Home Workouts

mel2surf

I have been in Asia for over three years now,and try to stay in decent shape.I don't seek big muscles...just to stay toned and build a bit of extra.Gyms are either difficult to find,expensive or sometimes crowded so I have developed a home workout routine using the floor,bed,a chair and some water bottles.You can actually do alot at home to keep toned,and can work all the major muscle areas.I try to go to the gym once a week,then supplement the rest of the week at home.Works and saves alot of time and $

Just my two satangs

Mel

I have been in Asia for over three years now,and try to stay in decent shape.I don't seek big muscles...just to stay toned and build a bit of extra.Gyms are either difficult to find,expensive or sometimes crowded so I have developed a home workout routine using the floor,bed,a chair and some water bottles.You can actually do alot at home to keep toned,and can work all the major muscle areas.I try to go to the gym once a week,then supplement the rest of the week at home.Works and saves alot of time and $

Just my two satangs

Mel

The skytrains are also a good place to do stretching exercises if they are not too crowded. Hang onto the overhead grab rails and stretch your arms and twist your body. I have never seen anybody else do this but I enjoy it!

Just my two satangs

Mel

The skytrains are also a good place to do stretching exercises if they are not too crowded. Hang onto the overhead grab rails and stretch your arms and twist your body. I have never seen anybody else do this but I enjoy it!

A few days back i started a topic about this too. I did however get some stuff for a home gym. And im sure in the long run its much cheaper. Many gyms are a rip off here in Thailand prices are higher then in Europe.

I workout 4 times at home, with a nice power rack. The gyms i found are usually nothing more then health centers almost no free weights.

You can actually do alot at home to keep toned,and can work all the major muscle areas

I couldn't agree more. In fact lots of reputable online sources like menshealth.com have examples of home-workouts. My favourite exercises are jumping rope, sprinting stairs (if you live in a condo, or can find a footbridge) jumping jacks and pressups. Almost any exercise can be improvised - I'd find life hard without a pull-up bar, but using a towel over the top of a door can work. Similarly, dips are possible using two sturdy chairs. Training your lower body is another matter though, you always need to do squats and this requires a barbell, weights and squat racks, minimum. This, of course, is what leads many to join a gym, however you should always have a home-workout up your sleeve, just in case.

You can actually do alot at home to keep toned,and can work all the major muscle areas

I couldn't agree more. In fact lots of reputable online sources like menshealth.com have examples of home-workouts. My favourite exercises are jumping rope, sprinting stairs (if you live in a condo, or can find a footbridge) jumping jacks and pressups. Almost any exercise can be improvised - I'd find life hard without a pull-up bar, but using a towel over the top of a door can work. Similarly, dips are possible using two sturdy chairs. Training your lower body is another matter though, you always need to do squats and this requires a barbell, weights and squat racks, minimum. This, of course, is what leads many to join a gym, however you should always have a home-workout up your sleeve, just in case.

I got some equipment so i can do evertyhing at home. In the end its cheaper but you do need space for it and not all appartments have that. Also if your not planning to stay long in Thailand it isnt worth the trouble. I just finished a nice session of training including squats i just love doing it at home.

In gyms they might not even have free weights and many times they have unfavorable joining policy (hard to quit ect).

I workout 4 times at home, with a nice power rack.

Good idea. I get a lot done w/ a couple of dumbbells when I don't go to the gym. In fact, I agree there's no real need to go to the gym when you can do sufficiently well at home. The biggest lack is something for pullups . . . but someone suggested a towel over a door--haven't tried that. I might get some exercise bands when I'm in the States.

Where did you buy the power rack?

And I don't think you need a squat rack, because you don't need to go that heavy for fitness.

When I resided 13 year ago in Malaysia, The local gym which was next the apartment building was part of a golf-range. The extreemly high price only for "life-membership" (besides the monthly fee) was enough to set me on a search for a "home-rack". I bought a rack and free-weights (barbell, z-bar), the works, for 25% of the membership fee.

The rack has now seen a couple of countries, is 13 years old, and I'm using it 2 to 3x a week. Best investment ever!

My house has a set of stairs going up thru the middle of it so the underside is exposed. I tore a beach towel down the middle and tied the two pieces shoulder width apart over my head, making two handles.

The really cool thing about this set up is you can put your feet up on different levels of the lower steps to get a change of angle and weight. :o

Regarding pull ups, that is...

Edited by thetitan99

Exercise bands are really good. 5 different bands with different resistence levels, all fit into a little bag so you can take anywhere and you can work every muscle group. Also a swimming pool helps, great for cardio and all over body workout and good on the joints. No need for a gym.

Good idea. I get a lot done w/ a couple of dumbbells when I don't go to the gym. In fact, I agree there's no real need to go to the gym when you can do sufficiently well at home. The biggest lack is something for pullups . . . but someone suggested a towel over a door--haven't tried that. I might get some exercise bands when I'm in the States.

And I don't think you need a squat rack, because you don't need to go that heavy for fitness.

The power rack is among things also a squat rack. Ill post a pic of it. I bought it at Jackies fitness they have all kind of things. Personaly i believe that free weights are the best to exercise with.

Picture090.jpg

Picture091.jpg

The holes in the power rack allow you to put your safeties at any height. So you can use it for squats, neck press, bench press, incline benchpress, rackpulls and more. Its just great to be able to train without risking yourself.

For me in the end i have saved enough on gym memberships to buy all the stuff i have. After this year im starting to make money (by saving on gym memberships).

I did like gym's trained with them for many years but then they were not so expensive as they are in Thailand, they are overpriced here. Many don't have free weights only machines. Machines are not as effective as free weights because you don't have to stabilize the weights ect. Compound exercises are the best (squat, benchpress, deadlift to name but a few).

I bought a bowflex...pricey but an awesome workout and also built a pull up bar myself...easy to stay fit here....but the price of gyms has come down over the years and some of them are pretty decent.

What kind of bowflex ?

Im sure there are decent gym's, but where i live there is only a fitness first that does not even have free weights. They have a smith machine, i hate those things. Things is when i first started going to gyms they were real expensive and you had to take a subscription for a longer period of time and they do make it hard to quit.

I dont know if you seen the article a few days to a week back that was talking about all the problems with gyms in Thailand ? it was on the general part of the forum. Most complaints were about unfair service terms.

That's a really awesome home-gym, robblok - you've eliminated the need to join a gym by buying a power rack - it's got to be the ultimate piece of kit anyone could buy, as like you wrote, you can lift free weights to failure in total, unaided safety. Those photos should be pinned as examples; they are that good, you've thought of everything - even an elliptical!

in the end i have saved enough on gym memberships to buy all the stuff i have. After this year im starting to make money (by saving on gym memberships).

Seeing what you've accomplished is a real eye-opener for me, I knew gyms were expensive but I can't believe you've broken even - I mean you've got enough kit to do almost any exercise you want.

The holes in the power rack allow you to put your safeties at any height. So you can use it for squats, neck press, bench press, incline benchpress, rackpulls and more. Its just great to be able to train without risking yourself.

For me in the end i have saved enough on gym memberships to buy all the stuff i have. After this year im starting to make money (by saving on gym memberships).

I did like gym's trained with them for many years but then they were not so expensive as they are in Thailand, they are overpriced here. Many don't have free weights only machines. Machines are not as effective as free weights because you don't have to stabilize the weights ect. Compound exercises are the best (squat, benchpress, deadlift to name but a few).

What a nice setup, thanks for the pics.

And, yeah, free weights are definitely the way to go. They adjust for your body, as you know, keep you in balance. Machines I think are more for newbies . . . to get them started and help support the gym owner by commanding higher gym fees :o.

That's a really awesome home-gym, robblok - you've eliminated the need to join a gym by buying a power rack - it's got to be the ultimate piece of kit anyone could buy, as like you wrote, you can lift free weights to failure in total, unaided safety. Those photos should be pinned as examples; they are that good, you've thought of everything - even an elliptical!
in the end i have saved enough on gym memberships to buy all the stuff i have. After this year im starting to make money (by saving on gym memberships).

Seeing what you've accomplished is a real eye-opener for me, I knew gyms were expensive but I can't believe you've broken even - I mean you've got enough kit to do almost any exercise you want.

I broke even because i am here now for 3 years already if you count 3 years of gym subscription against what i have its about the same value. I calculated a gym membership at 2000 bath a month i know there are more expensive ones too.

You don't break even if you don't break even if you dont plan to stay here. elliptical's are real cheap the expensive thing was the power rack. There is resell value in a power rack because it can always be used again and it doesn't age. I did not even count that.

But the problem with a home gym is that you do need room for it. That is a problem many will have, im lucky to own a townhouse with my wife so we have room enough.

Great looking home gym.

elliptical's are real cheap

I've been interested in getting an elliptical trainer but thought I'd probably have to pay 30 or 40K for a decent one. If you're happy with your machine would you mind sharing what brand/model it is and about how much it was?

Great looking home gym.
elliptical's are real cheap

I've been interested in getting an elliptical trainer but thought I'd probably have to pay 30 or 40K for a decent one. If you're happy with your machine would you mind sharing what brand/model it is and about how much it was?

Im happy with mine it was about 12.000 bath. It is an infinite with a computer on it. The computer has 12 pre programmed program's. You can make you own program too or just go manual. Its strong im a heavy guy but its stable when im on it.

Below are 2 pics

Picture093.jpg

Picture092.jpg

Edited by robblok

Thanks for the info and pics. A lot better price than I expected. Now, if I can just find one in Udon.

I just came back from a fitness equipment seller, i saw a lot of those elliptical machines. Some were really expense some were cheap (the price i mentioned and lower). But even some of the expensive ones did not feel stable when i stood on them. I think you will just have to try a few and dont buy one in a rush.

I have never been in Udon but in BKK they sell those things in many shopping centers too. That is where i got mine from.

Someone already said it, but it is worth repeating: you don't need to buy any fitness equipment. A good option is bodyweight workout programs. Here is an example home workout I like though there are tougher and easier ones to suit:

Think of diet. We now know natural, organic food sources without all the chemicals and additives are better for a person. Modern fitness is also back to the basics. Most people already know free weights are better than machines. Now there is a growing realization that bodyweight workouts are as incredibly effective as they are simple. Martial arts and military are training like this because it works. You can do very tough workouts that give great results if that is your goal. There are no requirements to spend money on memberships or equipment to get fit. Improvise a little and you will find you already have everything you need.

Now there is a growing realization that bodyweight workouts are as incredibly effective as they are simple.

Thanks for the link, youtube has some great videos. I agree with your opinions, but I'd add to that by saying that I think equipment-free home-workouts are excellent for general fitness only. Therefore I think you have fully answered the original question of the poster who started this thread.

I think that 'robblok' has shown how building a home-gym can be cheaper, more convenient and less hassle than joining a gym, if you have the space and stay here a long time. He has the option of either bodyweight-exercises, free-weights or machine exercises and those photos have certainly given me a few ideas.

I'd like to know where can I buy a power rack from?

Hello all!

As an older fitness person, can also recommend home work outs, doing however many pushups one can handle, finding some table or chair to anchor you feet and do 3 sets of holding behind the head 'sittups' (however many you can handle), and chin/pull-ups both with the hands away and towards one. In Bangkok one can purchase an adjustable pull-up bar (about 400 baht) that easily installs in any doorway, at the FBT shop just passed National Stadium (MBK). Look up the phone number. they also sell the inflatable 'Capsule', the better than the 'Round exercise Ball' which is incredible to back bend over while sitting in front of! Then one can also find webbed gloves at Paragon department store, which standing in any pool or in ocean, can be used as water resistance exercise. with water proof shoes, one can also do lower body work work out in water, which keeps body temparture constant. Great for older people, along with a complimentary solitary Yoga session. this is all one needs for maintanance, along with some concentrated food protein.

Michael

Now there is a growing realization that bodyweight workouts are as incredibly effective as they are simple.

Thanks for the link, youtube has some great videos. I agree with your opinions, but I'd add to that by saying that I think equipment-free home-workouts are excellent for general fitness only. Therefore I think you have fully answered the original question of the poster who started this thread.

I think that 'robblok' has shown how building a home-gym can be cheaper, more convenient and less hassle than joining a gym, if you have the space and stay here a long time. He has the option of either bodyweight-exercises, free-weights or machine exercises and those photos have certainly given me a few ideas.

There are two places where i have seen them Jakies Fitness and ultimate fitness. The one at ultimate fitness is around 30.000 while the one i bought was 39.000 but it had 50 kg more weight. If you want to know more i can give you the email of ultimatefitnessthailand they were really fast at sending me an pricelist.

Im just looking to buy an 50mm EZ bar and a few other bars and handles. That is why i contacted them.

• 4 months later...

There are two places where i have seen them Jakies Fitness and ultimate fitness. The one at ultimate fitness is around 30.000 while the one i bought was 39.000 but it had 50 kg more weight. If you want to know more i can give you the email of ultimatefitnessthailand they were really fast at sending me an pricelist.

Im just looking to buy an 50mm EZ bar and a few other bars and handles. That is why i contacted them.

Great pictures Robblok, thanks for them. I too am thinking of setting up a home gym and want to start with a power rack. Can I confirm that this is the Jacky Fitness at this link:

www.

jackyfitness

.com

Which store habe you had better experience with: Jacky or Ultimate? And you paid when you bought it, about 39 thousand baht? How tall is the power rack? I live in an old house and the cielings are not that high.

Thanks for your help and keep up the good posts.

Ya, get some exercise bands - they're great and very versatile. My brother brought me a couple when he last visited and showed me just how many different ways they can be used. Those, along with a couple of 5Kg dumbells and some stairs are all a person really needs to keep toned. I guess some people just enjoy the gym atmosphere more and are maybe more motivated in that setting, but I'm quite happy to exercise at home and not worry about driving to the gym. Fortunately, I have a nice stretch of beach behind my building with a paved walkway for running or walking, depending on how energetic I feel that day.

Just my two satangs

Mel

A few days back i started a topic about this too. I did however get some stuff for a home gym. And im sure in the long run its much cheaper. Many gyms are a rip off here in Thailand prices are higher then in Europe.

I workout 4 times at home, with a nice power rack. The gyms i found are usually nothing more then health centers almost no free weights.

I agree with Rob here about the prices.

And, yeah, free weights are definitely the way to go. They adjust for your body, as you know, keep you in balance. Machines I think are more for newbies . . . to get them started and help support the gym owner by commanding higher gym fees :) .

I think so. But for training the legs, I prefer the machine. I mean can you put up 90 kg with your right leg only? I do. And I weigh only 81. But for the rest I prefer dumbells and free weight training like you state. I see so many peeps go to the gym, often members for years, without much result, because they don't know what they want, and are not training at the right levels. I'm more of a strength guy, instead of a bodybuilder, but that's my personal choise. To give me the strength, I do alot of Spinning ( 2,5 hours every 2 day ) and other cardio. I advised Rob to. It gives you a stronger heart and better bloodflow, which definetly makes you stronger.

Edited by Datsun240Z

And, yeah, free weights are definitely the way to go. They adjust for your body, as you know, keep you in balance. Machines I think are more for newbies . . . to get them started and help support the gym owner by commanding higher gym fees :) .

I think so. But for training the legs, I prefer the machine. I mean can you put up 90 kg with your right leg only? I do. And I weigh only 81. But for the rest I prefer dumbells and free weight training like you state. I see so many peeps go to the gym, often members for years, without much result, because they don't know what they want, and are not training at the right levels. I'm more of a strength guy, instead of a bodybuilder, but that's my personal choise. To give me the strength, I do alot of Spinning ( 2,5 hours every 2 day ) and other cardio. I advised Rob to. It gives you a stronger heart and better bloodflow, which definetly makes you stronger.

Try doing squats there arent many ppl who squat 200 kg for training purpouses. Machines are nice but nothing beats squat. Compound exercises are the way to go, machines do all the stabilizing and therefor are not compound exercises.