Traffic Police Scams: How To Talk Ur Way Out!?

oz457

I had a scary experience in Bang na.

Road coned off and waved to the side where the policeman started to write me a ticket saying the dealer supplied tinting on my windows were too dark and that the fine would be 8,000 baht!

If I gave him 1000 there and then he would not write me up! I started to argue when he was joined by another policeman who spoke excellent English and asked me if I wanted them to search my car saying they might find some Yabba there

So it was either pay the arsehol_e 1000 or risk having somethiing planted by them and then found and jail big time for me.

The entire incident left a very nasty taste in my mouth.

I think you were lucky this time and wouldnt be trying it again...to get away with not forking out when a thai person (especially police) believes you are in debt is near on impossible if not unbelievable in my opinion. To relent could see you in serious shit.

Have you not seen all the crazy stuff in the press lately?? If this guy wanted to get you, believe me he could have stitched you up like a cheap bean bag, in any number of ways, if you had made the slightest argument or messed around with the wrong guy.

I dont think you astounded him with your cleverness, and i very much doubt he was scared or threatened by whatever toys you have in your car.He probably didnt even know what it was OR what you were on about.

I can relate to the copper, in thai he was probably thinking "what is this fool on about?,bugger the tea money, its not worth humouring this poor silly fool"

I've been stopped a few times in the last 4 years. I usually speed, so I know why the MiB are waving down. I always smile and remain polite. Last time a couple of months ago. The MiB was pointing at the 100kph line on the speedometer and telling me not to drive at 140. I thanked him smiled again, and gave him 100. He asked for 200, but I said no no that's enough. And he waved me good bye.

Also I never give my driving license, always say I left it at home. I don't want them to keep it, so once I got a 400 fine for driving without the license but they did not cumulate the speeding offence.

When I started driving in Thailand, I had no clue about not driving at night with red plate (a tea money rule if there ever was one). So every week I got stopped on the motorway arround bkk just after tolls. One cop after talking for a few minutes (with me not having a clue what he was talking about) he left his glove on the door. So I took the glove, put a 100 bill inside, and gave it back to him. Then I could go...

It helps to keep any type of military ID visible in your wallet along with the pictures. BTW, I keep my wallet empty

Oh, Hi! I think we met in a bar in Pattaya.

Are you ex SAS, or CIA?

Nice to catch up again. I tried calling you at the base, but the number you gave me seems to have stopped working :o

It helps to keep any type of military ID visible in your wallet along with the pictures. BTW, I keep my wallet empty

Are you ex SAS, or CIA?

Nice to catch up again. I tried calling you at the base, but the number you gave me seems to have stopped working :o

13 days to come up with that witty retort. And FWIW, my CAC has a big old "Army Contractor" on it. I've met few Thais who would know what that would mean, so to them it's just a militray id card. And I doubt we met in a Pattaya bar, but since you seem to know the particulars, how's living out your fantasy going for you?

Are you ex SAS, or CIA?

And just when I thought today would be dull. Thanks for the laugh.