Ordering Simple Food Dishes

dudeyone

I am trying to learn more dishes to order at simple Thai small eating stores. Right now I know:

Mu Ge Tiam: Fried beef with rice

Kat Pow Kai: Small pieces of chicken with chili and rice

Any others? How about pork dishes? Oh yeah, how to also say, please include an egg?

One of my favourites is 'kai lookoy'. It's whole hard boiled eggs which are fried and served in a tamarind sauce. I think you can only get it in the south though. It's a very traditional dish.

You'll also get some great laughs from thais when you order it :o

I am trying to learn more dishes to order at simple Thai small eating stores. Right now I know:

Any others? How about pork dishes? Oh yeah, how to also say, please include an egg?

:o

Hey, Dude!

First of all, Moo Gatiem means Pork w/garlic (kow pat moo means fried rice w/pork).

Second, Where to begin, Dude?? Thai food is fliipin' fabulous! Best way to enjoy Thai food, by far, is with your sweetheart who can help you understand what your tastes are as you explore the many different dishes (and levels of spiciness)! Thai's prepare a ton of delicious pork dishes! But, I hope you'll try some of the things below... they are seriously scrumptious!! And I hope you love 'em all:

BOO PAT PONG CULLIE- Crab fried w/egg & vegetables in yellow curry powder

SEE KONG MOO TOD GATIEM- spare ribs fried with garlic

NAM TOK MOO- SPICY! Thai salad w/pork, shallots, chili's, and more (better order this one: "MAI PET," not spicy!!!)

PRAMUT PAT KAI KEM- Squid fried w/salted egg and vegetables & sauce

GAENG KEOW WAN ______- Green sweet curry w/vegetables and GAI (chicken), MOO (pork), NEUA (beef), GOONG (shrimp)

KOW PAT ______- Fried rice w/ choice of... (see above)

PAD SIEUW_______- Stir-fried wide rice noodles w/choice of...

PAD RAAD NAA______- Stir-fried wide rice noodles, in brown sauce w/ choice of...

GAI PAT MAHT MOOWAN HIMAPAN- Chicken w/cashews

TOM CHE DAO HOO MOO SAAP- Clear noodles in soup w/ground pork, tofu & vegetables

SATAY- Small, marinated bamboo skewers of chicken or pork- barbequed, and served with spicy peanut dipping sauce & cuccumber salad

PLAH TOHD GATIEM- Whole fish, fired w/garlic

PLAH SALIP- Crispy-fried small fish

PLAH KAPOENG NEUNG SIEU- Steamed sea bass w/vegetables

That oughta get you started; Chog dee, krap! Let's hear how it goes...

-Michael (away!)

:D

These are some standard dishes at any rice stand. You can get them with pork หมู or chicken ไก่.

ผัดกระเพรา

ผัดผักรวมมิตร

ผัดเปรี้ยวหวาน

ข้าวผัด

ผัดคะน้าหมูกรอบ

ผัดพริก

ผัดพริกขิง

ข้าวผัดแกง

At certain stands you can get:

ข้าวหมูแดง

ข้าวมันไก่

For English/Roman alphabet pronunciation you can plug the Thai words into http://thai2english.com/

Oh yeah, how to also say, please include an egg?

Simplest - just add ไข่ดาว ([L]khai [M]daao [fried egg]) at the end.

i.e.

เอาหมูทอดกระเทียมไข่ดาว (ครับ [male speaker]/ ค่ะ [female speaker])

[M]ao [R]muu [FL]thawd [L]kra[M]thiam [L]khai [M]daao [HS]khrap / [FS]kha

I'll have pork fried with garlic [and a] fried egg, please

Moo Gratiem is PORK not beef....with garlic and pepper

and i guess 'Kat Pow' is Pat krapaow which is fried .... with basil style....

> please include an egg?

you probably mean fried egg....say it: Kor kai dao duei na

keep tasting!

Moo Gratiem is PORK not beef....with garlic and pepper

and i guess 'Kat Pow' is Pat krapaow which is fried .... with basil style....

> please include an egg?

you probably mean fried egg....say it: Kor kai dao duei na

keep tasting!

For egg lovers

ข้าวกะเพรา(ไก่ หมู ฯลฯ)ไข่ดาว fried egg, with ข้าวขาหมู I say เอาแต่เนื้อ meat only, since I haven't trained myself to eat the offal which is a feature of this dish, and ใส่ไข่ when I want the boiled egg many of which are visible in the pot, so you could point. An up-market 'Central' food hall somewhere offered me a choice, I could have had one not soaked in the pot, the outside surface was less like leather. ข้าวหมูแดง/หมูกรอบ adding พีเศษ will get a little more meat and boiled egg for 5 baht extra. The princely sum of 35 or 40 baht depending on whether they like you. I daresay you can do better but I don't mind paying extra to help them out a bit.

How to order from the stalls with the sticky rice and beef? I think they sell Som Tam there. I went to order some beef and rice today but failed and went on a pointing frenzy. What's good there? Som Tam is some sourish stuff right?

Som Tam is the shredded malago put in a mortar with lime juice, sugar, chopped tomato, string beans, small มะเขือ, and chille, if it is 'SomTam Thai' dried shrimps the whole lot smashed up with the pestle. That is what I would order, plus gy yang ไก่ย่าง which should have sticky rice and raw cabbage with it at least. Som Tam boo (ปู crab) is raw crab smashed to smitherines shell-on, I avoid that. Both are supposed to be sour and sweet so that you cannot tell which. Som Tam Thai is what you order. There are hundreds of variations on the basic theme, it is piled on a plate, the shredded malago, green beans, and red toms. are the obvious features of all of them.

How to order from the stalls with the sticky rice and beef? I think they sell Som Tam there. I went to order some beef and rice today but failed and went on a pointing frenzy. What's good there? Som Tam is some sourish stuff right?

Som Tam is the shredded malago put in a mortar with lime juice, sugar, chopped tomato, string beans, small มะเขือ, and chille, if it is 'SomTam Thai' dried shrimps the whole lot smashed up with the pestle. That is what I would order, plus gy yang ไก่ย่าง which should have sticky rice and raw cabbage with it at least. Som Tam boo (ปู crab) is raw crab smashed to smitherines shell-on, I avoid that. Both are supposed to be sour and sweet so that you cannot tell which. Som Tam Thai is what you order. There are hundreds of variations on the basic theme, it is piled on a plate, the shredded malago, green beans, and red toms. are the obvious features of all of them.

And, Dude! BE CAREFUL!!! As with most Thai salads, Som Tam Thai is delicious but always prepared VERY SPICY... You better remember to say, "Mai Phet (my pet)," not spicy! And, even this way, you're pretty much assured of receiving a darn spicy dish, so... BE READY! And, as you're sweating and your mouth is pleading for relief (that usually comes slowly)... TAKE SOLACE in knowing that the more spicy Thai food you eat, the more you'll (probably/hopefully/works for most) love it!

A good thing to know is how to order bigger portions. Sometimes at a small stall you will see a dish such as ข้าวมันไก่ kaow man gai with two prices next to it e.g.

ข้าวมันไก่ ธรรมดา 25 พิเศษ 30 This says kaow man gai tammada 25 piset 30 i.e. regular 25 Baht special 30 Baht

So if ever you want a bigger portion ask for what you want and add the word piset

Another trick when looking at a menu is to look out for the กับข้าว gap kaow (with rice) section. This is confusing because a dish in the "with rice" section has to be ordered with rice as opposed to the ราดข้าว raat kaow (over rice) section. It is normally more expensive and you have to add the price of some plain rice to it, but it will come on a separate dish and be bigger.

The thing to do here is again order what you want but this time say เป็นกับข้าว bpen gap kaow afterwards. You'll also have to add ข้าวเปล่าหนึ่งที่ kaow bplao nung tee (one order of plain rice) to your order.

Edited by withnail