How To Prepare Car For Two Months Without Use

garro

During the school holidays, in a couple of weeks, I am returning with my family to my home country. I will be away for over eight weeks, and my car will not be used during this time. Any ideas how I should prepare the car? Do I need to do anything?

During the school holidays, in a couple of weeks, I am returning with my family to my home country. I will be away for over eight weeks, and my car will not be used during this time. Any ideas how I should prepare the car? Do I need to do anything?

Disconnect the negative battery cable, put a cover over it and that should do you, I have done this many times and never had a problem apart from the one time 6 years ago I never disconnected the battery cable and the Battery was flat.

I'll have the same problem, for 6 weeks holiday. What about the tyres?

I've never had a problem with tyres either, and I've left my car untouched for 2 - 3 months at a time on several occasions.

The battery is the main thing, disconnect the negative cable or you may well come back to a flat battery.

Yeah, for that short of period, disconnect the battery and throw a cover over it (tied down securely of course if it's outside). If your tires are in decent shape, there won't be a problem.

Depending where you are, a "club" or other security device might be a wise investment as well.

Make sure you empty any garbage out (and empty the ashtrays if they are used), or she could be a bit ripe smelling by the time you get back !

Disconnect the negative battery cable, put a cover over it and that should do you, I have done this many times and never had a problem apart from the one time 6 years ago I never disconnected the battery cable and the Battery was flat.

Honest question: Why just the negative battery cable? Can you disconnect both? Is there a difference, and if so, what? (what if you disconnected the positive cable instead?) I am an electrical moron. Not knowing much, I would just disconnect both cables... is that wrong?

I left my motorbike for 6 weeks,and beside taking out the battery and store in a darkcool place my mechanic recommended me to put a few plasticboxes with anti antpowder beside my wiring just to protect it from being eaten,I have seen at a house that the telephone wiring was eaten trough by ants.Those anti-antboxes are very cheap and safe you a lot of problems.

I leave the truck for far longer periods than that and have never had a problem, although someone starts it every now and then. I just throw a cover over it and leave it in the car port.

I would disconnect both battery terminals if I was going to disconnect anything, as only disconnecting the -ve terminal will mean your battery is still connected to +ve and if the -ve was to touch any metal part it could short out the battery as most vehicles now use a -ve earth. A potentially very dangerous problem.

John.....

Edited by johnsurin

I have previously had fuel go a little stale over time.....although my experience with this isnt consistent, it couldnt hurt if you only left it with a small amount of fuel in it, then when you return, fill it up & new stuff will mix with the old stuff.

I have only had this problem with bikes & have found the best thing with them is to use all the fuel up in the tank or drain it & then run the carby dry (its the fuel in the carby that seems to go bad) BUT I WOULD NOT GO THAT FAR FOR THE CAR.

Hopefully the car is going to be locked away somewhere, away from preying eyes.

basis tips

1 Disconnect both battery terminals

2 Release park brake & chock wheels

3 If manual gearbox, leave in nuetral ( prevent sticking cluctch)

When you return to start engine, start at tickover to give oil a chance to re-lubricate cylinder walls.

Cover ir garage if possible, better still ask a freind to start it or move evry week or so.

Cheers