Is It Time For Mods To Have Double Accounts?

Hawkup2000

Lately I wondered if it would be better if moderators on this site would have one account for moderating and one another totally separate account for posting stuff with personal views.

I think this would benefit both thaivisa.com as a brand, the mods and it's users. By letting mods have double accounts thaivisa.com don't risk to have moderators personal views getting mixed up with the brand and at the same time the moderator won't feel "held back" by his/her moderator status. I just don't see the point in mods posting personal views and at the same time moderating under the same user name.

Of course this idea/suggestion can't be applied to all underforums, for example I think in the healthforum the benefits would be minimal.

Whats your opinion on this thought?

What makes you think they don't already? :D

:o Ok, let me rephrase it then. Why do moderators post personal views on their official accounts? :D

My point is: I think the trust among users and thaivisas credibility would increase if there were a strict line between private and official posting.

endure

Thank you for helping me proving my point :D .

What makes you think they don't already? :D

:o Ok, let me rephrase it then. Why do moderators post personal views on their official accounts? :D

My point is: I think the trust among users and thaivisas credibility would increase if there were a strict line between private and official posting.

endure

Thank you for helping me proving my point :D .

When we do post personal opinions on threads we generally accept the fact that we've (individually) forfeited our 'modness' for that thread. If there's any need for modding we stand back and let a mod who's not involved do it.

On this busy forum, do any of the mods recieve compensation?

No... none of the ThaiVisa moderating team receive any kind of compensation.

Back on topic, I think Endure has answered for most of us... if we contribute in any way to a thread by way of offering a personal opinion or comment, most of us will tend to leave that particular thread unmoderated. Should any moderation be required we will step back and allow another moderator to intervene.

Back on topic, I think Endure has answered for most of us... if we contribute in any way to a thread by way of offering a personal opinion or comment, most of us will tend to leave that particular thread unmoderated. Should any moderation be required we will step back and allow another moderator to intervene.

If a Moderator disagrees with another one, what happens ? Example: a moderator closes a thread for some reason, and another moderator wishes to keep it running , what happens ?

Thanks.

If a Moderator disagrees with another one, what happens ? Example: a moderator closes a thread for some reason, and another moderator wishes to keep it running , what happens ?

I hear it's settled with a game of paper-scissors-stone.

geeeee....that's great...Exactly what I do with my staff.

Lately I wondered if it would be better if moderators on this site would have one account for moderating and one another totally separate account for posting stuff with personal views.

I think this would benefit both thaivisa.com as a brand, the mods and it's users. By letting mods have double accounts thaivisa.com don't risk to have moderators personal views getting mixed up with the brand and at the same time the moderator won't feel "held back" by his/her moderator status. I just don't see the point in mods posting personal views and at the same time moderating under the same user name.

Of course this idea/suggestion can't be applied to all underforums, for example I think in the healthforum the benefits would be minimal.

Whats your opinion on this thought?

Since we aren't allowed to dsicuss moderation at all I've often replied to a mod with something like "1. If you are posting as a regular user than ____________. 2. If you are posting as a mod, nevermind."

Yeah, right. :o

I do the same on the forum where i am a mod. Allthough i sometimes press the "report" botton to make other mods take quick action. Moderating a thread and participating with oppinions is against all manners.

Thanks.

You mean like that one yesterday where one wrote what a good thread it was and 3 hours later another closed it? :o

I'm sorry I can't agree as I have seen instances where mods have posted what appear to be personal views.... others then respond to these personal views (and in a fairly benign way), and then either the relevant post is removed - or the thread closed - on the basis of criticism of mods/moderation. Whether this was by the same mod or by a different one, the effect is still the same.

I think the Op's suggestion is an interesting one and worthy of consideration - ideally in conjunction with rethinking & redrafting the relevant forum rule.

Thanks.

You mean like that one yesterday where one wrote what a good thread it was and 3 hours later another closed it? :o

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Goodbye-Nice...um-t241750.html

I also find that one very strange. George said he wanted the thread and was reading and was gonna answer our oppinions. Another mod came in and said it was a very good thread and wanted it open. 3 hours later its closed. :D .

I guess because it turned into something against the rules, but still, strange.

Thanks.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Goodbye-Nice...um-t241750.html

I also find that one very strange. George said he wanted the thread and was reading and was gonna answer our oppinions. Another mod came in and said it was a very good thread and wanted it open. 3 hours later its closed. :D .

I guess because it turned into something against the rules, but still, strange.

This one is a good example. There is also the other way. A good thread is closed, without any moderation criticism or else. What if another moderator thinks it should still be running ?

Yes, I admit I thought the same also. There was a post from a Mod requesting no more discussion of moderation, and to go back on the topic of the new forum adverts. The next post did exactly that, giving an opinion on advert and forum layout. Then, one post later, the thread is closed because of too much "misbehaviour". Very strange...

Fully agree, there seems to be few mod's posting personal views and moderating others even in same post. So IMHO there is unnecessary actions taken time to time against those who are just not in line with mods personal views... :o

Yes, I admit I thought the same also. There was a post from a Mod requesting no more discussion of moderation, and to go back on the topic of the new forum adverts. The next post did exactly that, giving an opinion on advert and forum layout. Then, one post later, the thread is closed because of too much "misbehaviour". Very strange...

It is pretty obvious that the mods dont always agree with eachother. This is nothing strange, it happens in all big teams that there is different takes on the rules. But if a few mods accept whats going on (like in this case) and anther dont, i think they should have a discussion in between them before closure. Then again for all i know, they ight have that already. Still very strange behavior sometimes though......