Thai National In Hospital

HarriB

In the past month I have seen more hospitals from the inside than I ever cared to see.

But here is the story:

We took my Girlfriend's friend to the emergency room at Pattaya Memorial.

By the time we got there she was passed out (unconscious).

They transfered her to Banglamung for surgery. It was critical but she seems okay now.

I paid the bill at Pattaya Memorial.

She does not have money to pay for the medical bill at Banglamung .

What are her options? What will happen?

I am sure cases like that are not uncommon.

Does anybody know about situatons like this one?

I think you will find the 30b scheme only applies in the persons home province where there registered address is. Typical of your average Thai in Pattaya with some 30,000 registered voters or residents, nobody knows how to do it, hence they have no healthcare so when they are sick they "go back up country" - astonishing but I believe true. Hence the Mayor got elected on some 17,000 votes out of a Thai population probably numbering 800,000 people (of course 90% are NOT registered as living in Pattaya, hence cannot vote).

I think you will find the 30b scheme only applies in the persons home province where there registered address is

Yes, pretty sure that this is true. 30 Baht scheme a good idea but not available to so many people.

I think you will find the 30b scheme only applies in the persons home province where there registered address is. Typical of your average Thai in Pattaya with some 30,000 registered voters or residents, nobody knows how to do it, hence they have no healthcare so when they are sick they "go back up country" - astonishing but I believe true. Hence the Mayor got elected on some 17,000 votes out of a Thai population probably numbering 800,000 people (of course 90% are NOT registered as living in Pattaya, hence cannot vote).

Looks like you are right. Of course in a case of emergency it's diffecult to travel especially when one is unconscious.

Family members came to take care of her and reimbursed me for the bill I paid.

Thanks anyways.

The Thai Gold Card is now nationwide.

Barry

Sorry, by the Gold Card mention, do you mean the 30 baht medical care card...

I had a Thai lady friend working in Pattaya... no... not a BG... who had to go back home to the north last June for treatment for breast cancer because the hospitals in Pattaya wouldn't cover her.

Has something about geographic coverage for the 30 baht scheme changed since then???

The Thai Gold Card is now nationwide.

Barry

Sorry, by the Gold Card mention, do you mean the 30 baht medical care card...

I had a Thai lady friend working in Pattaya... no... not a BG... who had to go back home to the north last June for treatment for breast cancer because the hospitals in Pattaya wouldn't cover her.

Has something about geographic coverage for the 30 baht scheme changed since then???

Coverage is good only where registered. If a person moves they must be a resident for either 30 or 90 days, sorry don't remember which, before they can apply for a card at new location.