Ssr Epic Ride I

Bard

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations Bard! :o

I was hoping to join you guys today but am still trying to get caught up with work and deal with some other 'issues'. Understand you had some rain too- that always slows things down. If you're hitting the track this weekend I'd love to join you!

Can you ask Graham if he has any Pirelli Diablo Corsa III's that'll fit my ER-6? I know he stocks 180 rears but I think it'll be a very tight fit with the stock exhaust. Not sure the Corsa III's are made in a 160 rear... I'm running Dunlop Sportmax 160 rear now. I think the Pirellis will have much better grip. The new Two Bros will arrive next week and give a lot more clearance, so maybe I should just wait until then for new tires.

Good discussion about the merits and pitfalls of riding in groups.

That's why I'm always quite nervous about riding with new people. Case in point that dude who joined us on the orange ER-6n on day one of the SSR Epic Ride- perfect example of the kind of guy you do not want to ride with. His passing 'technique' was downright reckless. But all's well that ends well though and I hope no hard feelings.

On the flip side- when you're riding with friends you know and trust, riding in a tight group can be an absolute blast.

Coming into Mae Hong Song on that BRILLIANT race track of a road with Trent and Peter in tight formation was awesome fun. Man that would have been awesome on video. I know neither of those guys will do anything dangerous or unpredictable so feel quite comfortable riding in tight formation with them. Same on a track- as long as everyone knows and respects the rules there should be no drama.

Happy Trails!

Tony

Believe it or not, that new mount they sent me is what blew off, along with the retaining strap and camera!

The crappy mk1 mount which wasn't as rigid i never had a problem with! That said I used a ton of gaffer tap as well on that.

I don't think they design these mounts with high-speed riding (beyond 140 kph) in mind.

To get ultra-stable mounts you'd have to bolt it to the helmet I reckon, or use a tank mount.

To get ultra-stable mounts you'd have to bolt it to the helmet I reckon, or use a tank mount.

Hey Jim- did you get a chance to see any of the video Bard took with his tank mounted camera? Amazing quality and almost no vibration. Personally I find helmet cam video too bouncy and jerky... I'm looking forward to seeing Bard's video when he gets it uploaded to youtube and am hoping to get a similar set up on my bike soon.

Cheers!

Tony

Hello

All good stuff video, condition of the roads riding technique and field testing the equipment hopefully everyone who reads this will take something usefull with them.

Cheers

HH

Yes, the Bardster and co taught me to continue tracking around the corner, otherwise target-lock / can mean riding over the edge.

But this is one reason I prefer to be the lone rider. No worries about the others buzzing about near me. Bummer if you tumble-down though :D

Ok Part III now uploaded!

The helmet cam blew off at highspeed a few days later. All my touring data for the last leg to Chiang Mai and around the city moat, lost forever.

I was not able to recover it. The first I knew of it missing was pulling into the petrol station for a fuel stop. :o

If any of you riders out there are travelling on Highway 1 between Lampang and Khampaeng Pet. If you see a black, square-shaped object with elastic material around it, that's my helmet cam! :D

Until I can get another one sent into Thailand there will be only the Isaan Oddessey chapter to publish and then no more!

Bard, your tank cam is our eyes and ears now! :D

Hi all, Thanks for the grats on the knee appreciate it...

Today I witnessed Trent's virgin knee hit the tarmac and he was in heaven after that, will post his evidence after.

Diablo 180's for the ER6n what is the rim size? They are standard fit on the FZ6 so that is cool but not sure about the rim size of the ER6n... He can get 160 supercorsa for you as well. Give him a call and check it out, he is very helpful fitting up with better tires. The Diablo III on the FZ6 is amazing, so much better grip WOW...

At Bira I tested out a RAM mount to the frame slider on the camera, low to the ground and vibration free and really cool vid, have to work on it to get it together and post though...

Tight formation on the roads are in general not safe, I followed a "predictable" rider I knew and trusted who did the unpredictable. I would be better off now though as I have burned in track time with that in mind and got rid off the lazy eye, must admit the track time has done wonders on both me and Trent, far safer riders now. Everything feels slow on the road now to be honest which is cool, now I can bank from "unpredictable" situations in speeds where I would be in trouble before as I rode like any street rider which is not as safe as a more track minded way. Got it demonstrated on the road to Bira today when I pickup tried his best to wipe me out by turning as fast as he could into my lane when I was right there in far higher speed, bank and bank done just pissed off with the cun_t and kicked in his mirror... No stress no raised hart rate or anything, just reacted correctly from peripheral view, great feeling. And you're right Travelmate, the tracktime and added skills should not be pushed on the road after, it is there when I need it, not to be pushed to that limit on the road where God knows what happens all the time.

All I want to do now is track track and more track I am obsessed with the thrill :o

Cheers Bard

Indeed, the SSR madness continues...

Bard, I notice has a new jacket to replace the one he went roadskiing with! :o

Speedy corner on that one?

Doi Inthanon, well met, yet to go there.

Along with some manhood tests, led by the Trentster! I won't ask who won!

I've clicked on those links! Trent! You are off the scale man! The exhibitionist of TV, or at least the biking section. Big gonks at dawn!

Who was taking the pictures? Tony?!! Or I bet it was Peter, the cheeky rascal! :D

There's me in Khampaeng Pet covering the Motocross while the boys are at full steam ahead! Groove on! Pai sounds

Yes, the next step is the tank mount camera for the CBR. Will do once I get a work contract sorted out. :D

Edited by JimsKnight

SSR Epic Ride Day 5 (I think) :D

Leaving Chiang Mai:

LeavingCNX1.jpg

Today's route: Chiang Mai to Doi Inthanon to Mae Chaem to Khun Yuam to Mae Hong Song-

CNXInthanonKYMHS.jpg

Brilliant brilliant roads- a bit rough in spots between Mae Chaem and Khun Yuam and air quality was marginal, but still wicked fun! Would love to go back and ride all of these roads in cooler weather and clear air. Happy Trails! Tony :o

I finally got some time at hand and here is Trent's Evidence from knee down...

3366585493_b36a1680ed_o.jpg

the Board

3366585497_68a497b750_o.jpg

Here a practice of race start during some wet condition.

3366585503_c1b642da29_o.jpg

Here is a VDO clip from our journey, I screwed up by compressing it forst to MP4 so Youtube compressed again and the quality suffers a lot due to that, have to do it again later on. Anyways you can see handheld, tank mount and RAM Mount on the frame slider configurations with the camera. Works great that thing. My favorite now is RAM mount.

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

Here is a link if you want to view it larger I guess...

Cheers Bard

Good vid bardster!

What was with the village groove? Was it Hilltribe danceweek or something? :o

Cool parts of the clip, 1.15 the end on the track 3.51 who was the dude pulling the wheelies?

Of course, trent laughing like a maniac whose about to take over the world might explain that one! :D

Like wild wolves we rode...

Since the links now show file not found I am unsure what it portrayed so I have just deleted the entire post. Its a pity the photos are off but the price we pay for breaking the rules.

Let me make one thing very clear here, links to objectionable photos, links showing members personal details or anything like that will find the poster suspended. I hope this is clear and does not need to be made again.

***Edit*** Since I am now clear on what the links contained, the post remains deleted. I suggest to everyone that reading the forum rules again before posting is probably the best course of action to take.

The hilltribe was celebrating New Year... Awesome party where we had a lot of fun. It was Jimmy who pulled the wheelie, he does that all the time, since he is a stunt rider instructor it is to no surprise really, a legend on wheels he is...

Cheers Bard

Great vid Bard! Understand the double compression issue and hopefully your other vids will be even better! So- when are we gonna make some more camera mounts? I can't wait to slap one on my ER6! See you this weekend.

Happy Trails! Tony