Sprouting Seeds, Beans Etc.

Firefan

Hi there! :o

I like to eat various sprouts - good for health and tasty.

One can buy big bags of soy bean sprouts in the supermarket. Meanwhile I would like to sprout myself ( being able to decide which seeds/beans to sprout and to have them fresh) - and online in the US/EU I see many smart/easy to use sprouters for that. Meanwhile with the amount of sprouts being used in Thai cooking there must be an easy/simple/cheap sprouter (besides a glass bottle :D ) one can buy here to have my own little farm on my balcony?

Anybody that knows here?

Cheers!

Hi there! :o

I like to eat various sprouts - good for health and tasty.

One can buy big bags of soy bean sprouts in the supermarket. Meanwhile I would like to sprout myself ( being able to decide which seeds/beans to sprout and to have them fresh) - and online in the US/EU I see many smart/easy to use sprouters for that. Meanwhile with the amount of sprouts being used in Thai cooking there must be an easy/simple/cheap sprouter (besides a glass bottle :D ) one can buy here to have my own little farm on my balcony?

Anybody that knows here?

Cheers!

I knew id seen a post/thread like this somewhere before, dont know if it helps any, but its a start,,

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Raising-Balc...rd-t192304.html Cheers, lickey..

You don't need a fancy sprouting mechanism to do some simple sprout growing at home. For larger seeds, like mung bean or sunflower seeds - soak the seeds overnight in as bowl or jar with drinking water, then drain and lay them out single layer on a cotton cloth or paper towel. Cover the seeds with the same material, keep the towel moist and watch them sprout and grow.

Another method is to use a large jar with a screen to replace the solid cap. A big rubber band can hold the screen in place. (Stainless steel or plastic screen can be purchased by the meter at a local hardware store.) Put the seeds inside, screen on top, soak overnight, drain and sit the jar upside down so the seeds don't sit in water. Moisten the seeds by rinsing with water and draining at least twice daily.

You can also use the plastic screen material to fashion a sprouting bag. Soak, drain and rinse frequently.

Happy sprouting.

Edited by drtreelove