Victory Monument - Where To Pick Up Bus # 551 To The Airport?

mrdome

Hi,

there is plenty info available how to take this and the other buses from Suvarnabhumi into Bangkok but not the other way around. Where is the pick up location for the # 551 at Victory Monument?

I guess the bus itself is easily recognizable (I have heard of someone getting cheated as some other bus pulls up and they yell 'airport', then charge more but don't even take you there. I've spent 4 years in BKK and am pretty street smart, so I doubt this would happen to me but with luggage you always look like easy prey.).

Also what can I expect in terms of travel time? My flight leaves at 8pm.

Thanks.

<snip> The single story (Ihave never ever experienced such a thing) was for the Onnut BTS=stop-and may very well have been in the times that UTapao was working as alternative to Swampy'closure.

As you say you have spent time here in BKK-I assume you know the rather big Vict.Mon circle. there is a daft simple reasoning in where buses stop: they always use the side (1 of 4 corners) that leads direct into the road they will go in;this bus thus of course toward DinDaeng=east. This is also the same as the final point they let people off-as it turns there=stays the odd 3-4 mins and returns. The is beside the former Robinson dept.store-now some clothing shopping mall. Coming off the BTS(but thats a usually unlikely combo-as there are far better alternatives)-go on the main viaduct-take the 2nd pair of stairs down-walk over the South-east section-near saxofone-cross road-and then get down. Buses stop wherever they see space-but also routes like 168, 69, 24,187 hail there-so you know thats the right space.

Since last week there are brandnew BRIGHT yellow buses on this route and these stand out here-as only the 92 also has them. These are NOT the orange older BMTA-AC buses anymore. You did not care to say if that was domestic or international, a weekday or not-or even friday-which will influence travel time by 100%. Count on 1 hr-plus the time for the free white shuttle at airport. This route is the ''local all stops'' along Ram IXroad and only gets on the expressway near Sri nakarin/after the final toll. Thus it may well get stuck in traffic too for a long distance.

Edited by soundman
Removed sarcastic comment.

It's best to get the NGV van to the airport from victory monument. It's in the general area of the bus stop. About to the left of the monument if you are facing the bts station. 40 baht direct to the airport using the expressway. About 20 minutes because the drivers go much too fast. No signs. Just find a van and ask for Sanam Bin Suvanabhumi.

It's the best of a bunch of bad options. I commute weekly and have tried them all.

Asanee

Why so rude? If you find the question below you, then don’t reply. If you reply please do so politely and in the spirit of friendship. We are here to help each other, not to try to make one-self appear superior to the person who asked the question.

Regards

Finlaco

Hi

Maybe you could explain briefly where you are coming from (in Bangkok) because Victory Monument is not the best place to pick up the bus. The effort involved with making the connection (bags, heat, humidity, etc...) will make the baht 100 saving not worth it. Unless u will be going to the airport on a daily basis, it is nearly always better to take a taxi. The cost savings over using the BTS+bus+ .... will be minimal. And when u arrive at the airport u will have to use a transfer bus from the bus terminal.

I prefer to use public transport when going to the airport (eg Singapore), but at the moment its too complicated in Bangkok. By bthe time u arrice at the airport u will be in need of a shower. Even when the new train is up and running, the cost savings will be minimal.

Regards

Finlaco

551 departs Victory Monument on the same side as Fashion Mall, the logo look almost like Robinson. If you know where Center One is, it is across the street. If your flight leaves at 8pm I would advise that you leave no later than 4pm, it can take up to 1 or 2 hours depending on traffic, and once you get to bus station would would have to transfer to the Airport Shuttle bus.

You are probably better off just taking the taxi.

I will be staying somewhere central in BKK and would arrive on the Skytrain. If there is a better option to pick up the bus or any other Van to the airport (I read the obus from On Nut is not recommended as the traffic gets too bad going that way) I'd appreciate it if someone would let me know.

I used to be an expert on the options from Don Muang into the city but this is my first time using Swampy.

Edited by mrdome

Thank you for your replies so far. Ok, how do I recognize the van?

the vans also have nr 551 on them-as is the bus route nr.

in fact-it all depends-also on day of week-sundays no prob at all. Buses seem to run only about ev 20/30 mins-and if there is a big jam on the way up-it can take much longer. you can also hail the bus beside Fortune town along DinDaeng-near to MRT stop RAM IX. again-you do not really have to know that al-a smile and asking around will also bring out someone pointing the way-and most likely you will be approached if carrying luggage by van-drivers.

• 2 months later...

I can report back now. I took this option on Thursday, April 23rd and it went very well. I arrived at Victory Monument at 5 minutes after 4 pm. You need to keep to the right when walking on the pedestrian walkway towards VM. Pass the Fashion Mall until you come to stairs leading down off to your right down to the bus island and vendor stalls. The van is off white and has a BTA logo on the doors. It will have a number like 551-16.

Important, you need to buy a 40 baht ticket from the vendor first. She will be seated at the tip of the bus island behind a pole and a sign on the pole saying 'Ayuthaya' (this has nothing to do with the bus to the airport). I almost didn't get a seat as I didn't have a ticket yet. Note: Space for luggage is a bit limited.

We left VM at 20 after 4 and arrived at the airport at 4:40 pm! Van dropped us you off right in front of the terminal, no transfer to the shuttle bus needed.

Thank you for all your help.

I can report back now. I took this option on Thursday, April 23rd and it went very well. I arrived at Victory Monument at 5 minutes after 4 pm. You need to keep to the right when walking on the pedestrian walkway towards VM. Pass the Fashion Mall until you come to stairs leading down off to your right down to the bus island and vendor stalls. The van is off white and has a BTA logo on the doors. It will have a number like 551-16.

Important, you need to buy a 40 baht ticket from the vendor first. She will be seated at the tip of the bus island behind a pole and a sign on the pole saying 'Ayuthaya' (this has nothing to do with the bus to the airport). I almost didn't get a seat as I didn't have a ticket yet. Note: Space for luggage is a bit limited.

We left VM at 20 after 4 and arrived at the airport at 4:40 pm! Van dropped us you off right in front of the terminal, no transfer to the shuttle bus needed.

interesting to read about an actual experience using these busses/Minivans.

can somebody in the know tell which of those busses of the 55x-series still run ?

I heard that several routes have been suspended since quite a while....

• 10 months later...

Anyone else used this option recently? I figure I may try it, and if things "fall apart" then I'll take a taxi.