Netgear Readynas Nv+

Veazer

I've done a lot of looking at NAS boxes over the last week, haven't seen that model in the shops or online in Thailand so far. I'm looking at a similar device, the Qnap TS-509 PRO NAS Sever which you can get at BigIT (its on their website, and I've seen it in one store).

What I really want is the Qnap TS-439 Pro Turbo NAS, but it only came out a couple of days ago and there's no chance of getting it in Thailand anytime soon.

Edited by Crushdepth

• 2 weeks later...
I found the QNAP TS 439 Pro in Fortune today, price was 29,xxx baht. With a bit of luck I'll be buying one for work on Monday!

ahh! that's great news... i really like the specs of the 439 but couldn't find them anywhere. I was just about to give up and buy the Thecus 4100 Pro but it wasn't exactly what i wanted. Thanks for letting me know about this, this helped me tremendously. Do you remember which store it was in? if you pick one up tomorrow could you possibly get their number and pm it to me? i'd like to see if there's a way to get it to chiang mai.

• 1 month later...

Just an update on this: I got fed up with the penny-pinching technophobes that control the $ at my workplace. I just couldn't stand it anymore so I bought my *own* bloody QNAP TS-439 for home. It is probably the coolest piece of computer hardware I ever owned. You can install it in 10 minutes and it is dead easy to use. I set it up with fairly conservative 4 x 500GB drives in a RAID 5 for 1.3 terrabytes of storage!!!

Dual embedded operating systems, dual power supplies and any flavour of RAID you want. The only thing it doesn't offer is VPN access, but I bought a WRT54GL router today and will be installing Tomato + OpenVPN on it in due course.

I love it :-)

Just an update on this: I got fed up with the penny-pinching technophobes that control the $ at my workplace. I just couldn't stand it anymore so I bought my *own* bloody QNAP TS-439 for home. It is probably the coolest piece of computer hardware I ever owned. You can install it in 10 minutes and it is dead easy to use. I set it up with fairly conservative 4 x 500GB drives in a RAID 5 for 1.3 terrabytes of storage!!!

Dual embedded operating systems, dual power supplies and any flavour of RAID you want. The only thing it doesn't offer is VPN access, but I bought a WRT54GL router today and will be installing Tomato + OpenVPN on it in due course.

I love it :-)

Ahh man, i'm jealous. My head office refused to let me get the QNAP and i had to get the NetGear ReadyNAS. I'm actually in the office now setting it up, same drive configuration as yours. I'll be playing with it all day so i'll try to post some feedback. dam_n expensive for the specs, it was over 33K without drives.

Have you found a recent Tomato firmware with VPN or are you using the 1.21?