I Received A Pm Spam

Jimmyd

From member named george. Topic title:

Hi Jimmyd, Member competition - Win 10,000 Baht cash

I just assume this is spam.

Not spam, just an opportunity to help out the site and maybe win a prize from the big guy (george) !

Not spam, just an opportunity to help out the site and maybe win a prize from the big guy (george) !
We kindly ask you to help us to "Tag" new topics so the search engines have an easier way to find and index interesting topics on Thaivisa.

<snip> to the member that produces the biggest number of quality Tags during the month of February 2009.

Hi "Kerryd", :D

Qus.. re the above highlighted new topics so does that mean untagged topics which are not NEW are not included in this? :o

Yours truly,

Kan Win :D

Edited by Kan Win

We kindly ask you to help us to "Tag" new topics so the search engines have an easier way to find and index interesting topics on Thaivisa.

<snip> to the member that produces the biggest number of quality Tags during the month of February 2009.

Hi "Kerryd", :D

Qus.. re the above highlighted new topics so does that mean untagged topics which are not NEW are not included in this? :D

Yours truly,

Kan Win :wai:

:D

You mean I just wasted 8 hours, 41 minutes and 6 seconds, scrolling through old threads and tagging them ? :o

It does apply to new and old topics.

And they have to be quality tags, or they'll just get deleted and won't count ! :D

:D

You mean I just wasted 8 hours, 41 minutes and 6 seconds, scrolling through old threads and tagging them ? :o

It does apply to new and old topics.

And they have to be quality tags, or they'll just get deleted and won't count ! :D

Hmmm.... most be low season in Afghanistan eh?

It applies to new and old topics. Thanks for your help.

Hi George",

Thank you and to you "kerryd" :o

One more qus? if they are tagged already should we bother to tag them? with say quality tags? would that count :D

Yours truly,

Hmmm.... most be low season in Afghanistan eh?

Sure is ! Only one (official) rocket attack this year (so far) !! :D

Less time in the bunker means more time for tagging topics ! :o

I got the PM but I still don't understand what a "Tag" is.

If you look at the top of the page, just above the first post, on the left side, you'll see the "Tag" icon with a little "+" sign in front of it.

Tags are like keywords that search engines can use to help identify topics.

For example, in a thread about the upcoming bike week in Pattaya, Tags like "Burapa" "Bike Week" "Motorcycles" "Pattaya" can help searchers find the topic more easily.

Apparently it is better to use short, one or two word tags, and if need be, use multiple tags. The examples above would be OK, but a tag like

"Burapa Bike Week Motorcycles Pattaya" wouldn't be as good.

On a topic (for instance) like dog breeding in Phuket, you could add multiple tags pertinent to the thread: "Dog" "Breeding" "Pedigree" "Kennel" "Pure breed" "Poodles" "Grooming" and so on, each being it's own "tag".

Here is the link from george's email that explains Tags in better detail: Wikipaedia - Tag (metadata)

Tagging is easy. Just click the "+" icon, and insert 1 or 2 words, then click "Go". Repeat as required.

Avoid things like "And, Or, It, Is, Yes, No, But," or acronyms and abbreviations like "BTW, LoL, AFAIK, IMHO, ASAP" and of course, no naughty words !

• 2 weeks later...
I have added some tags, and they appear with the "-" (minus sign) next to them. But the next time I load the page, I do not see them.

Is there a problem?

I think it is because it is giving you a time limit to cancel the Tag.

A little like editing a post, you have a certain amount of time to change what you have done and in my case apologise later :o

Just a theory, I am in the dark regarding Tags myself.

Moss

I have added some tags, and they appear with the "-" (minus sign) next to them. But the next time I load the page, I do not see them.

Is there a problem?

I think it is because it is giving you a time limit to cancel the Tag.

A little like editing a post, you have a certain amount of time to change what you have done and in my case apologise later :D

Just a theory, I am in the dark regarding Tags myself.

Moss

Hi Mossfinn,

Sorry, but no prize for you this time around :D

It is because :-

Similar Tags

There were no similar tags found

Now you all know :o

Yours truly,

I am not surprised, it was a shot in the dark and I used it as an example to show if it worked, as the minus symbol is still there, this shows also it was an incorrect assumption.

However in this example I have found I can cancel the Tag, can anybody cancel it or just the originator, apart from Mods/Admin that is?

Unfortunately I still didn't understand your explanation.

Moss