Step Down Transformers

Maigo6

I have an Electric bar heater that is 100 Volts, 300 Watts per bar making a 600 Watt maximum power usage, 50/60Hz ( It's from Japan )

Can I buy a reliable step down transformer economically in Thailand ?

Can I get it converted somehow to not need a step down traneformer ?

I've never seen these for sale in Thailand and would find it useful in the cold season up north where it can get very cold at night.

Cheers.... :o

Voltage in Thailand is approximately 220 volts. If you could find a 750 VA, 220/110 volt (2:1) step-down transformer with the correct plugs the heaters would work, although the voltage on the heaters would be a about 10% high. Can't say if the heaters would overheat and self-destruct or not.

You could have a competent electrician, not a computer guru, rewire the heating elements in series, plug the thing into 220 volts, and enjoy the heat. Same caution would apply on the 10% overvoltage. Again would work, but not the best technical solution.

Don't burn the house down!

Isetan (the Japanese Department Store) have 100V step down trannies, no idea if they have one good for 600VA though. I think they are only in BKK :o

A 220-110 trannie may be OK, a heater on 10% overvolt should not have any issues unless they are the type that glow really bright.

Or, as noted above, rewire so the bars are in series. You could use a big (750W) lamp dimmer to control the heat so you don't have 600+W all the time :D

I bought a basic 100VA step down transformer from HomePro, I think they have 750VA models as well. I also bought a couple of 500VA models from Thai Trans who have a wide range of transformers. I dealt with a Mr Chanatip who was kind enough to drop them off at my house in Bangkok the same afternoon that I ordered them.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks guys, looking at that website and the transformers makes me think it may be uneconomical, they look expensive, and the A10 is 13 Kgs in weight.

As noted above, rewire so the bars are in series. You could use a big (750W) lamp dimmer to control the heat so you don't have 600+W all the time