Us Rental Cars W/ Thai Dl?

I've seen related topics but cannot recall any specific experiences on this topic...

I plan to do a short trip to the US and wish to rent cars using my 1-year Thai DL. I obtained a translation at the DL office in BKK but could not get an IDP on a 1-year DL. However, DMV websites for both states I plan to visit state that an IDP is not recognized anyway, while licenses from foreign jurisdictions where the driver is resident will be recognized. I don't expect any trouble from the highway troopers even if I am unfortunate enough to speak with them during this trip.

However, I am wondering if any fellow US expats have practical experience renting cars in the US under this scenario. I will be renting at major airports, rather than podunk local rental offices, but I can easily imagine grief from the clerk when they cannot get their head around the combination of my US citizenship, Thai DL, and US billing address on a credit card. :o

Any advice or sympathy?

I don't know about US, but in 2001, I had to rent a car at Penang Airport in Malaysia, to make an urgent service call on a customer in Ipoh. So - I reserved with Hertz.

When I went to pick up the car, they would not allow me to pick it up based on my current, valid Thai driver's license. They did let me proceed on my three-year expired Minnesota driver's license.

'Made no sense to me. But - they simply said they could not read the Thai license, but they considered my expired US license still valid, since I was overseas.

Again, this was Hertz.

Good luck!

Steve

Indo-Siam

Some rental companies have a policy that you must have a US drivers license if you are a US citizen so it will vary from company to company and most employees would probably not notice.

Believe you may find an IDP is in fact required - but that is not the license - your home country license must also be presented - the IDP is the translation that is accepted.

"However, I am wondering if any fellow US expats have practical experience renting cars in the US under this scenario. I will be renting at major airports, rather than podunk local rental offices, but I can easily imagine grief from the clerk when they cannot get their head around the combination of my US citizenship, Thai DL, and US billing address on a credit card."

I've made several trips to the States, used Hertz every time. Same situation as you, exactly. They only wanted to see my Thai drivers license. That was in LA and ORD. I have an IDL issued in Thailand, but have never been asked to show it. Hope this eases your mind a little. Oh, one thing I did was translate the info on the front of the license, myself, and taped it on the back. All of the agents thanked me and never questioned it.

Its no problem whatsoever -- all you need is a translation of the TDL.

Well worth it however, to re-apply and go thru' the test to get a new stateside lic. --1-2 weeks. If you pass the test on your initial visit, you get a temp. permit on the spot and can drive if accompanied by a valid license holder -- just something to consider.

My expired (2002) Calif. DL (in my possession) had expired in 2002 and I was given a temp. Nevada lic. within 60 min. at the Pahrump, Nevada DMV (July 2004). Fortunately I did have a friend who was willing to accompany me anywhere as long as I did the driving.

• 4 weeks later...

I keep my Uk licence current as well as the Thai, for just this reason.

Technically Thai licences are valid in ASEAN, which includes Malaysia!!

However in reality they are not acceptable as no-one can read them.

I imagine the same will apply in the USA.

In 2000, I picked up my pre-paid Alamo car at at SFO using my Thai tax id card. No kidding. They knew that you can use a foreign license for 90 days in calif. The guy at the desk didn't even flinch. Just made a copy and asked me to show him where my name was, which he duly circled.... :o

Edited by Ajarn