Big Bike Parking In Cm A Hustle?

Orita

I'm thinking of getting a big bike in CM, but parking in the city seems a major hustle.

I will be visiting, Central Airport, Nimanhemin and Kadsuankeaw areas regularly, but would not enjoy having to squeeze a large bike between all the scooters and pull it out again a few times a day.

How are owners of big bikes are doing it? Any secrets or tips? Are big bikers perhaps using a little scooter for the city?

Any input would be appreciated.

I have a big chopper.

Have a Honda Phantom 200cc. Never have any problems parking. The width is about the same as a small bike, it’s the length that can cause problems, just like all big choppers.

Generally travel all over the town on my big bike, no parking problems whatsoever. Slides in and slides out, just like a small one.

If you haven't bought your BIG BIKE yet, maybe it would help with parking if you got one the same lenght and width as the smaller scooters and just got one much higher to make it a big Bike. but be sure and wear your helmet when going into the parking garages. Good Luck.

Buford Puser

Edited by Gonzo the Face

I have a big chopper.

Have a Honda Phantom 200cc. Never have any problems parking. The width is about the same as a small bike, it’s the length that can cause problems, just like all big choppers.

Generally travel all over the town on my big bike, no parking problems whatsoever. Slides in and slides out, just like a small one.

Somebody has delusions of grandeur if they think that a Phantom is a big bike, LOL...

I have a big chopper.

Have a Honda Phantom 200cc. Never have any problems parking. The width is about the same as a small bike, it's the length that can cause problems, just like all big choppers.

Somebody has delusions of grandeur if they think that a Phantom is a big bike, LOL...

It is the size of the bike, not the size of the motor.

Blinky Bill gave the best answer. Learn about the traffic in Chiang Mai and work around that. They block steets in Chiang Mai on the weekends for street markets, and parking anywhere is difficult... in anything. Stay away from the core area during festivals, or park outside the congested areas and walk in. Walking is usually faster anywhere there is congestion.

I have a JRD Tornado that is anything but a big bike... except in size. It takes up almost the same room as a 1000 cc Harley. I have no problem parking it if I pick my places and the time I visit.

I have a big chopper.

We know what Sass is TH. :o No point in making any comment. Is there?

Oh yes there is. My 17 year old daughter rides a Phantom and she says it's too small and wants the keys to the old ZZR.

SMALL NOISE LITTLE BOISE.

Edited by Blinky Bill

I'm thinking of getting a big bike in CM, but parking in the city seems a major hustle.

I will be visiting, Central Airport, Nimanhemin and Kadsuankeaw areas regularly, but would not enjoy having to squeeze a large bike between all the scooters and pull it out again a few times a day.

How are owners of big bikes are doing it? Any secrets or tips? Are big bikers perhaps using a little scooter for the city?

Any input would be appreciated.

I own a large expensive Chopper and you are right sometimes it can be difficult to park in a safe place where someone is not going to ding you however I NEVER park where the scooters park if I head to Airport Plaza or central I always park in the car parking area rather than the bike area, sometimes the security has a problem since I am a Motorcycle however he can see my bike costs more than most cars in there and allows me to park there after crossing his palm with some baht.

I now have some regular parking spots which are safe if I am out on the town some are friends bars that have special parking and others are secret spots that I cant let you know otherwise when i get there your bike will be in my spot :o however I am sure you, like me will find suitable spots to park.

The real posers park there choppers at the top of Loi Kro on the pavement

Edited by FarangCravings

They are not posers. They are just people parking in front of the bars they frequent. Whoever rides a chopper just to show off is the REAL poser. A motorbike should just suit the needs and pocketbook of the rider. A crotch rocket is hardly practical in Thailand, but who cares? If the owner likes it then that is all that matters.

They are not posers. They are just people parking in front of the bars they frequent. Whoever rides a chopper just to show off is the REAL poser. A motorbike should just suit the needs and pocketbook of the rider. A crotch rocket is hardly practical in Thailand, but who cares? If the owner likes it then that is all that matters.

I frequent the same Bars but don't park my bike there but if I wanted to show it off that is the place to park either way your right about one thing if the owner likes it that's all that matters.

Edited by FarangCravings

I have a big chopper.

Have a Honda Phantom 200cc.

let's face it, Honda Phantoms are bikes for guys who want a chopper, but haven't got big enough balls (or wallets) to get a real chopper!

Horrid bikes.

As for parking being a hustle... Once I parked my bike at Airport plaza, went inside, lost the parking card, came back out and was made by the parking attendant to pay 100 Baht. I was sure it was a hustle, but I paid it anyway.

:o

I have a big chopper.

Have a Honda Phantom 200cc.

let's face it, Honda Phantoms are bikes for guys who want a chopper, but haven't got big enough balls (or wallets) to get a real chopper!

Horrid bikes.

As for parking being a hustle... Once I parked my bike at Airport plaza, went inside, lost the parking card, came back out and was made by the parking attendant to pay 100 Baht. I was sure it was a hustle, but I paid it anyway.

:o

Are you sure it was your bike and not took someone elses?

Great idea, just nick a motorbike of your choice, pay 100 baht and drive it home.

That`s a real bargain.

I really think that having a big chopper in Chiang Mai is no problem at all. With a very small amount of effort it is possible to find many and varied parking spaces - the older spaces in particular tend to have plenty of space for big choppers. The important thing is to ease it in gently, always wear a helmet and be careful when withdrawing.

The other thing that you should think about is noise: big choppers really can create a lot of noise, and not everyone wants to listen. Why is it that people with big choppers think that everyone else wants to listen to them?

Enjoy...

I have a big chopper.

Have a Honda Phantom 200cc. Never have any problems parking. The width is about the same as a small bike, it's the length that can cause problems, just like all big choppers.

This is too funny.

My Vespa is a 200cc. So I must have a "Vespa Chopper".

Free big bike parking at my house...but it will cost you. Just a note about those Big Chopper Phantoms. Everyone that goes by sounds like the engine or transmission is about to explode. Are these "manufactured" here?

Edited by bunta71

[quote name=

The other thing that you should think about is noise: big choppers really can create a lot of noise, and not everyone wants to listen. Why is it that people with big choppers think that everyone else wants to listen to them?

Enjoy...

Not sure what you drive Jim but you may of noticed that nobody takes a blind bit of notice of you they pull out in front of you cut in front of you, turn without looking and generally don't even see you or even attempt to look before they pull out.

I assure you they see me/hear me coming and they actually LOOK before they make there next move, I for one am well happy with the noise my bike makes its very clear day after day that its safer to have loud pipes.

LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

I used to rid big bikes in Bangkok, which some might say would be even more problematic parking. From Honda 954's, Yam R1s, and XJR 1300's plus a bunch of others. The bigger the bike, the more hassles with weaving in and out of traffic, but parking was never an issue.

Slip down most sois and they'll be a place to park, or better still, ride into a condo car park as if you're going to visit someone. Most saluting guards don't say anything and will point you to visitors parking. If they do ask too much, just slip them a few Baht and say, 'Take care na?" as you point to your big bike.

Restaurant parking, apartment & condo parking, hospital parking, department store parking, sois and sub sois. The list is endless, meaning you should be able to find a secure, un-cramped place for your chopper without any hassles no matter where you go. Like another poster said, just seek out a few parking places for areas you frequent.

Aitch

For anyone who has spent more than 2 hours around Thailand cities, the noise is the least of your worries. Your senses are being attacked from all directions: scent, sound and sight. LOUD noises are just one of them. What with the constant barking of dogs, those slow moving trucks with loud speakers advertising something, temples or schools using HUGE loud speakers to blare out off key sounds a daybreak, and Kareoke bars that blare away all night until the wee hours of the morning, the occasional chopper and its un-muffled roar is hardly a bother.

:o:D:D

Are you sure it was your bike and not took someone elses?

Great idea, just nick a motorbike of your choice, pay 100 baht and drive it home.

That`s a real bargain.

Actually, they write down your passport number, the bike information, etc. At least they did when I lost my card. Maybe enough information to find me, maybe not.. But, what would seem to work much better is to pocket your card. Tell the parking attendant you lost it. Pay the 100 baht to take your OWN motorbike out. Then, some time later, comeback with the card in hand. "Nick" a motorbike of your choice and drive it right on out, no questions asked (because you have a card).

-Mestizo