How Many Farangs Have A Masters Degree?

jtp

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There's been a profound inflation in academic awards in Britain - if that's where you're from - so it doesn't seem that improbable. The ex-polytechnics, in particular, hand out bullshit degrees at all levels to anyone who can bother to sit through the lectures/seminars. I was briefly involved in undergraduate awards at one of the better British universities (the department in which I worked was, I seem to remember, ranked 4th in the country) and the finals' board was a joke. If you hadn't been a complete arse, it was pretty difficult not to get a 2.1 and they moved heaven and earth to avoid failing a student.

I'm am Aussie,not to be mistaken with sheep land AKA New Zealand... :o

Trix is a true blue, dinky dye Ozzie Abordinginal, arnt ya trix?

And you know,my brudders and sitters are cumming to see ya,and my uncles,aunts,nephews,nieces and da 30 dogs,goats an sheep are all packed in da kingswood........ :D No,no Aboriginal in me,sorry. :D

No degree here, but four A's, four B's and 2 C's at G.C.S.E.

Had to drop out from my A-Levels halfway through due to financial reasons, hence my not going to Uni.

I am a lot bloody brighter then some of the graduates that I know though.

Yes,finances were strained for myself also.Australia used to have a system where you could "Borrow" the money needed for uni,and pay it back once a certain level of income was achieved.

How do you "shut down" your brain,after getting an education like that..

I can't!! :o

I went on to study an MA in Thai Culture at Chulalongkorn in BKK (50% complete so far), plus doing an online MBA right now from IOTA in Oz land, plus looking after the hotel 24/7, plus looking after my mad ex plus plus plus...

My family are all academics. My father was a polyglot and language professor. He was writing academic papers until the day he died at 89 years..

I cannot imagine retiring!! There is always something to do and a new language to learn.

Simon

Yes,the brain is like a machine,you have to oil that puppy constantly,or it rusts up!!

It comes to my mind that perhaps all these men claiming to have earned advanced degrees on the dating website...may be exaggerating their credentials just a tad to attract the lass of their dreams. Heck, ladies lie about their age and weight; why not men lying about their education. It's a known fact that many resumes contain false statements about diplomas and awards.

To respond to your poll, I have two masters degrees: an M.Ed. and an M.S. Never used either in my lengthy military career :-). But as someone else in this thread mentioned, it was almost considered a 'must have' in order to get promoted to field grade ranks. The U.S. military's officer corps, and to some extent its non-commissioned officer corps, has evolved into a highly competitve system, where it's 'up' or 'out'. We eat our young. Having a discriminator over the next guy is vital. All things being equal, if I have that M.S. and you don't...well, good luck in civilian life.

Edited by Fore Man

I actually had a masters degree until the medical board of Australia ripped it up :D:D ....

now i pack the shelves at woolworths with all the other University graduates that can't get jobs anywhere else :o

Edited by neverdie

I have a masters degree at ducking and diving.I got it at 14 years old, alongst with my street wise education.

Did me proud as i have retired at 49 and am considerably richer than yow.

BE HONEST,BE POSITIVE,BE TUNNEL VISIONED,

AND DO NOT LET ANY BODY STAND IN YOUR WAY

Hey patklang,nothing wrong with people whom have minimum education,like i said before many many people have gone on to achieve all kinds of wonderful things,many DID NOT complete high school!My grandfather was responsible for some of the largest bridges in Australia,his schooling?Equivalent of primary school!Went on to become one of Australias finest Engineers.Many people are limited by funds,and are in no way less intelligent then a person with a masters. :o

I actually had a masters degree until the medical board of Australia ripped it up :D:D ....

now i pack the shelves at woolworths with all the other University graduates that can't get jobs anywhere else :o

And a darn fine job you do,sir.Now can you please tell me WHY DO YOU PUT THE PEPSI SO HIGH UP??? :D

And a darn fine job you do,sir.Now can you please tell me WHY DO YOU PUT THE PEPSI SO HIGH UP??? :D

BECAUSE I CAN! You see its all about having the power! ps: I also stand on two milk creates. :D

BECAUSE I CAN! You see its all about having the power! ps: I also stand on two milk creates. :D

I knew it!! It's a conspiracy to make me buy that crappy LA ICE!!

Yes, a polyglot is someone who is fluent in many languages. My father grew up in Eygpt in an English household, going to a French school and speaking/writing Arabic for everything else. He went on to become a professor of Scandanavian languages at a UK university.

He often told me that a language was easy to learn once you had mastered the first 10! Both my brothers are Cambridge graduates, with one being mentored by Steve Hawking (clever chap).

I have no reason to doubt it,certainly his posts point to him being an educated man.

Regretfully, holding academic qualifications does not make one a clever person! Although I have used my intelligence in past years to establish my own businesses and manage them through to multi-million $ sell-out, I still got duped (like many before me) in Thailand!!

Now I am pretty poor (financially-speaking). But I am much the richer due to my 'ups' and 'downs' and in spite of all my personal problems in Thailand, I am very happy with life :o

Simon

Edited by simon43

I have an O'level in Woodwork, does that count?

BTW, Simon does have the accreditation he claims.

Sorry,what's an "O" level? Is that like,less then 1?

"O" level's pre-ceeded G.C.S.E's, chiang mai is showing his age :D

Well there you go! I didn't know that,so he has the equivalent of a high school degree?Is that like,in 1930 something..... :o

Yes, a polyglot is someone who is fluent in many languages. My father grew up in Eygpt in an English household, going to a French school and speaking/writing Arabic for everything else. He went on to become a professor of Scandanavian languages at a UK university.

He often told me that a language was easy to learn once you had mastered the first 10! Both my brothers are Cambridge graduates, with one being mentored by Steve Hawking (clever chap).

I have no reason to doubt it,certainly his posts point to him being an educated man.

Regretfully, holding academic qualifications does not make one a clever person! Although I have used my intelligence in past years to establish my own businesses and manage them through to multi-million $ sell-out, I still got duped (like many before me) in Thailand!!

Now I am pretty poor (financially-speaking). But I am much the richer due to my 'ups' and 'downs' and in spite of all my personal problems in Thailand, I am very happy with life :D

Simon

That Stephen Hawking fellow scares the crapper out of me.....how can anyone have a theory on everthing? :o

Now I am pretty poor (financially-speaking). But I am much the richer due to my 'ups' and 'downs' and in spite of all my personal problems in Thailand, I am very happy with life :o

Simon

Are you referring to Professor Steven Hawking??Impressive.Being happy with your life is more important then ANY qualification or wealth.

I met Hawking yonks ago when I went to see my bro in Cambridge. At that time, he was still able to speak, but only my bro could understand him, and so acted as his 'interpreter'. I remember there was a 'Man Alive' TV program all about him.

OT - but I cannot figure out how Steve is still alive. He should have died years ago. I think his pretty nurse (now wife) keeps him going.

Simon

Edited by simon43

I have two - an M.Ed (TESOL) and an MA (Leadership... stop laughing!) and am one unit off an MA in Theology - all from Australian universities. The first two I had to do to retain my professional status. The third I've done over 5 years purely out of interest. (And I'm not looking for a date over the net!) I agree with others who have said that people who work in big organizations like the military or education systems have to have a Masters now to get ahead, or just keep up really. I don't remember anything much from my MA Leadership, but we had to do it. I found the MA TESOL very helpful and have found the MA Theology really stimulating - and of no earthly use to my rapidly fading career. :o

How many people on Tv have a masters degree,and what in?

Master's in Clinical Social Work - only called an MSW though. Got it during, uhmmm... my third mid-life crisis. Took three years including summers, two years of internships working with folks with major mental illnesses and dual-diagnosis (major mental illness PLUS alcoholism/drug addiction). So yeah, the tough ones do exist out there still. I was lucky though...they took 25 years' working in other fields to count as 'life experience' so let me into the program. Now you *must* have the BSW. Pity, that. And no, I don't read minds - they beat that out of me in the first three weeks! :o It was so much easier when I did....sigh....

I have two - an M.Ed (TESOL) and an MA (Leadership... stop laughing!) and am one unit off an MA in Theology - all from Australian universities. The first two I had to do to retain my professional status. The third I've done over 5 years purely out of interest. (And I'm not looking for a date over the net!) I agree with others who have said that people who work in big organizations like the military or education systems have to have a Masters now to get ahead, or just keep up really. I don't remember anything much from my MA Leadership, but we had to do it. I found the MA TESOL very helpful and have found the MA Theology really stimulating - and of no earthly use to my rapidly fading career. :o

You planning on becoming a minister,or just did Theology for the insite?

How many people on Tv have a masters degree,and what in?

Master's in Clinical Social Work - only called an MSW though. Got it during, uhmmm... my third mid-life crisis. Took three years including summers, two years of internships working with folks with major mental illnesses and dual-diagnosis (major mental illness PLUS alcoholism/drug addiction). So yeah, the tough ones do exist out there still. I was lucky though...they took 25 years' working in other fields to count as 'life experience' so let me into the program. Now you *must* have the BSW. Pity, that. And no, I don't read minds - they beat that out of me in the first three weeks! :o It was so much easier when I did....sigh....

That was my impression of a master's,serious hard work,not just a walk in the park.At least in civil Engineering...

Now I am pretty poor (financially-speaking). But I am much the richer due to my 'ups' and 'downs' and in spite of all my personal problems in Thailand, I am very happy with life :D

Simon

Are you referring to Professor Steven Hawking??Impressive.Being happy with your life is more important then ANY qualification or wealth.

Thats him Trix....hes a smart chap....hes got brains on his <deleted>. :D Its his mechanical voice that scares me :o

Just to investigate things more deeply. The interaction with other students is really good, too. You realize you're not alone in questioning, challenging, etc.

Just to investigate things more deeply. The interaction with other students is really good, too. You realize you're not alone in questioning, challenging, etc.

A good friend of mine went to a Baptist theological college,felt it was his calling,a good man with a big heart.

I had a little look at one of the ads on Thaivisa(Kinda hard to miss them now...)called "Thailovelinks",and i thought to myself,what type of people use the internet to find a girlfriend/boyfriend?So i had a look at the men advertising on this site,and something odd stood out...Most had a MASTERS DEGREE?The majority of men on this site were from England,America,France and Germany,with a few from other countries such as Australia and New Zealand.One chap had a masters degree and owned a bar in Pattaya....Another was a thirty something year old teacher,yet another was a diver...! My question is-Did something change in the education world over the last ten years,that i don't know about?Are masters degrees now an easily obtainable document?I have only met two people whom i know to genuinely have masters degrees,one was a Chinese nurse,another was a fifty five year old Engineer.Are these people just full of it,or do they really have these degrees?How many people on Tv have a masters degree,and what in?

I have a master degree in a business related subject from a top British university. It certainly has helped me workwise. I'm not (yet) on Thailovelinks now, heading over to "have a look" now (edit: unfortunately blocked by the firewall in my office).

cheers

nm

Edited by NordicMan