Mahasarakham Falang Meet-up

IssanDM

OK, I've taken the water buffalo by the horns and after talking with a number of "locals" our long awaited meet-up is starting to come together. The location will be N&N 2 restaurant in Mahasarakham. Most everyone that lives in the area knows where this place is. N&N is a Korean style BBQ that's cheap, lots of room, and most importantly, beer :o Now what may be the hardest part, when to have it?

My thoughts are is their anyone NOT living in Thailand but coming to the area soon and would like to meet the locals? Post here with your travel plans and we will do our best to fit you in. This idea goes back a number of years ago when I came to Thailand and wanted to meet many of the posters in Udon Thani. They pushed back the meeting one week to fit me in so I would like to return the favor to someone.

That being said what sounds like a good day to the "locals"?

I will be leaving Thailand on 22nd Feb so I won't be able to make it but I hope you all have a great time. Maybe you could take some pictures and post them.

I was lucky enough to meet irrigator whilst here and found talking to someone who lives here very helpful.

I hope to be coming back when I can and maybe I can meet some others then.

Anyway all the best.

hi everyone tibap here, unforetunately i will miss the party on saturday night as i wont arrive in mahasarakham until the 12th march, but hope you all have a great time. i will be over for a few weeks so maybe i can meet up with some of you guy's then.

by the way i'm a scot, but hopefully you wont hold that against me !!

question ? my girlgriend wants to open a small business in mahasarakham (not sure what yet) but if we do is there any point/benefit in putting things in joint names, as i will be putting up all the cash ?

thanking you all in anticipation of your replies, and have a ball on the 28th.

dam_n that sounds good ! Too bad the date's not suitable for me, but if you guys are opened minded enough to let a KKer in, I'd be happy to join next one !

--> I'll be following Isaan forum for more...

Enjoy the gathering ! ! !

With any luck this will only be the first of many more to come. 2 days and counting and everything is looking good. Poor N&N will never know what hit them when we all show up Saturday.

dam_n that sounds good ! Too bad the date's not suitable for me, but if you guys are opened minded enough to let a KKer in, I'd be happy to join next one !

--> I'll be following Isaan forum for more...

Enjoy the gathering ! ! !

With any luck this will only be the first of many more to come. 2 days and counting and everything is looking good. Poor N&N will never know what hit them when we all show up Saturday.

:D hi there, i'm begginning to wish i had not said i was scottish as nobody seems to want to answer my last post :o ? still have a good time on saturday and if any one can advise me of any precautions i should take with regards to malaria or dengue fever before i arrive on the 12th, then this would be appreciated.

tibap

No worries my friend, everyone will be welcomed. As for battling our "killer" mosquito's there are mosquito repellents sold here that work very good. I haven't heard of any malaria cases around here and just one case of dengue fever a student had about 6 months ago.

Group question: Can someone bring a camera so we can post pictures of the up coming event for those less fortunate not able to attend or do we want to remain incognito :o

OK gang it crunch time so saddle up! It's 4:30 local time here and the Mrs. and I will be leaving for Mahasarakham in 30 minutes. I just spoke with one of the forum members working at the school in Mahasakham and it sounds like the staff both falang and Filipino will be coming.

Post if you have any last minutes questions and I'll do my best to answer them.

See you at N&N 2 and come hungry as it's a buffet. Let the party begin! :D:o

:D

Bugger !

I completely forgot the date.. I was hoping to meet some people. Unfortunately you seem to have picked a "lucky" day.. So i have got to go to lots of "monk" parties.

So sorry I couldn't make it, hope you had a good time.

IssanDM - I may have to drive to Ban Phai on route 2 in the week, Borabu is on the way if I remember correctly.. let me know if you fancy a couple of beers in the afternoon at some point.

Totster :o

IT WAS A SUCCESS!!

I don't remember how many came, but there were many. I don't remember all of your names, but that's the way it was supposed to be.

Cheers!

- cbuddha

It's a pity I missed it by 1 week but glad it was a success anyway. Maybe that means there will be more and I will make it some time. If there are any pictures it would be good to see them.

I don't remember how many came, but there were many. I don't remember all of your names, but that's the way it was supposed to be.

Cheers!

- cbuddha

It's a pity I missed it by 1 week but glad it was a success anyway. Maybe that means there will be more and I will make it some time. If there are any pictures it would be good to see them.

Hi All

It was a great evening ( around 40 people all together) 11 nationalities' :D

We will try to do again in about 2 month :D

ลาก่อน, Laa _Kohn/ Ciao, Arrividerci / Tot Ziens/ Adios/ Au Revoir / Auf Wiedersehen/Sayonara/ Sampai Jumpa/Abyssinia /See you

Bye

Putu

:o

Edited by Putu94

Hi gang, sorry for the delay my internet connection was cut earlier this week. A great time was had by all and it was something never seen in Mahasarakham before. Many of the people that attended said they would like to see this continue and I agree. We talked about having these meeting about every other month as many people live in outlaying villages, myself included.

Here's a taste of what it was like.

post-72885-1236269542_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

Just back from Thailand. Thanks to all to have a great time at the first Falang meeting.

Hopefully next time there will be another one when I am back again in Mahasarakham.

I have some photos and short movies of our meeting. Anyone who like to have the photos, give me a PM and I'll send them to you.

Cheers.

• 1 year later...

Yes this still happens. We usually meet the last Saturday of the month at one of the guys houses.

It's funny you posted this as we have been talking about trying to see if there are any new guys in the area that might be interested.

PM me if you would like more details, good bunch of guys, several teachers.

Regards

Yes this still happens. We usually meet the last Saturday of the month at one of the guys houses.

It's funny you posted this as we have been talking about trying to see if there are any new guys in the area that might be interested.

PM me if you would like more details, good bunch of guys, several teachers.

Regards

I am also fairly new to the area and live in a villiage (Nong Daeng) south of Burabue and would be interested in meeting up with fellow English speaking farangs just to exchange experiences and life in Thailand. So if you guys are planning another get together i'd be interested. Kind regards

Myself and another farang teacher from my school usually go bowling every Friday around 8pm ish at PJ Bowling in Centre Point. Went with some of the farang teachers from another school as well this Friday, so was about half a dozen or so of us, everyone had a pretty good time so I can see it being a regular thing. You're welcome to come along as well, I think we'll regularly goto Titsun bar first (next to flow view / Bar 33, around 100-150m from Centre point) as they have 3 Leos for 100 Bhat from 6pm - 8pm I think (And pretty sure they do food aswell).

Will be good to have a few more Farang come bowling for "Farang Friday" each week.

Myself and another farang teacher from my school usually go bowling every Friday around 8pm ish at PJ Bowling in Centre Point. Went with some of the farang teachers from another school as well this Friday, so was about half a dozen or so of us, everyone had a pretty good time so I can see it being a regular thing. You're welcome to come along as well, I think we'll regularly goto Titsun bar first (next to flow view / Bar 33, around 100-150m from Centre point) as they have 3 Leos for 100 Bhat from 6pm - 8pm I think (And pretty sure they do food aswell).

Will be good to have a few more Farang come bowling for "Farang Friday" each week.

Fantastic replies, thanks - PMs sent to you both. Although I'm leaving for a conference in Laos on Tuesday morning and won't be back for about 3 weeks, but it's probably easier to do something after songkran anyway.

While I've tapped into some knowledge, can anyone advise me on housing? I'm in a condo atm but really want some (at least semi-private) outdoors space, either a garden or big balcony. There doesn't seem tobe such a thing as an estate agent and I can't find any info. I'm living near the uni but all the balconies are tiny. Wouldn't mind moving to town and have an 8k/month budget.

Cheers

Mark

Hi gang, sorry for the delay my internet connection was cut earlier this week. A great time was had by all and it was something never seen in Mahasarakham before. Many of the people that attended said they would like to see this continue and I agree. We talked about having these meeting about every other month as many people live in outlaying villages, myself included.

Don't suppose there's anymore pics from this night. I happened to be in town and attend. Can see my btl of 8 yr old whiskey and my empty chair. :D After N&N we ended up in a cocktail bar by the uni getting hammered on shots. Would like to see more pics if available.

Not sure about additional pics, but just spoke to issandm and he said he would look.

Anyway, we are having a small get together this Sat. and if anyone out there would like to attend and meet a few of us fellow expats living up in this area sent me a PM and I will give you the details. Hope to hear from some of you.

Regards

Don't suppose there's anymore pics from this night. I happened to be in town and attend. Can see my btl of 8 yr old whiskey and my empty chair. :D After N&N we ended up in a cocktail bar by the uni getting hammered on shots. Would like to see more pics if available.

Oh man I still remember that night! Not sure if I would want to see any pictures from there :lol:

Good to see this thread alive again. I now live in Mahasarakham and its quite a change from living in the bush. The get togethers are still very popular. As it was posted earlier Tidsun is becoming the Friday night falang hang out spot. The band is even play a good selection of western music.

• 3 months later...

Just a quickie as I know that MSU is advertising again soon so prospective people might be reading this - local farang meet up does seem fairly active (fortnightly?), I've had Greg call me twice with details of meet ups in town or at someone's home - unfortunately one when I was at a conference in Laos and another when I was in Bangers, so haven't been yet, but def v active. The Taksila hotel gym also seems a good hub. OK it's quiet, but there are things going on here on a regular basis which I think is reassuring to know.

I'm happy to say the meet-up is still going strong. There is also an "unofficial" meet-up happening on Friday nights. Tends to be a bar running a beer special or bowling at PJ Bowl. PM one of us and we'll keep you informed.

• 1 year later...

I'm happy to say the meet-up is still going strong. There is also an "unofficial" meet-up happening on Friday nights. Tends to be a bar running a beer special or bowling at PJ Bowl. PM one of us and we'll keep you informed.

It looks like this old thread has "died out" so I ask the same question again. Is this still on?

Edited by Norlund