Planned Return

Hello,

My last visit to thailand was back in 2003. I fell in love with the country and enjoyed every aspect of the diverse culture unfortuneatly i became very complacent with my passport and the way in which i aquired my visas. Taking up the openly avertised visa services on khao san road resulted in my detention for three months. The case was eventually dropped and i was sent back to the UK. I later found out that the case had been re-opened. I was told that if i did not return to thailand to face trial then there would be a warrant of arrest open in my name for 5 - 10 years. I know this was a big problem for stupid, complacent backpackers like myself and new of more individuals in the same situation at that time. Anyway, nearly six years on and i still cant get the place out of my head and would love to return.

On monday (9.02.09) i will apply for a tourist visa at my local consulate and have read that a successful visa application prior to the attempted entry into thailand is in affect a pre-sreening and should therefore ensure my entry into the kingdom. I have tried to contact other authorities over the years with little success on quality advice.

I would appreciate any advice on this matter.

Thanks.

P.s not that it should matter, however i will be entering Thailand via the cambodian land crossing and my visa application will be made in the UK.

Based on the facts as stated by the OP and a good measure of caution, I would try to ascertain whether or not there was an active ongoing case and/or warrant out for you. The Thailand embassy in the UK may be able to help. Having spent three months in Thai detention (jail), why do you wish to expose yourself to another dose of the same. If you are lucky, immigration at the border could just deny you entry if indeed there is an active ongoing case against you.

Edited by InterestedObserver

If you are going to a Honorary conuslate they may be open on Monday but the Emabssy will be clsoed for a Thai holiday.

If you want to have more confidence that you are not going to have a problem you could try and get a police clearence.

The following webpage is for the center where people get these for visas. Link: http://pcscenter.sb.police.go.th/eprint.html

Another suggestion would be to contact a law firm here and see if they can help you find out by checking with their contacts with the police. Perhaps Sunbelt who is sponser of this forum.

Good Luck

............have read that a successful visa application prior to the attempted entry into thailand is in

effect a pre-sreening and should therefore ensure my entry into the kingdom.

This is not true.

The consulates do not have full access to the necessary information.

An old friend of mine was blacklisted.

He applied for a visa in Australia and received it,

but was turned back by immigration at the airport in Bangkok.

In your case the consequences could be much more severe.

Unless you can get a lawyer to investigate and confirm that the case is dropped

I suggest you give Thailand a miss.