What Should I Pay My Maid/nanny?

peregrine8

I pay my live-in maids from Burma 8,500 baht each / month. One rest day a month.

They work like 8.00am to 7.00pm but some rest in between.

WOW - you let a person work 11 hours a day except 1 day per month - for 8500 bath per month!!. Seems like slavery is still existing! I sincerely hope she goes to your pockets and run away with the Rolex one day - she truly deserves it.

• 2 weeks later...
I pay my live-in maids from Burma 8,500 baht each / month. One rest day a month.

They work like 8.00am to 7.00pm but some rest in between.

WOW - you let a person work 11 hours a day except 1 day per month - for 8500 bath per month!!. Seems like slavery is still existing! I sincerely hope she goes to your pockets and run away with the Rolex one day - she truly deserves it.

Have you ever been to Thailand or employed a Thai or Burmese ?

I've employed thousands in bars and initially the standard was Bt2.5k a month and 1 day off. Work 7 days a week and from an average of 5pm until 3am plus two afternoons a week. No-one forced any of them to work.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have a maid, but I'm sort of part of a Thai family in Bangkok .. where I visit often and sometimes stay overnight .. and they have a Burmese maid.

The girl is hilarious, energetic and has a very distinctive personality. She has become an integral part of that extended family of 8 other people .. 6 adults and twin nephews of primary school age. She doesn't do all the work, but she does the lion's share. Laundry, ironing, cleaning .. she scrubs the main floor of a large house every day.

She feeds 3 dogs .. even tastes their food to make sure it tastes good. :)

They pay her Bt 5k or 6K (can't remember exactly) and she gets one day a month off.

I have never seen her without a smile on her face.

• 2 years later...

in bkk we pay:

maid-

7,000 baht/month , she comes tues and thurs (fulldays, about 9:30 -6) and saturday (halfday, about 9-2pm)...so thats 2.5 days per week... she has to travel pretty far to get to us, so we factor that in.

that may be more than some pay for part-time, but its hard to find a good maid i feel, and one you can trust, this person is great. we treat her with respect.

we will also give her one month bonus after each year

nanny-

between 8,000 and 10,000 month, depending on hours worked, for monday-friday, 9:30 -6...

and if we need her to stay over we pay extra....