Reflections On Angeles City

MeetJohnDoe

Discussion of prostitution has been removed from a few posts as per our Forum Rules. Thank you MeetJohnDoe for being discreet. Yes prostitution is a fact of life in the PI as well as in Thailand and virtually every country in the world. If you want to discuss the specifics such as bar fines, all night versus short time, and so on, there are plenty of other websites out there that welcome that sort of discussion. Any other posts in this thread containing sex trade specifics will be deleted entirely. Thanks for your cooperation. :o

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I stayed at Orchid Inn, which was 2750 Pesos a night, or about 2050 Baht.

Today's internet published rates for the Orchid Inn are 1,600 Pesos for a standard room, up to 3,000 Pesos for a large family room. Not bad value.

Correct - The full room tariff is as follows:

Standard Room 1,600 Pesos

Superior Deluxe Room 2,750 Pesos

Family Superior Deluxe Room 3,000 Pesos

I had the Superior Deluxe Room as I was told by someone who stayed there in the past that the "Standard" rooms did not have an outside window or any window at all.

I stayed at Orchid Inn, which was 2750 Pesos a night, or about 2050 Baht.

Today's internet published rates for the Orchid Inn are 1,600 Pesos for a standard room, up to 3,000 Pesos for a large family room. Not bad value.

Correct - The full room tariff is as follows:

Standard Room 1,600 Pesos

Superior Deluxe Room 2,750 Pesos

Family Superior Deluxe Room 3,000 Pesos

I had the Superior Deluxe Room as I was told by someone who stayed there in the past that the "Standard" rooms did not have an outside window or any window at all.

I stayed in an Orchid Inn standard on my first visit to AC, it was like an internal wooden cabin, built on a balcony above the bar/restaurant. You can do a lot better elsewhere.

Taking off the "Rose Coloured Specs" used for the original post - AC (fields avenue) is a dump, a dirty dusty stretch of bars with decent nightlife but nothing to do during the day. Since SM opened there is at least the mall to visit, but not much else. Over the past few months there seem to be many more beggars hassling on the street, and these are not pleasant people.

Having said that I find the Philippine people very pleasant and a lot more approachable than Thai people, perhaps because good English is widely spoken.

You will either love it or hate it, I have met people who brought forward their return flights to Thailand just to escape. For me a week is too long in AC, I need to get away, a few days in Subic makes a good break.

Booze is very cheap over here, 700ml of Gordons Gin costs about 120 PHP in a supermarket, less than 100 Baht, I seem to remember that a bottle of local rum costs less than a bottle of coke, and if you fancy a happy afternoon, just sit down in Margarita Station and drink a few jam jars of Long Island Ice tea, two should do it!!

Note: that you need a ticket out of the country when you enter, do not try to fly in on a single and book your return when you get here, Cebu Pacific will not let you board the flight.

There are no ATM's on Fields avenue, the best place is SM shopping mall, there may be one at the airport, I forget. However money changers on Fields Avenue are open late, US Dollars are most likely the best backup currency to bring.

Edited by davee58

re the visa renewal, would you please be able to tell me how much each extension is, is there a limit on the number of renewals and is it able to be done in Angeles?

Is there a better visa for staying a year or more?

Would I be able to live there for about the same cost as in Pattaya ( not including "entertainment")?

I have tried to find the answers on the 'net, but none of the websites I have found give very clear information.

Thanks for any info given.

The first renewal is P3,010. Subsequent renewals are more expensive but they can be done right at AC, no need to exit the country. Here is a link to PI Immigration http://immigration.gov.ph//index.php?optio...8&Itemid=43

Spending is subjective, one guy thinks AC is cheaper than Pattaya, the next insists that Pattaya is the better deal (and flame the hel_l out of any one daring to disagree, LOL!)

FYI, when I have a question, I simply "Google" the question and I've gotten some great info that way.

Good luck :o

To you and Maxjay, thanks for the replies

I have just a few final thoughts and observations now that I have been back home for a couple days and had time to think about it some more.

A couple of replies have knocked Angeles City pretty hard for one reason or another. I don't think anyone ever said it was in any way scenic (at least the outside views), and most would agree that there is a dearth of daytime activities. The in-your-face poverty you will find is disturbing to some...a fact of life in most of the world for others. A look at Google Earth will quickly show there is no beach nearby, if that is what you're looking for, and the fact that the entertainment district is basically what's left of the R&R district of a now closed US military airbase should tell most all they need to know about what the main activity for visitors is...that would be drinking cheap beer and rum/Cokes of course :o

All that being said, for many people, it is a great place to relax and spend some time unwinding watching the world go by. It is a place you will either love or hate...there is not much in between. However, by the numbers, it seems that many more people are falling in love than out as of late. I can remember a period about 5 years ago when a number of bars and restaurants were closing and nothing much was happening on the base and it seemed like the entertainment district was going to just schrivile up and die. But, Phoenix like, it has sprung back bigger and better than ever, with new hotels, restaurants, and some flash clubs the likes of which you will not find in Thailand or Manila (Golden Nile, Atlantis, even the Dollhouse). Maybe another sign of the times is that our own Tequila Reef Mexican Cantina is opening a branch in Angeles City in a few months time.

I wanted to add a few additional comments about Diosdado Macapagal International Airport, the official name for the airport at the former Clark Airbase that serves Angeles City. It is a real joy if one can use this airport when flying to Angeles/Subic/ or northern Luzon province as it is small, clean, and efficient...the exact opposite of the old international terminal in Manila (if flying PAL you will use their new terminal and I have not used the new, finally opened after sitting in the sun for 5 years, international terminal 3 at Manila Airport). As well as service to/from Bangkok, there is also daily service to Singapore and Seoul; in addition, there are flights to Kuala Lumpur, Kota Kinabalu, Guanzhou, Macau, Cebu, and Boracay. Not having to fight one's way through the Manila traffic on arrival and departure almost makes a trip to A/C seem too easy. Being a small airport with only a few flights daily, one can arrive later for flight departures...with 1 hour before departure being plenty of time for international flights. Be aware that a departure fees of P600 is collected at the terminal and are not included in the price of your ticket.

Some additional notes on the hotels, most of the newer hotels have fast broad-band (Ethernet) connections in the room included in the room rates, with free wi-fi in most pool/restaurant areas as well. These speeds are about 500 kB/s or about twice what I get in Pattaya on my cable broadband connection. One hotel, the Angeles City Beach Club Hotel has a pool with a wave machine and small artificial beach at one end...something I don't think we have in Pattaya yet.

For late owls in Angeles, most clubs close between 3 and 5 a.m., and at least one, Dollhouse, is open 24 hours. The smaller clubs open in the early afternoon, with the larger ones open around 7 p.m. There are also several restaurants that are open 24 hours, in addition to the Jollibees and McDonald's that are now to be found right on Fields Avenue. As an aside, most all the clubs have their own affiliated restaurants or will order in any food you would like and one, Atlantis, has a sushi bar onsite (you know what market they are aiming for).

You know a town is hitting its stride (or sometimes the skids) when the real estates developers show-up in a big way. This has happened in Angeles over the past couple years, with several high-profile condo, townhouse, and housing estate projects being built. They have their models and sales pitchmen at the mall and handing out flyer's on Fields Avenue, something that you never saw before. In the old days, if you wanted to rent something longterm, you just asked around or checked the notice board at Margarita Ville (I refuse to call it Margarita Station...so take that, Jimmy Buffet!). Angeles' first high-rise condo, being build in the heart of the entertainment district, will be the new Lexus building.

To counter the complaint that there is nothing to do in the afternoons except drink and play-around (and that's why most come to Angeles anyway), I found that there are the following things to do: There are 2 gun ranges in town; tennis courts at the Greenfields Country Club; a go-kart track, lawn bowls at the Angeles Sports Club, 2 badminton centers; a bowling alley (Mac Arthur Ave. - not at the mall); and 6 golf courses in and around Angeles.

So that about wraps it up for me for this report. As mentioned before, Angeles is not for everyone but for many others, there is a pull to the place that makes them want to come back again and again.

Edited by MeetJohnDoe

Nice report. I guess a lot has changed in Angles since my last trip there in 1985. Then it was a real shit hole although the girls were nice.

I rented a house there in 1985 with a Canadian friend ( now deceased through excess ) and yep, it was a <deleted> hole....but....just after Aquino was shot and the Peso dived you could get 16 ( yes sixteen ) bottles of San Miguel for a pound ( in a bar ) and have a double ' takeaway ' from Ayers Rock for 300 peseos. Talk about dissipation.....phew. !! Drinking water was a luxury. Mind you I got robbed ( whilst paraletic ) so many times I had to stash most of my valuables in the Kangaroo Club in Manila. As for the food....grim...but luckily the olives in my cocktails held it all together. :o

Another excellent report JD.

BTW someone said there are no ATM machines on Fields Avenue - well tell that to my wallet and the bars, as I frequently used one located outside Voodoo Bar, Fields Avenue, which incidentally, JD is also open 24/7 as were one or two others. :o

I spent a week and a half in Angeles City last February (as a female, visiting my sexpat friend), and though the novelty of being dragged around to the bars and korean restaurants was fun for a couple of days, in the end I have to say that most of the people there are totally pathetic- lonely alcoholics and their young desperate female counterparts, and the city is a dump! I even got robbed twice in a day! It is a huge brothel, and nothing else- worse than Pattaya! If you seriously think you can dredge up much real culture or inspiration there, go for it. But come on... sex for sale exists all over the world, why waste your life in this place? It's a fun place to visit, I will give you that, but moving there, making a life there? Get real! ... My two cents.

Brave post, girlx :o Even the best descriptions here don't exactly make one want to rush off to AC. And reading girlx's post it sounds like a place to avoid even if you're a sex tourist (especially if you're a sex tourist who also happens to appreciate good food and reasonable assurance you won't get robbed :D )

Surely there must be spots in the PI with more variety, ie, a combination of beaches, good cuisine and nightlife?

Another excellent report JD.

BTW someone said there are no ATM machines on Fields Avenue - well tell that to my wallet and the bars, as I frequently used one located outside Voodoo Bar, Fields Avenue, which incidentally, JD is also open 24/7 as were one or two others. :D

Sorry, I did not realise that ATM has reopened now, It got closed down a while ago, and was previously often out of cash. I now always use SM when I am in Angeles.

ATM's in the Philippines will often not accept Visa cards, just Mastercard.

One of the differences between ATM's in Thailand and the Philippines is that thet tend to have a lower maximum withdrawal limit in the Philippines.

The Chinabank in SM Clark 2-3 years ago has been a godsend, several years ago there was often a long queue outside the Equitable Bank ATM on McArthur Highway where I had to take out several withdrawals of 4,000 peso per time. Not good if your account has a minimum charge per ATM withdrawal. On one occasion just before Easter I waited over one hour to use the ATM..

Girlx, I know I said to take off the rose coloured specs, but perhaps you hung around with the wrong people when you were visiting ("totally pathetic- lonely alcoholics").

- - Robbed twice in one day, yikes, what were you doing :o

- - Perhaps you need to find new friends :D .

Edited by davee58

Sorry, I did not realise that ATM has reopened now, It got closed down a while ago, and was previously often out of cash. I now always use SM when I am in Angeles.

ATM's in the Philippines will often not accept Visa cards, just Mastercard.

One of the differences between ATM's in Thailand and the Philippines is that thet tend to have a lower maximum withdrawal limit in the Philippines.

The Chinabank in SM Clark 2-3 years ago has been a godsend, several years ago there was often a long queue outside the Equitable Bank ATM on McArthur Highway where I had to take out several withdrawals of 4,000 peso per time. Not good if your account has a minimum charge per ATM withdrawal. On one occasion just before Easter I waited over one hour to use the ATM..

Girlx, I know I said to take off the rose coloured specs, but perhaps you hung around with the wrong people when you were visiting ("totally pathetic- lonely alcoholics").

- - Robbed twice in one day, yikes, what were you doing :o

- - Perhaps you need to find new friends :D .

I can't remember what card I used, it was either Visa or Amex, I don't have Mastercard.

I can't imagine why a girl (other than "working" girls) would want to go to AC. There's nothing there for them unless they are interested in women.

It's strictly a male thing and it doesn't surprise me in the least that a female would not appreciate the fun side of things.

I went with 3 good friends, and I haven't laughed and had so much fun in a very long time. The bars are great, music good, and everyone is friendly. You can actually hear yourself speak in most bars, and they don't employ Neanderthal D.J's who just play mind numbing tuneless crap all night. (per Pattaya)

No fights, no nastiness, no price gauging etc etc.

Show me a bar anywhere in the world, and I'll show you a "lonely pathetic alcoholic". :D (me for starters) :D

It is a huge brothel, and nothing else - worse than Pattaya! If you seriously think you can dredge up much real culture or inspiration there, go for it. But come on... sex for sale exists all over the world, why waste your life in this place? It's a fun place to visit, I will give you that, but moving there, making a life there?

Shush...per the Forum rules, we're keeping that a secret...and discussing the restaurant and shopping highlights around town :D

As I said, I live in Pattaya but like to visit A/C. :o

There is no god...so don't worry and enjoy your life.

Edited by MeetJohnDoe

BTW someone said there are no ATM machines on Fields Avenue - well tell that to my wallet and the bars, as I frequently used one located outside Voodoo Bar [at Kokomos Restaurant]

Yes, that one is on Fields. The best ones for me (using an international ATM card) are the Banko de Oro ATMs at the SM Mall. There are some just inside the main entrance at the bank branch and several free-standing machines within the mall. I had no trouble with these and was able to take out P 10,000 per transaction {never tried for more so maximum could be even higher}.

As for Girlx...sorry to hear about you being robbed...maybe foreign women are looked on as easy marks. I, and many friends, have been going for years and no ones been robbed once. But completely agree that the town is geared towards single male travelers and women travelers would find little on interest there.

For a little nitelife, great tropical island atmosphere, and SCUBA, I would recommend Puerta Gallera or Boracay (Alona Beach)...many Pinoys and foreign dive instructors in each and a female single traveler might have quite a nice time in either place

Edited by MeetJohnDoe

What I like with AC is that the girls are more fun than in Pattaya - not only laughing and joking at work, but including you in their group. I find you rarely get that (in the gogos) in Thailand.

This is absolutely spot on, and that has to go with all the bargirls in Thailand compared to Angeles.

The Filipinas just overall have better attitudes.

Who remembers the days in AC of Blow Road,12 pesos a beer in Margaritaville,Johnny Hammer (RIP),Thunderstruck, Swagman Hotel,etc etc etc

When that all got to much it was down to Subic and the Midnight Rambler

Good times.

EPG.

I have a lot of happy memories from the Philippines. Manila entertainment districts Malate/Ermita were great before Mayor Limm closed them all down. Maybe there are still a few places left in Pasay City or Paranaque.

So, Angeles is the only alternative for 'gentlemen' seeking pleasure and fun.

In the mid 1990's before the politically correct fascists came onto the scene, the best guide to the Philippines was Lonely Planet, written by Jens Peters. He included a helpful chapter concerning Angeles which was about 12-14 pages long. Then he was sacked.

Now, there is no helpful chapter regarding Angeles City in the Lonely Planet guide. The new author is a woman with a short haircut and an attitude.

Progress? :o

In the mid 1990's before the politically correct fascists :D came onto the scene, the best guide to the Philippines was Lonely Planet, written by Jens Peters. He included a helpful chapter concerning Angeles which was about 12-14 pages long. Then he was sacked.

I actually hate these people. :o

Edited by ClaytonSeymour

In the mid 1990's before the politically correct fascists :D came onto the scene, the best guide to the Philippines was Lonely Planet, written by Jens Peters. He included a helpful chapter concerning Angeles which was about 12-14 pages long. Then he was sacked.

I actually hate these people. :o

Agreed . For all their so called political correctness these guidebooks have done more towards spoiling more out of the way places than any package tourist could ever aspire to.

haha what a post!

Comparing Angeles with Pattaya is comparing a peanut with a water melon!

Its just basically 1 street in Angeles with night life, its fields avenue in Balibago, the hole nightlife scene is the same size as 1 Soi in Pattaya. Its dirty and dusty, a shithole. The girls are dirty, do not forget to bring your medicine!

And the Philippines are much more expensive than Thailand! The "food" is terrible! Nowadays you will not find a aircon room below 1000 P.!!! in AC, and very basic room! The price value is the worst in SEA! - I do not understand how expats can live in that shithole!

Nice report.

How far in advance did you book Cebu Pacific air tickets? Did you book them online? Was the plane from BKK full?

About 1 week...I was unable to book online as their payment engine won't accept my credit card (foreign cards) so I went to their main office (Nancy Travel) in Bangkok...I would say 75%. It's a 3x3 configuration and I had no problem finding a row with an empty middle seat.

of course you can book them with foreign credit cards, as long you have the Master-card-secure-code or a "verified by Visa" card. I have booked at least 6 flights with them within the past 18 months, and everything worked properly.

before, I tried using a European "non-verified" card by Visa and it was always declined.

Apart from that, I better dont give any comments, because so much nonsense has been written in this topic, that my comments would immidiately cause a brawl. Just in brief: yeah it IS a bigger shithole than ever before, with more crime (usually 100% protected by the police!) and murder than ever before. yeah I have lived there (in the Phils, not in Angeles, but I know Angeles as well and many people living there) and even speak Tagalog to a certain degree. The only purpose for staying in Angeles is if you have an "unruly abdomen". The Phils have so many lovely places, but this is for sure the worst of all. well, now I obviously couldn't resist and give some comments and some people will call me names probably.... but who cares. the truth needs to be said sometimes :o

Jens Peters wasn't sacked. He refused to sell LP the copyright to the book, which he originally published in German, so LP produced a new one from scratch. His original, with occasional updates, is still available online at his website http://www.jenspeters.com/internet_eng/shopping/index.html

not entirely correct.

the latest PRINTED edition has just been published less than 3 months ago in Jens Peters' mother tongue. it will for sure be available in english very soon too. usually, a new book of Jens Peters comes out every 3-4 years. has double the number of pages than the pathetic LP and contains the most detailed informations one could wish. this book is second to none

Edited by siam2007

I wonder if there is any correlation between Bangkok and Pattaya and Pattaya and Angeles in terms of nightlife and entertainment ?

I mean, for most people, Bangkok means Nana, Cowboy and perhaps Patpong with some recent Sukhumvit late night drinking nowadays. Pattaya is 24/7 in many places with at least 100 times as many places to go in that field. Hotels in Bangkok higher, sure things to do in the daytime but most don't bother.

So for the Angeles to Pattaya comparison. I must state that I have yet to go to AC (live in Pattaya) but some things have put me off.

The negatives as I see / saw them are / were

Expensive plane ride

Long journey to AC (now no longer the case if you fly to Clark)

Staying in Manila pricey and dangerous

Abject poverty, well below Thailand

More dangerous overall

More scams for drinks especially lady drinks

No ATMs

Hotels much higher priced with far fewer options

Really crap food

You get bored after a short time

Positives

Cheaper beer

Better attitude from locals and staff

That is or was about it. So hardly a compelling argument is it. Or is it ?

Go for a week.

Flight and taxis perhaps Bt10000

Hotels Bt15000

So you have an extra Bt25,000 unless you are substituting hotels in LOS for AC when the difference could come down to BT15,000 or so. Then some saving on drinks perhaps but ????

So I think you do it for the experience but a costly one for only 3 days or so. I'm still to be convinced that it is worthwhile but only on a cost basis.