Leaving The Uk With Cash

coventry

A friend of mine has recently arrived in Thailand. At the airport, before leaving, he was stopped by police and asked why he had over a grand in cash. They wanted to know why and what he need so much money for ? I assume the money was detected on the x-ray machines. He couldn't provide the answers to their questions and they told him he would be interviewed on his return. Does anyone know if this is now routine, when leaving the UK ? Or am I being told untruths ?

50,000 Baht isn't exactly a fortune.

Assuming he staying for at lest two weeks that would be 3,500 Baht/day, which would barely cover the cost of a decent hotel plus food and booze.

This doesn't sound quite kosher to me. 10K, maybe, but 1K????

And in any event, all my life I have always carried at least 2,000 pounds (or the equivalent in USD) with me for unforeseen emergencies - after all,you never know when the airports may be closed again and leave you stranded. :o

Edited by Mobi

A friend of mine has recently arrived in Thailand. At the airport, before leaving, he was stopped by police and asked why he had over a grand in cash. They wanted to know why and what he need so much money for ? I assume the money was detected on the x-ray machines. He couldn't provide the answers to their questions and they told him he would be interviewed on his return. Does anyone know if this is now routine, when leaving the UK ? Or am I being told untruths ?

More worringly is how did they know he had it?? are they now using the "body scanners" or did they just see it in his x rayed hand luggage?

Hi Coventry

Sounds a bit far fetched seeing that a grand isnt a lot of money really.

I dont think I have EVER travelled out here with LESS and sometimes a lot MORE.

Why couldnt he provide answers to thier questions? Strange! Why not just tell them what they expect to hear from ferangs visiting Thailand.

I think you have been a victim of a wind-up,mate

Dave

I come 2-3- times year for 3 month at a time I have only been stopped once after the x ray machines and asked anything , this was on my last trip in october 2008 and they DID ask me if I had a large amount of cash but it wa s along with other general questions, where was i going etc etc. I change at Dubai so maybe they dont know my onward destination but Im pretty sure they really do.

Money laundering is what they are looking at but IMO its getting a bit extreme now

It's been reported in this forum many times previously that sniffer dogs and/or X-rays have resulted in some serious questions being asked where travelers have been detected carrying large amounts of cash. As I recall the limit for carrying undeclared cash out of the UK is a paltry £1,000 although I can't immediately find a reference to confirm this. Having said that, it does make sense that the authorities might want to better understand why folks have larger amounts when credit cards and electronic funds transfers are so much easier and safer!

My thoughts were that he's playing down the actual sum. But I do believe he was stopped at the airport. The reason why he couldn't answer their questions is because he works cash in hand, pays no taxes etc. One thing I must mention, before someone jumps on it. He doesn't claim benefit of any kind and never has. Thanks for the replies

Edited by coventry

Two years ago me and my wife left the Uk with twenty grand in cash. We were retiring here and as such were prepared for some questioning so had bank statements and other paperwork to show where the money came from.

We nearly missed the plane due to the arrogant person in the UK customs department who refused to see senseand realise that we were gunuine.

More worringly is how did they know he had it?? are they now using the "body scanners" or did they just see it in his x rayed hand luggage?

I don't think body scan or x-ray machines are capable of counting money you are carrying!!

:o:D:D

I don't think body scan or x-ray machines are capable of counting money you are carrying!!

You probably need to rethink that assumption because I think it's a fairly simple process from a technology standpoint. A note is easily identifiable via X-ray, it is a uniform shape and size and has a uniform thickness etc etc etc...

My thoughts were that he's playing down the actual sum. But I do believe he was stopped at the airport. The reason why he couldn't answer their questions is because he works cash in hand, pays no taxes etc. One thing I must mention, before someone jumps on it. He doesn't claim benefit of any kind and never has. Thanks for the replies

So his problem was explaining where the money had come from - not what he was going to spend it on?

You probably need to rethink that assumption because I think it's a fairly simple process from a technology standpoint. A note is easily identifiable via X-ray, it is a uniform shape and size and has a uniform thickness etc etc etc...

No I don't think so, maybe you are living in a differant world!!

:D:D:wai:

It's been reported in this forum many times previously that sniffer dogs and/or X-rays have resulted in some serious questions being asked where travelers have been detected carrying large amounts of cash. As I recall the limit for carrying undeclared cash out of the UK is a paltry £1,000 although I can't immediately find a reference to confirm this. Having said that, it does make sense that the authorities might want to better understand why folks have larger amounts when credit cards and electronic funds transfers are so much easier and safer!

3 reasons.

1. You will get more Baht for your pounds if you buy them with cash upon arrival.

2. Many establishments put a surcharge on credit card payments.

3. The most important - There is mass cloning and theft of credit cards/credit card details in Thailand. It is one country where it is probably "safer" to pay your bills in cash.

That aught to satisfy their narrow little minds :o

When he travels abroad he always wears a money belt. Obviously he would take it off for the x-ray machine. If not, it would be picked up on the physical body check after going through the body x-ray machine. I'm assuming.

All we can do here is offer informed advice, if you chose to ignore it then you, "pay your money and you take your chances". Ummm, is it really true that an MRI can detect cancer cells as small 5 microns - just in case you need some prodding in the right direction!

UK customs website.

"Declaring cash when entering or leaving the UK"

(Download options for this document)

From 15 June 2007, if you are travelling to or from a country outside the European Union (EU), you will need to declare any sums of cash of 10,000 Euro or more (or the equivalent in another currency) to HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC).

You do not need to declare cash if you are travelling to or from another EU country.

3 reasons.

1. You will get more Baht for your pounds if you buy them with cash upon arrival.

3. The most important - There is mass cloning and theft of credit cards/credit card details in Thailand. It is one country where it is probably "safer" to pay your bills in cash.

Agreed Mobi, you and I know those things but the UK/US law enforcement agencies do not necessarily differentiate, or are able to tell the difference between some one who is carrying large amounts of cash for those reasons as apposed to other reasons.

Its actually €10000 which is an advantage now as the £ is weak. I actually brought in £10k last year I wa s stopped and asked (they were stopping everyone) I told them I had it, they never asked to see it or check and count it, I had a copy of my statement from HONDA Thailand for a new car I wa s buying for the wife to prove what the money was for. I always keep the money in my pocket and DONT take it out when walking thru the metal detetctors and x ray areas.

A few questions and i wa s on my way, I do find it intrusive though.

All we can do here is offer informed advice, if you chose to ignore it then you, "pay your money and you take your chances". Ummm, is it really true that an MRI can detect cancer cells as small 5 microns - just in case you need some prodding in the right direction!

Hmm! Please don't try to teach me about Body Scanners or X-Ray machine as I spent a big part of my working life travelling to hospitals around the UK repairing these units, so no prodding is needed!!!

:P :jerk: :burp:

Nothing illegal in that - thats well within what he allowed to take out - no reason for them to speak to him on his return.

Far far larger amounts go through the airport in peoples pockets and cases every day, what happened will be forgotten about in 5 minutes.

3 reasons.

1. You get more baht to the pound if you buy them with Travellers Cheques!!

Yes I totally agree with you as far as credit cards.

Hmm! Please don't try to teach me about Body Scanners or X-Ray machine as I spent a big part of my working life travelling to hospitals around the UK repairing these units, so no prodding is needed!!!

:P :jerk: :burp:

My post was directed to "davyboy" and not to you! Regardless, I hope you are feeling better after your medical trials and tribulations.

Reason for edit: Misspelled davyboy name.

Edited by chiang mai

Tell the window licker of this fascist run regime to <deleted> off and mind his own business, it's nothing to do with him. They can't do anything to you for taking your money to spend on holiday. :o

John.....

How much more useful advice can one possibly ask for, not!

Edited by chiang mai

Yes, and I too have used TC's on occasions for "safety reasons" and always advise friends and family to bring TC's, for the same reason.

However, unless you are lucky enough to get commission free cheques, then the commission you pay will more or less equivalent to the extra cash you will get on TC's as opposed to exchanging currencies.

Also, some TC's are a hassle to exchange - some banks don't accept Thomas Cook etc etc.

You may even find that places like Bank Gold will give you a better rate for your cash than banks will for TC's.

For me, these days, cash is less hassle, and I've never been robbed. :o

Off topic, I know but just my little slant on the subject :D

Yes, and I too have used TC's on occasions for "safety reasons" and always advise friends and family to bring TC's, for the same reason.

However, unless you are lucky enough to get commission free cheques, then the commission you pay will more or less equivalent to the extra cash you will get on TC's as opposed to exchanging currencies.

Also, some TC's are a hassle to exchange - some banks don't accept Thomas Cook etc etc.

You may even find that places like Bank Gold will give you a better rate for your cash than banks will for TC's.

For me, these days, cash is less hassle, and I've never been robbed. :o

Off topic, I know but just my little slant on the subject :D

You can also try "superrich" and haggle with the owner.