Strange, Kind Of Funny But Not?

aussiejosh

Same thing happened to me a few years ago and I only had a couple of hundred Baht on me.

After a bit of discussion they told me to pick up litter for 20 minutes, which I did, and then they let me go on my way with a cheery smile and a wave.

A thousand baht or a thousand butts sounds a reasonable penalty

I am really over seeing cigarette butts littering the world :o - in sand at the beach, in the grass in parks, on footpaths everywhere.

Smokers get away with littering far too much - not content with ruining the quality of the air I breathe :D , they make mess everywhere they go.

I am going to start carrying a can of room deodorant and spray it near anyone (not the really big ugly ex-wrestlers!) whose smoke I can smell - see if they like that, it seems fair to me!!!

My funeral arrangements will be posted here shortly, I think :D

Sound like a case of Dumb and Dumber here.

The "butt-flicker" is dumb (and definitely inconsiderate) to litter without regard or respect for Thais and their country, and the security guard is dumber for thinking that their "pseudo-cop" job entitles them to collect fine OUTSIDE the park.

Same thing happened to me a few years ago and I only had a couple of hundred Baht on me.

After a bit of discussion they told me to pick up litter for 20 minutes, which I did, and then they let me go on my way with a cheery smile and a wave.

I am really over seeing cigarette butts littering the world :o - in sand at the beach, in the grass in parks, on footpaths everywhere.

Smokers get away with littering far too much - not content with ruining the quality of the air I breathe :D , they make mess everywhere they go.

I am going to start carrying a can of room deodorant and spray it near anyone (not the really big ugly ex-wrestlers!) whose smoke I can smell - see if they like that, it seems fair to me!!!

Dude look in a klong... And its not the wrestlers you have to be worried about, its just plain westerners, they are so aggressive... :D

Smoking isn't allowed in buildings anymore, so if smokers are ruining the quality of the air you breath, you must be running over to them outside and sticking your face in front of them when they exhale. I suppose that looks rather strange.

Also, be careful with your can of room deodorant -- I've known some smallish people who could likely give you a sound trashing.

Thai Police exploiting/humiliating tourists for personal amusement and profit

That's nice.

Well to be fair I did break a law and didn't have the cash on me to pay the fine so a compromise was reached; face saved by them and I learned my lesson.

Seems fair enough to me.

Hi :o

Best is still if they scam outright.... like attempted once with me. One of those approached me in front of MBK (on the BTS platform/walkway) and gently directed me to a desk they had there. I thought first it's some kind of tourist thing or passport check or whatever so i went with him. Once there he showed me a laminated paper mentioning said littering law and said i have to pay the fine for throwing my cigarette butt.

I hadn't thrown any because i don't smoke!

This however didn't impress the guy the slightest bit, after all he "had seen me throwing it". I offered him to search my pockets for any cigarettes or lighters (bad idea i realized later because i DO carry a lighter) which he refused - "maybe it your last one", he had the nerve to say. He then continued that i have to pay 1,000 Baht (seeing i wasn't going to pay 2,000) right now or they must make a report and "put me into the computer". And to put a bit of force behind that he waved his colleague over who, obviously, was a withnes (how to spell this stupid word???) who had ALSO seen me throwing that cigarette butt.

Again i am a NON-SMOKER.

In the end i was let off, wasted almost 20 minutes there and was told firmly "don't do it again, throwing trash is illegal". Bunch of morons and scammers.

Best regards.....

Thanh