Non-immigrant B Requirements?

Can someone "in the know" please confirm that in order to obtain a Non-Immigrant B (working) Visa, the Company must ALREADY have applied for (and received) the Work Permit in my name?

Looking at the Thai Ministry of Foreign affairs website--it appears they require a LOT of documentation, including a Letter of Approval from Ministry of Labor, a copy of the work permit, and various company documents, such as tax and financial statements...

Does this mean that a "1st time" new employee (intending to start working in Thailand) would have to request ALL this documentation from his/her prospective employer to be delivered to him, and then personally take it to the Consulate/Embassy in a country outside Thailand? Do all Thai Companies routinely send their financial docs to a person that isn't even (formally) their employee yet??

My employer seems to believe that a simple, one-page signed "letter of intent to employ" me will be sufficient to obtain the Non-Immigrant B VISA...would greatly appreciate ANY clarification.

Cheers.

HB

That will depend upon the embassy or consulate you go to.

If your country has honorary Thai consulates you would be able to get it with a letter from your future employer.

If you are unable to get the B visa then the next best choice is to get a tourist visa. After your employer applies for your work permit and you have a WP3 from the labour deparment you would then to go to a nearby consulate to a get a B visa.

That will depend upon the embassy or consulate you go to.

If your country has honorary Thai consulates you would be able to get it with a letter from your future employer.

If you are unable to get the B visa then the next best choice is to get a tourist visa. After your employer applies for your work permit and you have a WP3 from the labour deparment you would then to go to a nearby consulate to a get a B visa.

Understood--well to be specific, I'm a US citizen / Passport holder, but will be applying in either KL (Malaysia) or Jakarta (Indo) -- as I have been working in those countries previously--if there is a "better chance" of success in getting the Non-B VISA at one specific Embassy over the other, then I would alter my plans accordingly.

Otherwise, your idea of a 60 day tourist visa would suffice I suppose.

Many thanks!

HB

Can someone "in the know" please confirm that in order to obtain a Non-Immigrant B (working) Visa, the Company must ALREADY have applied for (and received) the Work Permit in my name?

Looking at the Thai Ministry of Foreign affairs website--it appears they require a LOT of documentation, including a Letter of Approval from Ministry of Labor, a copy of the work permit, and various company documents, such as tax and financial statements...

Does this mean that a "1st time" new employee (intending to start working in Thailand) would have to request ALL this documentation from his/her prospective employer to be delivered to him, and then personally take it to the Consulate/Embassy in a country outside Thailand? Do all Thai Companies routinely send their financial docs to a person that isn't even (formally) their employee yet??

My employer seems to believe that a simple, one-page signed "letter of intent to employ" me will be sufficient to obtain the Non-Immigrant B VISA...would greatly appreciate ANY clarification.

Cheers.

HB

Can only speak of my experiences, but yes, the company needs to supply a big slab of documents to the Thai embassy, certainly the case at the Thai embassy in Singapore, I was provided with documentation about 1 inch thick to get my Non-imm B (7 years ago)

I dont believe its enough these days for the employer just to provide a "letter of intent", you also need a reciept for your WP application

as I have been working in those countries previously--if there is a "better chance" of success in getting the Non-B VISA at one specific Embassy over the other, then I would alter my plans accordingly.

In a nutshell no......If you have the proper documentation you will be issued with a Non-Imm B at any of the Thai embassies or consulates, one will not be "easier" than the other..