Embassys Of Any Nationality

vertigo4u

Hi 

I am posting this Thread, because I would like to know, what are an Embassy of any Nationality is good for!

I am German, and my Embassy gives a Shit for, if I would be in Trouble....

Let me give you a look at a real good Embassy: Swiss Embassys!

They will help ANY Swiss National in ANY Case: Sickness, Troubles, Poverty, legal Problems - what so ever.....

They will help with Money, personal Engagement, medical Help, Lawyers - whatever is needed!

Is there no international Standard, what an Embassy of any Country is good for?

Do not forget: it is all your Taxmoney, they are living on - so why your Embassy is not ready to stand up for you?

Cheers - for an interesting Conversation and Exchange of Thoughts

They are good for developing and maintaining diplomatic ties with the country in which they are located.

They are good for fostering trade deals and bilateral initiatives with the country in which they are located.

They are good for providing assistance and advice for their subjects with regard to things like renewing passports and obtaining official documents from the home country.

They are good for providing assistance and advice for non-subjects who wish to travel to or work in their country.

They are good for informing relatives of subjects who have died overseas.

These are things that most embassies are designed to do.

However...

They are constantly pestered for financial handouts, legal representation and bottom-wiping by subjects who have either got into trouble or feel that embassies are there to cater to their whims.

If you get into trouble in a foreign country, why should the government of your own country sort it out?

Edited by polecat

Weird topic. My embassy is very useful I can't complain. and I quite much agree with polecat. The first mission of the embassy is representing your country outside, not looking after you, if you are out of your country I bet you are big enough to take care of your self.

My only contact with the British Embassy has been when they charged me something like 1200 Baht for a letter to give to immigration, despite the fact that all they did was add my name and passport number to a standard letter (which took a couple of seconds to do). They also released my email address to third parties. Though, to be fair, if I had to work with the sun-burnt, tattooed chavs (and their slapper girlfriends) who fill the place, I'd probably not offer such a great service either.

To a great extent I agree with polecat. People can't really expect their embassy to hold their hand through every problem, many of which are probably self created.

However, when one of their nationals has been the victim of a crime, whether that be an assult, robbery or the like then I firmly believe it is the embassy's duty to move heaven and earth to quickly seek justice from the local authorities (even if it means stepping on some diplomatic toes) and/or to provide medical/financial assistance to the victim post haste.

If the crime is serious, say murder, then the embassy is obligated to leave no stone unturned and dam_n the torpeedos to attain justice (and not allow a white wash by the local authorities as some embassies do) , compensation and also to give every assistance to the family of the victim and not lip service. In serious situations, on behalf of their nationals, embassies should demand, not just ask (create a stink if necessary) for justice and full compensation from the local authorities.

Edited by barky

They are good for developing and maintaining diplomatic ties with the country in which they are located.

They are good for fostering trade deals and bilateral initiatives with the country in which they are located.

They are good for providing assistance and advice for their subjects with regard to things like renewing passports and obtaining official documents from the home country.

They are good for providing assistance and advice for non-subjects who wish to travel to or work in their country.

However...

They are constantly pestered for financial handouts, legal representation and bottom-wiping by subjects who have either got into trouble or feel that embassies are there to cater to their whims.

If you get into trouble in a foreign country, why should the government of your own country sort it out?

Beautiful... I don't know I could have said this any better!

I once travelled to the different embassies in BKK on a work contract. I found the British Embassy to be fairly professional but the busiest and also the trashiest, the Australian embassy was more professional and the quietest (and best looking) and most hospitable was the danish :D

The Japanese was the most austere. You can't even go inside unless you're asian, the BIB guard it! :o

To a great extent I agree with polecat. People can't really expect their embassy to hold their hand through every problem, many of which are probably self created.

However, when one of their nationals has been the victim of a crime, whether that be an assult, robbery or the like then I firmly believe it is the embassy's duty to move heaven and earth to quickly seek justice from the local authorities (even if it means stepping on some diplomatic toes) and/or to provide medical/financial assistance to the victim post haste.

If the crime is serious, say murder, then the embassy is obligated to leave no stone unturned and dam_n the torpeedos to attain justice (and not allow a white wash by the local authorities as some embassies do) , compensation and also to give every assistance to the family of the victim and not lip service. In serious situations, on behalf of their nationals, embassies should demand, not just ask (create a stink if necessary) for justice and full compensation from the local authorities.

Hey Barky,fits you good this name,don't forget that the emabassy's are a guest here as well and can only ask the police not tell them.They can ask higherup then we can and have easier access but that is all,when they sling your a..e in jail all they can do is visit you and get you a laywer and inform your family.The embasy is just a extension of the foreign affairs department.

Can you even imagine the kind of <deleted> that embassies have to deal with in Thailand with so many miss fit foreigners washing up in Thailand eager to turn the life crisis that brought them there into a life disaster and then expecting their nation’s embassy to sort it all out for them?!

Can you even imagine the kind of <deleted> that embassies have to deal with in Thailand with so many miss fit foreigners washing up in Thailand eager to turn the life crisis that brought them there into a life disaster and then expecting their nation's embassy to sort it all out for them?!

:D:D:D:o:D

After the time that I have spent in the British Embassy getting new passports etc., I am not at all surprised that they "draw the line" with regards to the help that they offer.

The number of degenerates that I have seen in there expecting hand-outs, often whilst drunk is incredible and should they decide to go ahead and help these people then they will effectively end up funding free holidays/piss-ups. They do offer help by the way of contacting family in the U.K. to arrange for funds to be sent etc, but no hand-outs and rightly so.

Should a U.K. citizen break the laws of Thailand or any other country for that matter then why should the embassy be expected to bail them out? Although IIRC they do ensure that their citizens have legal representation.

If one of their citizens is a victim of a crime however then that is a different matter, and they should do all that they can to assist.

My only contact with the British Embassy has been when they charged me something like 1200 Baht for a letter to give to immigration, despite the fact that all they did was add my name and passport number to a standard letter (which took a couple of seconds to do). They also released my email address to third parties. Though, to be fair, if I had to work with the sun-burnt, tattooed chavs (and their slapper girlfriends) who fill the place, I'd probably not offer such a great service either.

Chavs and slappers thats no way to speak about her majestys diplomatic staff

I don't know. Chav seems a pretty good description. Anyone remember this?

"A senior British diplomat in Thailand broke through three pairs of plastic handcuffs, threatened to kill fellow airline passengers and abused cabin staff after drinking heavily on a flight to London in the aftermath of the tsunami, a court heard yesterday...At one point he screamed at cabin staff and passengers who tried to restrain him: "You are a fuc_king wanke_r, you're fuc_king dead. Do you know who I am? I'm the head of the British government in Thailand and you're treating me like this.""

From http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2006/jan/18/politics.ukcrime

Edited by Gerontion

"A senior British diplomat in Thailand broke through three pairs of plastic handcuffs, threatened to kill fellow airline passengers and abused cabin staff after drinking heavily on a flight to London in the aftermath of the tsunami, a court heard yesterday...At one point he screamed at cabin staff and passengers who tried to restrain him: "You are a fuc_king wanke_r, you're fuc_king dead. Do you know who I am? I'm the head of the British government in Thailand and you're treating me like this.""

Any idea what happened to him?

Unsurprisingly, he was acquitted. He claimed that his prescription for Seroxat, coupled with stress, had caused him to get pissed and abuse, in pretty ripe language, his fellow passengers, staff, the Buddha, and the King. Getting away with that stuff is one of the fringe benefits of being a colonel, I guess.

@ polecat:do you work for an embassy?

If you can provide me with your passport, a copy of your birth certificate and a 6,900 baht application fee I will call you back within 3 months with an answer. :o

(No, I don't. I just know, roughly, what they do and don't do)

I once travelled to the different embassies in BKK on a work contract. I found the British Embassy to be fairly professional but the busiest and also the trashiest, the Australian embassy was more professional and the quietest (and best looking) and most hospitable was the danish :D

The Japanese was the most austere. You can't even go inside unless you're asian, the BIB guard it! :D

Presumably because they had the best pastries, at coffee-time ? :o

The embassy is essential for a Belgium citizen abroad, due to the fact that when move abroad we must take of our name at the local population register. When arrive in the new country we must report to the embassy to get a new ID card as Belgian citizen living abroad. From that moment on the embassy take over all legal issues, they have an solicitor office who is even entitled to make an testament. Its also for our comfort because we never have to go back home for anything. If problems with our pension and all sorts of other legal documents the embassy will take over the duty's from any government office in our home country.

If I'm accused of a crime in Thailand I know I don't have to expect any legal assistance from my embassy, because they don't interfere in that. maybe if I'm lucky somebody of the embassy will visit me in jail.

Hi 

I am posting this Thread, because I would like to know, what are an Embassy of any Nationality is good for!

I am German, and my Embassy gives a Shit for, if I would be in Trouble....

Let me give you a look at a real good Embassy: Swiss Embassys!

They will help ANY Swiss National in ANY Case: Sickness, Troubles, Poverty, legal Problems - what so ever.....

They will help with Money, personal Engagement, medical Help, Lawyers - whatever is needed!

Is there no international Standard, what an Embassy of any Country is good for?

Do not forget: it is all your Taxmoney, they are living on - so why your Embassy is not ready to stand up for you?

Cheers - for an interesting Conversation and Exchange of Thoughts

Not much really - in my opinion. I get the feeling that they find dealing with individual citizen's problems a pain. You only had to read the stories about how "helpful" the Uk authorities were after the Tsunami, to know that they weren't really concerned. It was almost as if it was a "bother" for them - and it was not until the media started to kick arse that they got their act in gear (semi-gear).

Never had much time for them and stopped donating to the little box in the Consular section several years ago when I found out that one person who donated on a regular basis got a cold shoulder in 2004 when he himself went and asked for help - and genuinely deserved it!

Complete waste of time they are - they'll do what they HAVE to do and they'll be careful to ensure the don't accidentaly do too much!

Sorry - I dont often moan on the forum - but this time round is an exception. have never thought much of their willingness to help their citizens.

However...

Agreed, agreed, agreed. Let me throw in a good word for the New Zealand embassy. I went there to have my NZ police report acknowledged/authorized/stamped-as-real. Now, due to privacy laws in NZ (don't get me started) it states clearly on the form that you receive that due to privacy laws, certain arrests AND convictions may not be listed. So, the guy at the embassy looks at this, and says, oh dear, i can't sign this as being a true copy because it doesn't list anything that you might have been arrested for. So I showed him my copy of the application, where I checked the little box with a BIG tick mark saying I waived the privacy laws, put down everything and anything that ever happened to me in NZ. Hmmm, a spanner in the works. He asks for a few minutes to consider this; no problem. He returns in a few minutes, saying he's called his people in the government back in NZ and they told him that no matter if you tick the box, this is the blanket form they send. So he stamped and signed in front of me, and apologized for the delay. Ok, maybe he should have known that, but probably most people get it stamped in NZ - I lived out in East Overshoe, Third Buckle Up.

Oh, and it was interesting dealing with the Thai embassy in NZ. I called three times to ask for clarification about a couple of things on their website. Each time I was told that all the information I asked for was on their website. I gave up.

Any idea what happened to him?

Gordon Brown ?

It depends on which country you are in.

I have found certain African and Middle Eastern British embassies to be a great help in times of serious crisis.

I am not surprised that the Thailand British Embassy doesn't want to know. All the drug smugglers, drug abusers, ex-cons on the run, the ex football hooligans, the psychopathic nutcases, the hopeless drunks, the sex tourists, the con men etc. etc.

Unfortunately, all the above types of scum have spoiled things for the genuine, law abiding models of calm and sense like myself.

A few years back the British consulate in Ibiza resigned after suffering a nervous breakdown following years of abuse by the San Antonio mob. He said that British tourists abroad are a disgrace. I agree 95% are.

I had the misfortune to be born in the UK, and therefore I have to bear the cross of being a 'Brit'.

I left the country at the age of 21 (which is 22 years ago now), and in the interim period I have had dealings with UK embassies across the globe and I have found them without exception to be laughable, pathetic excersises in bureaucracy.

The UK embassy system is the most worthless extension of government yet invented. The change of the embassies into an organisation for the promotion of UK businesses is a travesty and everybody employed at a UK embassy should be immediately fired or jailed for misuse of funds

The response of the UK embassy here to the tsunami is in itself a shameful indictment of the state of affairs, they were totally MIA when other country's embassies were actively trying to assist their citizens.