Urgent Need For O-negative Blood For Phuket Expat Resident

george

phuketjames, I know you mean well, and thank you for offering to help

however, for privacy and security reasons, Ive removed your phone number and asked members to contact you by PM.

as George mentioned, the request and urgency of it is certainly genuine. The hospital contacted George again this morning, and have provided with the info as posted in the OP.

perhaps your best way to confirm and get more details is by emailing:

Chris at

[email protected]

Someone has already been in contact with me. Thanks.

I am "O" negative but I live in Pattaya. What can I do?

Regards, Thaiger555

RENEWED URGENT REQUEST:

Urgent need for O-Negative blood for Phuket expat resident

One of our members, long-term Phuket resident Paul James, owner of the Expat Hotel in Phuket, is in urgent need of O-negative blood. This blood type is very rare in Thailand, only about 7% of all westerners are type O negative.

Donations of his blood type can be made at Vachira Phuket Hospital, every day between 9am and 3pm. Vachira Phuket is located on Yaowarat Road in Phuket City.

Donors are asked to go to the blood center at Vachira Phuket and state that their donation should be designated specifically for Paul James.

Please note that donation of any other blood type than O negative is not requested at this time.

Thanks in advance for your help!

-- Phuket 2009-02-04

Okay, here is the situation with blood donations outside Phuket. I have just talked to the National Blood Centre in Bangkok and they told me that if a person comes directly to them (Henry Dunant Road every day from 7:30-16:30 with extended hours Tuesday Thursday 7:30-7:30, next to Chulalongkorn Univeristy, 02-263-9600 to 99) and wishes to donate blood for particular person anywhere in Thailand - they will accept it and forward the blood on. In other hospitals you can donate blood, too - but it will go to Blood Centre and will be distributed from there, not sure if you can specify recepient this way.

So those of you in Bangkok or nearby - please visit National Blood Centre today or Tomorrow and donate for Paul. Here are his details again:

Paul James

Treated in Bangkok Phuket International Hospital.

Vachira Phuket Hospital, where Phuket blood bank is held, is aware of Paul's cituation, if people at National Blood Center wish to contact them for future reference, phone numbers are 07636-1234 or 1669

Dear All, Thanks for you concern regarding Paul James. I am the Chris at BBAP and apologise for not responding to emails or this thread faster. I get out of bed late and did not realise this thread was mentioning me as a contact. I regret that I am only a middle man and I am myself confused as to what is happening. One good friend of Paul's says he is at the bedside and does not need blood and another good contact says he has it from two reliable sources that Paul still needs blood. I have no idea where or how people outside Phuket can give blood and would love to see a sensible database, perhaps managed by Thaivisa providing the relative information. On another score Vachira Hospital have many criteria for refusing blood and they incluse the following:

1 You've already given blood in the last 12 weeks (normally, you must wait 16 weeks).

2 You have a chesty cough, sore throat or active cold sore.

3 You're currently taking antibiotics or you have just finished a course within the last seven days or have had any infection in that last two weeks.

4 You've had hepatitis or jaundice in the last 12 months.

5 You've had a tattoo, semi-permanent make up or any cosmetic treatments that involves skin piercing in the last 6 months.

6 You've had acupuncture in the last 6 months, unless this was done by the NHS or a regesitered doctor or nurse.

7 A member of your family (parent, brother, sister or child) has suffered with CJD (Creutzfeld-Jakob Disease).

8 You've ever received human pituitary extract (which was used in some growth hormone or fertility treatments before 1985).

9 You have received blood or think you may have received blood during the course of any medical treatment or procedure anywhere in the world since 1st January 1980.

Can I thank all those who have offered to help. I believe O negative and B negative are even rarer in Asians than it is in Europeans and as we are a minority here it makes these blood types harder to get. I think those with O neg and B neg should regularly give blood to build up reserves so as these last minute panics can be avoided.

Again, thank you all for your concern, but I am only the middle man asked to send out the message to our Members of the British community here in Phuket. I am not a doctor, not a blood centre, and know little or nothing of blood transfusions etc. nor what happens for blood collection outside Phuket.

Thank you,

Chris

RENEWED URGENT REQUEST:

snip

Not a bad idea to be a regular donor anyway, whatever your blood type....I believe exposure to malaria, hepatitis and some other diseases may mean that your blood can not be used for transfusions

I am O Positive,

but my WIFE is O Negative for sure.

Here on Samui of course.

Bangkok Samui Hospital is 20 minutes drive.

I sent [email protected] the email already.

For the record many Lisu hilltribe people are 0 Negative.

Even though they are asians.

So maybe a good place to do a data base.

Edited by animatic

RENEWED URGENT REQUEST:

One of our members, long-term Phuket resident Paul James, owner of the Expat Hotel in Phuket, is in urgent need of O-negative blood. This blood type is very rare in Thailand, only about 7% of all westerners are type O negative.

Donations of his blood type can be made at Vachira Phuket Hospital, every day between 9am and 3pm. Vachira Phuket is located on Yaowarat Road in Phuket City.

Donors are asked to go to the blood center at Vachira Phuket and state that their donation should be designated specifically for Paul James.

Please note that donation of any other blood type than O negative is not requested at this time.

-- Phuket 2009-02-04

I hope everything worksout for Paul.

I wish I could help, I am o- but live in UK.

Goodluck in your search

RENEWED URGENT REQUEST:

Hi George,

I'm O- and live in Issan. No doubt I'm too late or too far away (and was too far away from my computer today, dammit). But if you're starting/updating a DB, please feel free to list me. I reckon that I'm actually eligible to donate despite heart surgery - new procedure (back then), so lost very little blood; everything else is clean. I'm 58, so it's good to know that I can build up a 'reserve' for meself.

Best wishes to Paul, praying for a speedy and complete recovery.

I believe O negative and B negative are even rarer in Asians than it is in Europeans and as we are a minority here it makes these blood types harder to get. I think those with O neg and B neg should regularly give blood to build up reserves so as these last minute panics can be avoided.

Also, O negative is the universal blood donor type. This means that people with type O negative blood can donate to people of any other blood type (there are exceptions to this; see the link provided), and so their blood is especially valuable for the purposes of blood transfusion.

Related news:

Phuket Red Cross is upgraded to be a comprehensive blood donation centre for the south of Thailand with all facilities scheduled to be completed by next year.

The new building of the Region 12 Red Cross office is located near Saphan Hin area. It is funded by the Finnish Red Cross with 194 million baht for an office and blood technical lab. During a meeting to prepare the facility as blood donation centre for six Andaman coastal provinces, chaired by Phuket Governor Preecha Ruangjan, the meeting discussed that it will be a comprehensive centre, comprising equipment and personnel, same as facilities in Bangkok. The centre is also expected to function as a training centre for personnel like nurses or those who are doing blood tests, and blood provision. It can also be a centre for rare blood groups reserves and screening blood donors. This will also rectify the problem of lack of funds or manpower for blood services or coordinating with overseas. As for this fiscal year of 2009, tools and equipment from Finnish Red Cross will be installed while 9 nurses are at hand and now under proper training. Mobile unit for blood donations and distribution to Andaman provinces will also be at hand. The project is due to complete in 2009.

item---6--- on http://thainews.prd.go.th/newsenglish/prev...php?news_id=949

or

---

RENEWED URGENT REQUEST:

-- Phuket 2009-02-04

Hi, my name is Patrick from Pattaya, I have o- bloodtype, how can I help??? My e-mail address is [email protected]

I'm Chris from BBAP, Phuket, one of the contact points in this thread. I'm pleased to report that Paul James had a successful operation yesterday and it is believed he will fully recover and be out of hospital in a few days. We do not think he will be needing any more blood for himself. Can I take this opportunity to thank all those who responded so magnificently and magnanimously and helped bring this to a happy conclusion. For those who so kindly donated and their blood was not needed by Paul, I notice that there has been a new appeal on another thread for someone in ChangMai and it is already in demand.

Thank you everyone.

Dear all,

sorry for belated response. I have recieved the news on 7th of Feb. We are Thai Blood Database, 6 volunteers from a Thai website. We are now collecting the blood database.You can send your Email with your Blood type to us. If you need any helps, please feel free to contact via PM.

By the way, please give me more information about the patient in Chiangmai, maybe the hospital's name.

Thank you all.

TBD

RENEWED URGENT REQUEST:

-- Phuket 2009-02-04

hi, is the blood still needed. I am O negative. Only problem is I am in Chiang Mai. could i donate here , could the blood be transported?