and give you a work-out :o

If you have a chopper then you really are an exhibitionist.

Which is why, when you go to the biker festivals and the super-choppers turn up everyone marvels, cause they are an extreme spectacle.

I was in the no1 bar in Chiang Mai a few years ago. A Harley Rider rolls past, nothing too unusual, except he is lit up like a fcking xmas tree!! I'm not joking he and the bike were lit up like the bad guy off the Running Man! Blue leds and all sorts flashing and blinking!

He came to the bar and was talking to the 'fans', I couldn't make out all what he said but I gathered he'd had the work done in the states and shipped her over here. Total geek-dude but for sure an enthusiast on the custom HD scene.

other than looking cool
Which is open to debate. :o

C'mon Terry, they would look so good on the 848 :D

We should bring a couple of sets into Thong Lor and say we want them put on.

Ape hangers go back to the 50's and 60's. They were used to make the early choppers more outrageous. California has a law that says your hands can't be above your shoulders.

Dude, I'm a sports tourer biker and I often think the same thing.

I don't see the appeal with the humongous bars either, but then as my father once said - If you buy a Harley, you like to pose. I think the hard-ship goes with the image, if nothing else it'll toughen up your arms and give you a work-out :o

If you have a chopper then you really are an exhibitionist.

Which is why, when you go to the biker festivals and the super-choppers turn up everyone marvels, cause they are an extreme spectacle.

I was in the no1 bar in Chiang Mai a few years ago. A Harley Rider rolls past, nothing too unusual, except he is lit up like a fcking xmas tree!! I'm not joking he and the bike were lit up like the bad guy off the Running Man! Blue leds and all sorts flashing and blinking!

He came to the bar and was talking to the 'fans', I couldn't make out all what he said but I gathered he'd had the work done in the states and shipped her over here. Total geek-dude but for sure an enthusiast on the custom HD scene.

I remember many years ago there was a movie playing about a rider who looked like what you described.I don't recall the name of the movie but I think it had to do something with electra glide.

After viewing whats available here in Thailand (at Lotus etc) I think anything is excepted. I picture an ice-cream bucket with a chin strap as okay!

The old saying $2 head, $2 helmet springs to mind :D

Got it in 1 !!!!! Go into tesco. Buy a hard hat ; the kind used on construction sites. For the deluxe model drill 2 holes & run a piece of twine for a chin strap!!!!! :o

I remember many years ago there was a movie playing about a rider who looked like what you described.I don't recall the name of the movie but I think it had to do something with electra glide.

The movie was Electra Glide in Blue. Came out in early 70s. About a very short cop who rode a Harley FL (?) coloured blue! It had a sort of cult following at the time.

I don't recall the bike having seriously raised handlebars though.

question sucks..what would valentino rossi be doin with ape hangers come on ...................choppers are choppers .sports bikes are what they say

I was simply trying to understand why some people ride bikes like that. And I'm grateful to all those who provided constructive information.

I remember many years ago there was a movie playing about a rider who looked like what you described.I don't recall the name of the movie but I think it had to do something with electra glide.[/i]

The movie was Electra Glide in Blue. Came out in early 70s. About a very short cop who rode a Harley FL (?) coloured blue! It had a sort of cult following at the time.

I don't recall the bike having seriously raised handlebars though.

I didn't mean about the raised handlebars but about the the rider covered with led's.Not sure if it was electra glide in blue.Maybe some other member can put me in the right direction.

Classy, real classy... :o

Perhaps Nazi was the wrong choice of words. The WWII German Style helmet though must have been a good design, as many of our modern Kevlar helmets are very similar in style.

In fact, the helmet sitting arms length away from me (on top of my bullet proof vest) is quite similar to the German design.

So what say we ditch Nazi references and snarky replies (leave that stuff in the General Forum threads) and get back to Bikes ! Come on, Just over a week to go to Burapa and I've been cooped up in this camp for a long time !

Classy, real classy... :o

Perhaps Nazi was the wrong choice of words. The WWII German Style helmet though must have been a good design, as many of our modern Kevlar helmets are very similar in style.

In fact, the helmet sitting arms length away from me (on top of my bullet proof vest) is quite similar to the German design.

So what say we ditch Nazi references and snarky replies (leave that stuff in the General Forum threads) and get back to Bikes ! Come on, Just over a week to go to Burapa and I've been cooped up in this camp for a long time !

Ah the voice of reason! Thank you KerryD! Let's get back to BIKES! Happy Trails!

I rode a few friends bikes with Apehangers. They are ok for bar hopping or short runs for me, although I must say as I always used to get stuck behind cars in Bangkok traffic, the guys with Apehangers squeezed through and never hit any cager mirrors. I say the more the variety and customisation the better, why be so critical?