Red Shirts Fighting Red Shirts In Chiang Mai

sriracha john

5 injured in Red-VS-Red clash in Chiang Mai

Chiang Mai - Five people were injured members of a red-shirted group attacked members of other red-shirted groups in this northern city Thursday night, police said.

The clash occurred at 10:30 pm at a rally site in front of Chiang Mai Railway station.

Three groups of red-shirted people - the Chiang Mai for Democracy, the Chiang Mai Liberal, and the Thaksin Loving People Club - held the rally.

These groups' leaders said they have left the Chiang Mai Loving People 51 because of conflicts of opinions.

They said the Chiang Mai Loving People sent its members to attack demonstrators at the rally site, injuring five of them.

One of the leaders, Mahawan Kawang, said he and other groups decided against joining the Chiang Mai Loving People because they could not agreed with the working style of the Chiang Mai Loving People.

Mae Ping police station deputy chief Pol Lt Col Samphan Sirima said the attackers and the injured used to be allies and work together.

- The Nation / 2009-02-13

Edited by sriracha john

they need a strong leader to unite them , to form a grassroots peoples movement against old style politics

No, they need to stop using violence as a political tool. They need to behave like decent civilized human beings.

Every time I read one of your ridiculous posts I cringe.

they need a strong leader to unite them , to form a grassroots peoples movement against old style politics

No, they need to stop using violence as a political tool. They need to behave like decent civilized human beings.

what on earth makes you think they are not decent civilised human beings ? because of a scuffle ?

or because you dont share their political views ?

you will find Thaksin supporters, and the red shirts on the whole a very nice bunch.

i hope they can unite under a leader and purpose and expose this current goverment for the farce that it is. :o

They need to behave like decent civilized human beings

They need to become decent and civilised. "Behaving like" would only fool people in giving them credit.

I won't be surprised if this news with nice pictures decorates tomorrow's front pages.

In reality it will be underroprted, just like their recent peaceful rally. There was some bloodshed on Thaivisa in their defence, though.

Point (1) The Nation newspaper highlighted this........accurate ? probably...(2)Now to the main point Re; "Reds fighting Reds" It is without doubt that many Redshirts backed Thaksin at the beginning of this crisis but many of them have now become aware of the dubious nature of his political agenda and his human rights record.Naturally those who are more concerned with these blemishes on Thaksins record are painted by Thaksins publicity machine as "Marxists" Hence even more division.

I thought it was common knowledge that the red shirt masses are more prone to violence than the yellow shirt masses. I recall reading accounts of interviews with Thaksin leaning Isaan farmers agreeing that if any yellow shirts came around them, they would murder them. Yes, a tendency towards murderous rhetoric is less civilized, yes?

You mean like the PAD? Seems the Reds haven't graduated to steel bars, guns, bombs, murder and kidnapping yet. Mind as the PAD never did face the courts (shock), it does kinda lay out a road map for successful insurrection. :o

Sorry, the PAD thread is over there - - - >

Any updates on the Red Shirts fighting with each other?

Hopefully, the reds keeping fighting and injuring themsleves everyday.

At this rate, in no time, all reds will be gone! :D

Peace to Thailand! :D

Hopefully, the reds keeping fighting and injuring themsleves everyday.

At this rate, in no time, all reds will be gone! :o

Better dead than red?

Joseph Raymond McCarthy would surely agree with you. (but then I see your question mark)

But!, I myself think that I would rather be "red than dead"

Edited by john b good

Off-topic posts and replies to them have been deleted.

--

Maestro

Thank you. I for one would like the Chiang Mai forum to remain a friendly and respectful place to be! :o

I'd also prefer to discuss the actual national politics involved rather than guessing why some activist political groups may not like other groups sharing roughly similar political goals. (But I recognize that this is not the place to do that)

Whilst I am unhappy to hear of more violence, this certainly does answer questions I was putting to CMSally about the various red groups up there!... now if we can only find out which are actually UDD and centrist UDD at that!

Off-topic posts and replies to them have been deleted.

--

Maestro

Thank you. I for one would like the Chiang Mai forum to remain a friendly and respectful place to be! :o

I'd also prefer to discuss the actual national politics involved rather than guessing why some activist political groups may not like other groups sharing roughly similar political goals. (But I recognize that this is not the place to do that)

I'd also like to thank Maestro and am appreciative that your most recent post was without the previous flaming.

I can appreciate the difficulty with keeping the discussion on a local level, but I'm curious about the particular aspect of the different Red Shirt groups that were fighting in Chiang Mai particularly because, just as jdinasia pointed out, a very recent post indicated there was but a solitary Red Shirt group present there.

Are any local residents familiar with the mentioned Red Shirt groups, particuarly the Chiang Mai for Democracy, the Chiang Mai Liberal, and the Thaksin Loving People Club groups?

Who are their leaders? What is their individual agenda or platform? etc.

Edited by sriracha john

There was a concert rally by the reds last night at Mae Hia market near Night Safari area.

As usual like any 'festive occasion' free beer, free cheap liquor and free food to attract the hungry crowd! :D

It was very crowded and the police were kept busy.

I asked few that attended the rally what was spoken and what were the 'messages' . None can remember or say anything other than they were too busy enjoying the free drinks and food! :o

Chiang Mai for Democracy,

Chiang Mai Liberal,

Thaksin Loving People Club

Chiang Mai Loving People 51

One of the leaders, Mahawan Kawang

There was a concert rally by the reds last night at Mae Hia market near Night Safari area.

As usual like any 'festive occasion' free beer, free cheap liquor and free food to attract the hungry crowd! :D

I asked few that attended the rally what was spoken and what were the 'messages' . None can remember or say anything other than they were too busy enjoying the free drinks and food! :o

Thank you for that.

Were you able to ascertain which "reds" they were? I know it probably was not an issue before now, but as they've splintered into these different fighting Red Shirt groups, it'd be worthwhile to see who's doing what around town, what they're saying, and whether or not their audience is even listening.

Edited by sriracha john

Chiang Mai for Democracy,

Chiang Mai Liberal,

Thaksin Loving People Club

Chiang Mai Loving People 51

One of the leaders, Mahawan Kawang

Thank you for that.

Were you able to ascertain which "reds" they were? I know it probably was not an issue before now, but as they've splintered into these different fighting Red Shirt groups, it'd be worthwhile to see who's doing what around town, what they're saying, and whether or not their audience is even listening.

Now that the reds are split into so many other 'denominations' , it will be interesting to see what kind of red rally was that.

Will check that out tomorrow and post! :D

I thought it was common knowledge that the red shirt masses are more prone to violence than the yellow shirt masses. I recall reading accounts of interviews with Thaksin leaning Isaan farmers agreeing that if any yellow shirts came around them, they would murder them. Yes, a tendency towards murderous rhetoric is less civilized, yes?

Listening to redshirt rhetoric, man-on-the-street interviews and so on, that's the general impression I receive as well.

As for old-style politics, both the reds and the yellows are following the old patronage system to the letter. :o Both claim they are vanguards for the future whether it's 'new politics' or 'people power.' Both are exploited by personalities deeply entrenched in old politics.

There does also appear to be more divisiveness among the reds.

Edited by wayfarer108

I agree with that.

And you'd expect division right, as not everyone comes from the same political corner, they just are currently somewhat united in not liking the way the current government came to power.

I think you will find that it ranges from 'people who just like Thaksin' to staunch communists and everything in between. I thought Giles Ungpakorn latest article/manifesto was very interesting reading, but even within that single manifesto there were many different angles to the situation.