Cheap Source Of Meat

JXXXL

I feed my dogs raw meat and bones and I am looking for a cheaper source. My wife has been buying pork and beef at the wet market and we pay about 120 and 140/kilo respectively. I'm not sure if you save anything buying in bulk. The quality isn't important either as the bones and chewy stuff is good for their teeth.

Edited by JXXXL

JXL,

I buy from the market, I buy the bones & stuff they sell for 30baht per kg...people here apparently put it in soup etc....I find most of the bones have really good amount of meat on the bone (and fat)...dogs love it.

just about every market ive been too i have been able to buy at, id be surprised if you cannot, you might just have to ask, it probably wont be stacked on the meat table

JXL,

I buy from the market, I buy the bones & stuff they sell for 30baht per kg...people here apparently put it in soup etc....I find most of the bones have really good amount of meat on the bone (and fat)...dogs love it.

just about every market ive been too i have been able to buy at, id be surprised if you cannot, you might just have to ask, it probably wont be stacked on the meat table

Thanks ND, I will go check out some of the markets and maybe ask the butcher if he can give me something custom. What I need are non weight bearing bones like necks and ribs with a lot of meat on them. I've seen big soup bones but my dogs can't gnash those up and eat them.

One issue in countries like Thailand is nothing goes to waste and has value. I some western countries, butchers will give away good dog scraps because people just wont buy that meat at any price. Same with guts, they often cost more that the good meat.

Interesting idea about the stray dogs :o

There are a few places around town famous for their 'soup kraduk' and you can go ask them about a bones pick-up on off hours/ later in the evenings I'm sure. I know alot of places do this. I once ate with my tgf at a place inside Chang Puak gate that's open till really late famous for their soup like I was saying. They do a good steady business always. Wish I had a name to give you, but I don't. But if you're inside the moat heading counter-clockwise around the city along the north side of the moat, you go left at the Chang Puak Gate and head inward. It should be within the first block on your right hand side. They have noodle soups of course, but they feature the boiled pork bones. Bring your translator along n see what they say. Good luck. (PS, it's been so long since I ate there, I'm hoping it's not the street rt after Chang Pauk or the one after that... but I'm betting I'm right anyway.) As far as I know, refuse bones are sold pretty darn cheap. Maybe let us know what you find out.

Egged on by Nienke, who implied I was being a cheap charlie for feeding That Dog with the stuff in the biggest least expensive bag that Makro can offer, we went to the market this afternoon to buy some of the nutritious bones I've been reading about on this thread. Well, they're not available in our market or so my girlfriend was told. She came back with 40 baht's worth of meat that she was told was dog food and 80 baht a kilo.

"It's what we made soup out of in Isaan, and they sell it for dogs here." she said as we unpacked it.

"I expect they just didn't want to miss a sale." I told her fighting back the almost irresistible urge to add that in Isaan they make almost anything that slithers, scuttles, hops or just happens to drop dead near the pot into a nutritious and delicious (I'm told) soup and that many of these ingredients would almost certainly be illegal to serve to pets in Chiang Mai.

Where are the 40 baht a kilo goodies?

PS In the last day or two The Dog has found that close up barking and looming is what has been p*ssing the cat off all these weeks and that a gentler approach results in a better play date. He is now almost a member of the Greenside family. I'm told I could learn from this but I'm not certain exactly what she means....

474733148_dArb6-XL.jpg

at the small market near my house in bangkok they sale chicken bones for dogs. They would even chop them up into smaller pieces, if you ask them.

it's believed in the west that chicken bones are sharp and should not be given to pets, but my cats eat them without any problems. Same with thai dogs

Egged on by Nienke, who implied I was being a cheap charlie for feeding That Dog with the stuff in the biggest least expensive bag that Makro can offer,

oooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhoooooooooooooooooo :o:D

I implied completely utterly nutthing! I merely asked what you were feeding your dog and stating that if you feed any dog food bought in a supermarket you'd better try some higher quality food.

Still you got one of the most gorgeous dogs I've seen. :D

Back on topic: I buy my chicken at the muang mai market. There is a shop that sells only chicken. Last time, about a week ago, I paid 48 baht a kilo (for a whole chicken), necks were 23 baht a kilo.

On the local market I buy for 80 baht a kilo tripes, lungs, intestines, soft rib bones with lots of meat on it, brains, testicles, thyroid, and what ever is in the 80b/k pile. Marrow bones are about 20 baht a kilo, but the dogs get these only as recreational bones and not as a meal. The pork soup bones are not suitable as meals as well.

Pork rib are 100 baht a kilo or something (forgot the exact price).

Liver, kidneys and red meat are pricy.

You can also try raw fish, like mackerel. Unfortunately my dogs rather starve to death than to eat that. They prefer the canned sardines and mackerel (Without the tomato sauce, naturally). But these cans contain MSG.

You can also try raw fish, like mackerel. Unfortunately my dogs rather starve to death than to eat that. They prefer the canned sardines and mackerel (Without the tomato sauce, naturally). But these cans contain MSG.

OK, the cheap charlie bit was just dramatic license :o but you've given me an idea: our cat is crazy for the tomato sauce that comes with the sardines and mackerel so send it on over. I won't tell him about the MSG so unless he cracks my Firefox login or reads this thread from over my shoulder he'll just keep on lapping it up....

greenside

you would cheat on a thai cat coz it cant read or understand english ?

you swine : )

thats not nice .

dave2

His command of English is fine. I'm just trying to keep him off cryptography or he'll be ordering cases of Norwegian salmon direct from Makro.

475162859_Zfd6i-L-0.jpg

Looks too innocent, doesn't he...

greenside.

WOW nice cat !

almost as cute as one of mine : )

enjoy

dave2

back to the dog food !

I have seen chopped meat in a freezer located in the pet section of the Rim Ping Supermarket at Nim City. I assume the others have something similar. Don't know about the price though.

As for giving chicken bones to dogs and cats... It's like playing the lottery but with a lot, lot better odds of winning. Of course, in this case the reward is a sharp piece of bone perforating something in the gut. Chicken necks are okay, though.

There is a distinct difference between cooked and raw bones. A dog's digestive trac is designed to digest RAW bones.

Cooked, steamed, BBQ-ed bones are dangerous, whether that's from poultry, pig, lamb etc., or carcas, necks or cooked bones chopped in tiny pieces.

The prepared frozen packs one can buy in the supermarkets I don't prefer to give to my dogs as I don't have a clue what's in there. To me it both doesn't look and smell good.

And the winner of the photo contest is ............... ta-ta-ta-da ......... Gorgeous cat! You need to clean his ears, though, GS. :o BTW, how do you know it's a HE? He's pretty young. Or in a couple of months you find out he's a she. Oops!

I would think that if a pet (cat, dog) learns to eat bones from their mother from the young age - they should be fine. In the nature, in wild, they would eat all pray, including bones, if they are hungry and it's difficult to find new food.

in the west pets are fed on the processed foods from an early age, so the risk of bones braking guts are higher, because they don't know how to brake and eat them properly. The only problem which has happened to my cats are bones stucked somewhere in the jaw and had to pull them out.

And the winner of the photo contest is ............... ta-ta-ta-da ......... Gorgeous cat! You need to clean his ears, though, GS. :o BTW, how do you know it's a HE? He's pretty young. Or in a couple of months you find out he's a she. Oops!

Actually the picture is about three or four months and we both established his gender and relieved him of it in the meantime. Cleaned his ears out too!

Sooner or later I'll get a cat/dog play date picture with some luck.

Ack! Bad memory! My dog went crazy last summer, with his back feet jabbing and tearing at his mouth; I took him to the vet and they extracted a piece of bone that had stuck through the roof of his mouth 1 1/2 inches! (he wouldn't let me open his mouth wide enough to see it) they said he would have died of a brain infection in another few days. As is, I felt like HORRIBLE MAMA for waiting until after work to take him!!! All well that ends well, but I'd never go through it again...

I would think that if a pet (cat, dog) learns to eat bones from their mother from the young age - they should be fine. In the nature, in wild, they would eat all pray, including bones, if they are hungry and it's difficult to find new food.

in the west pets are fed on the processed foods from an early age, so the risk of bones braking guts are higher, because they don't know how to brake and eat them properly. The only problem which has happened to my cats are bones stucked somewhere in the jaw and had to pull them out.

Many dogs don't chew, they just gulp the food in. In all the years I'm feeding a raw diet to my own and some guest animals, I haven't had the problem with bones sticking in the mouth. That doesn't mean that that will never happen. I did had once a small dog that ate so bl**** fast, that he would choke on his food no matter what. For him we chopped the food in tiny little pieces. I also have had dogs almost choked on their dry food meals.

Most dogs that I know off went cold-turkey on raw food. They never learned that from their mother, they just knew how to eat it.

Most dogs that went over on raw food also improved considerably in health.

I switched my dog to raw food after he got skin allergies. I started doing a lot of research and found the arguments for raw food extremely compelling. Actually, there are two general types of raw diets, one being BARF or meaty bones and the other is that ground up stuff you by in the market.

First off, the problem with dry food is it's mostly grain or rice which dogs don't tolerate well. Dogs are 100% carnivores and their systems aren't designed to process anything but meat and bones. People think dogs should eat a balanced diet, but that utter BS because carnivores aren't meant to eat a balanced diet. A high carb diet causes obesity, tooth decay, and all sorts of other ailments. Dogs' turds are also huge and smelly when they eat grain based food. Also also, most of the benefits of raw food are lost with that raw ground stuff.

My dog older dog has improved in so many way since he's been eating raw, and we've been feeding our new puppy raw since he was old enough to eat. It's actually not much more then feeding them dry food as the high quality kibble is really expensive.

There are lot of myths about feeding dogs so I recommend you do your research before coming to any conclusions.

Oh, the thing about dogs being pure carnivores is the same for cats, they do much better on raw food too.

Edited by JXXXL

One of the side effects of getting rid of UBC is that you suddenly find you've got plenty of time to follow the animals around with a camera and take play pictures... :o

475492846_xf2tK-L.jpg

Cold nose huh?

475493661_JQzzr-L.jpg

Just missed (again).

475492771_zfwnf-L.jpg

There you go Nienke, an ex boy.

475491421_KBJbj-L.jpg

Just what is it about the cat's bum that makes it irresistible?