Getting Marry In Thailand

Hi,

I was just wondering what i need to do to get marry in thailand? my partner and i already married end of Nov 08 in nz but i wanna go back to my hometown to get marry in udon. We don't really want to write a Letter of Affirmation or Certificate of Residency or anything like that in thailand since we already did all the paper work in nz. we just want to have a small ceremonies and Wedding reception at a hotel. Is there a away we can have a wedding without going through the paper work?

Thank you.

You are either already married or not. if you are already amrried you cannot get married again. What you can do is register your NZ marriage in Thailand. Contact the Thai embassy in NZ for details on how to do that, you ned to have some documents legalised in NZ.

Of course you can always do a wedding ceremony. That is no problem as that is not a legal wedding.

You are either already married or not. if you are already amrried you cannot get married again. What you can do is register your NZ marriage in Thailand. Contact the Thai embassy in NZ for details on how to do that, you ned to have some documents legalised in NZ.

Of course you can always do a wedding ceremony. That is no problem as that is not a legal wedding.

:o Is a Thai wedding ceremony not legal then?

Many, many thai people never bother getting legally wed by signing the government forms but they consider themselves to be married after undergoing the typical Thai Budhist blessing type wedding with the big party and the exchange of the sinsod (?) payment etc.

It is more important to them that all their relatives and friends know they have tied the knot, which is what the party does.

All about "face".

Good luck

HL :o

:D Is a Thai wedding ceremony not legal then?

:o

But for the benefit of the OP.. there are two types of marriage in Thailand.

The first lets you get married "in law" as they say, which is a government-approved wedding, legal documents signed and all. The other is a ceremony (typically Buddhist) which can be anything from a small gathering of family and a few friends to a full-on blowout. Google Thai wedding ceremony and have fun deciding!

Just for fun, I come from Waipukurau in CHB. Where are you in NZ?

Many countries make a distinction between geting married before the law and getting married in church and only recognize the first kind of marriage. Other countries regocnise a wedding ceremony as legal. A wedding in Thailand is only legaly recognised when you register your marriage at the amphur. The registration means you are married and is purely a registration of that. The wedding ceremony is not a legal marriage, it is just a ceremony. However it is very important in Thai culture and as said many people only have the ceremony and don't register their marriage. They are there for not legaly married.

This is the forum where most marriage questions start or end up.

If you are a Thai you can register your marriage at the amphoe in your home town. They will enter it in your house book and etc.

You will have to have your marriage certificate translated and then certified by the Ministry of Foreign affairs. Most translation business' can do the certification part for you and even EMS it to you when it's finished.

When have done this you can just go to the amphoe and register your marriage using the your marrigage certificate.

A marriage is not legal unless it is registered at the district office. Then it becomes legal by law.

If its just a ceremony its just for face, friends, religious, payments, celebrations, etc.

Sometimes is court cases a ceremony can be considered legal in some ways but just to be sure legalize it for the best. If one guys has a ceremony with one wife but actually registeres his marriage with another. The one with the registration is considered the legal one no matter if first or latter. I have also seen many couples where they did not register their marriage and after the husband died the widow was never considered a widow but still single and the husbands assets didn't belong to her but her husband's family instead.

You will need to make an affirmation of marriage which is a document signed by you that states you are not already married or if you are you are divorced. You will need any original divorce papers for this. These have to be certified by your embassy then that affirmation has to be translated into Thai and certified by the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Bangkok.

You can then take these documents to your local Ampur office and make the lady happy.

:D Is a Thai wedding ceremony not legal then?

:o

But for the benefit of the OP.. there are two types of marriage in Thailand.

The first lets you get married "in law" as they say, which is a government-approved wedding, legal documents signed and all. The other is a ceremony (typically Buddhist) which can be anything from a small gathering of family and a few friends to a full-on blowout. Google Thai wedding ceremony and have fun deciding!

Just for fun, I come from Waipukurau in CHB. Where are you in NZ?

boring old Wellington.... So ur in Thailand then not nz? must be fun lucky you.

I already registered at the district office in nz and got marrigage certificate to prove that our marriage is legal..... im going bk to my hometown next year with my husband to have small ceremonies and Wedding reception at a hotel with friends and family but Do not want to do all the paper work in thailand.. Can i still have ceremonie and receptin without doing all the paper work in thailand.......

Thanks for the answer