Thai Democrats To Launch Major Campaign

george

Democrats to launch major campaign

BANGKOK: -- The main opposition Democrat Party is preparing to launch a major political campaign to win the support of Bangkok residents.

The Democrats have been stung into action by a recent opinion poll which showed that their popularity in the capital had fallen.

The Democrats plan to launch their campaign on 10 January in the city’s main public field, Sanam Luang, the party’s spokesman, Ong-art Klarmpaiboon told TNA.

A recent survey predicted that the ruling party, the Thai Rak Thai, would win 35 out of more than 50 districts in the Bangkok metropolitan areas.

Mr. Ong-art dismissed the poll results, but said his party would target Bangkok residents during the forthcoming election campaign.

Bangkok has been a Democrat stronghold for decades, the party spokesman said.

In the recent elections for Bangkok governor, the Democrat candidate won comfortably.

The Democrats will now pay more attention to Bangkok in the light of the poll, the party’s deputy leader, Khun Ying Kalaya Sophonpanich said.

--TNA 2004-01-07

don't get me wrong, im a Democrat fan , but by the look of this new leader that replace Chuang, he doesn't look like the got the skill or any bright idea, seem like a dead beat to me, should of let the younger guy (what was his name) took over and get the job done right.

don't get me wrong, im a Democrat fan , but by the look of this new leader that replace Chuang, he doesn't look like the got the skill or any bright idea, seem like a dead beat to me, should of let the younger guy (what was his name) took over and get the  job done right.

The Democrats are hopelessly split between the old guard, ie Banyat Bantadtan, a nice and decent man, yet colourless and retroactive rather than proactive, and Aphisit Vejjajiva, the 'young' blood, sophisticated, educated in England, but perhaps only appealing to an urban minority, not the grassroots nationwide.Their last leadership election was a bitter struggle with both sides seemingly irreconcilable. On top of that General Sanan broke awaywith a sizeable faction forming Mahachon after being unable to influence the course of the last censure debate.

Banyat is on record as saying he will resign if he loses the next election, a certainty, so it looks like Aphisit's chance will come; he himself has said the party may need to get smaller before it can grow, a purification of ideology as it were. But the danger there may be the party sinks into insignificance.

Personally I think their best bet after the election is to make Aphisit the leader with prominent Southerners holding deputy leader posts, ie Dr Surin, Jurin Laksanavisit, (but they already have 8 deputy leaders including these names!)

bannork